First Ultrasound-didn't go well

jcleary10

Reaction score
Hey! So we have been TTC for over 2 years. We had one failed IUI with femara and then our second IUI was successful and we are pregnant.

Last week I had an early ultrasound at 6+5 to check development/viability. I measured only 6+0.
The ultrasound tech said that she couldn't get a clear picture though so it may have thrown off the measurement a little. I have also read that if you implant late, it can cause development to not be right on track either. I am SURE about the dates because we had IUI so I had a trigger shot, IUI the next day, followed up with Timed intercourse...The only thing is I have 30 day cycles instead of the standard 28 day ones, so this may change the dates a little since they count from LMP. I don't really know about that....

Not only was the baby measuring behind, but they could not get a measurement on the heartbeat. It was there flickering and fluttering, we saw it, but they couldn't get the machine to pick it up. So I am really nervous.

I go back tomorrow to check to see if things are better. I know it could go either way. My doctor didn't seem very optimistic or discouraged...just kind of that things are 50/50.

I know a lot of people are behind during the first few ultrasounds and catch up....I also know sometimes heartbeats are not detectable at 6 weeks...but I am really freaking out!

does anyone have similar experiences?

I was 4 days behind at my scan but they weren't concerned. If you've seen a heartbeat that's good. Hopefully tomorrow you get more reassurance

I do and I don't. I will say that they should not be counting you from your lmp if you had an IUI with trigger. They should count you from the day after your IUI. That is your conception date. You are 2 weeks pregnant on that date.
As for your slow growth and heartbeat, a few days can make a HUGE difference this early. There is cardiac activity and it's happened right on time. It might just be starting and that's okay. In a few days it will likely be stronger. Try to relax if you can. I know easier said than done. I've had 4 losses and 11 IUIs with trigger. I kinda know what you're going through. FX'd for you!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. When I had a scan at 5+4 all we saw was a gestational sac that measured 4 weeks (5+4 was by ovulation whilst lmp was 7 weeks). My baby is now 6 months.
This 6 weeks is a crucial time. I did a lot of reading and I remember that at 6+3 the general consensus was it's quite early to see a heartbeat.
So I think there's hope.

Try not to worry sweetheart xxx I know it's hard but you've got to remember, baby is only the size of an apple seed at the moment, so measurements are extremely difficult. Even at your 12 week scan the form usually says +/- 4 days as it's never 100% accurate, especially at this stage :hugs:
The fact you saw a heartbeat flickering, whether it could be measured or not is a great sign! As mentioned above its quite rare to see and measure the heartbeat until around 6+5 and even then, it's iffy <3

I was very sure of my dates as my hubby and I were only intimate once that month and my first ultrasound where I should have been over six weeks they dated me at 5 weeks and no heartbeat. I thought I was out for sure. I went back for a follow up ultrasound exactly a week later and they dated me at 7+2 (exactly where I thought I should be) with a strong heartbeat.
Give it a week and hopefully you will be right where you expect too.

I went for an ultrasound (intervaginal) when I was 6+5 during my first pregnancy. Baby measured 6+1 and we saw a flicker but couldn't get a reading or hear the heartbeat. My doctor told me that was totally normal and to be expected at that stage. That baby is now 2 years old and happy and healthy! I think there's still quite a lot of hope for you and your baby, hon.

early scans can be off, and like you said it depends on when you implanted etc

fingers crossed for you, the early weeks are quite a worrying time.

all the best x

With this pregnancy I had spotting and an early scan at 6+5 and saw baby but no heartbeat, at 8 weeks had repeat scan and heart beat was there! And I am now 15 weeks pregnant, at such an early stage development varies and a couple of days can make a huge difference, it is also hard to measure gestation at such an early stage to that is why they wait till 12 week to do routine scan so don't give up xxx

When I was 7 weeks, I had a scan. Showed a flickering and 6mm baby that showed 6 weeks. The sonographer just said all was fine!! Xx

just thought I would post an update. Things did not go well yesterday at all. The baby is still measuring 6 weeks so there was NO growth in a week. We did detect a heartbeat, but sadly it was only 50 BPM. The doctor has sent me home to prepare to miscarry. So far no cramping or spotting at all. I go back Wednesday to have one more ultrasound and if no changes, will have a D&C. The sad thing is, I still have pregnancy symptoms. Sore breasts still, more sore than they have been, and was sick this morning. What kind of cruel joke is that? =( Thanks for your well wishes. Just wanted to let you know.. Will continue to update.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sounds like we are in a very similar situation. My first ultrasound showed no heartbeat and much too small of a baby for as far along as I was. My second ultrasound one week later showed very little growth and a heartbeat of 66. I go again for a third ultrasound on Tuesday. At my practice they do not intervene if there is a heartbeat.as I was. Its not over until it's over and of course I know that odds are against me and I worry but I will be hopeful until it's definitive. Big hugs to you.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've had mcs and an mmc too. Big hugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->