Fish fingers

We serve them up with homemade chips/new potatoes and garden peas

alfie has fish fingers and he loves them. We get the birds eye ones, instead of mashing you could give it him whole as a finger food.

<3

As others have said, check the content on the ones you buy and they should be fine just cut up for your LO :) everything in moderation x

We usually serve them with pasta, homemade wedges/chips or rarely oven chips; and either sweetcorn, peas or green beans on the side xx

Ahh here we go, sorry I forgot! This is a serving for 2 adults and 1 baby but that should translate to a few servings for baby that you can freeze.

300g (10 1/2ozs) white fish fillet (e.g. pollack, cod, haddock)
1 egg
50g (2oz) plain flour
50g (2oz) polenta (or coarsely ground cornmeal/maizeflour)
oil or butter, unsalted for frying

Slice the fish into chunky fingers, making sure there are no bones.
Beat the egg in a shallow dish and mix together the flour and polenta in another dish. Dip each fish finger into the beaten egg so it's covered on all sides, then roll it in the flour and polenta mix so that it is evenly coated.
Heat the oil or butter in a pan. Fry the fish fingers in the hot oil or butter, turning as necessary, until they are brown and crispy on at least two sides.
Serve warm, with new potatoes and steamed vegatables, or a salad.

I make my own similarly to the above recipe but instead of flour and cornmeal I use matzo meal only (the medium or coarse variety), its made purely from wheat flour and water but tastes really delicious-I very lightly fry the homemade fish fingers in my cast iron pan with just a light coating of oil. I tend to use pollock, ocado do a fairly large pack of small pollock fillets (enough for 4-6 people's worth of fish fingers) for only £1.80 though the price varies slightly based on pack weight xx

Evan has them :) Birds Eye ones. I just cut it in half then he has 2 bits to play with. I serve it with lots of veg, usually cauliflour, brocoli and carrots or mixed veg and if I can be arsed I'll make some wedges too :)

We have the sainsburys basics ones too, they are great! Aidan eats 2 of them with home made potato wedges and peas.

it's ok to give them fish already? my dr said she couldn't have fish till she's after 3, i was kinda bummed. cause we love fish. but i wasn't sure if i should listen to her or not.

many fish fingers nowadays are relatively low in salt and contain no nasties whatsoever; we occasionally give half or one of a whole one to our boy (we are BLW) not sure about birds eye ones we get the sainburys basics ones as they are smaller than others so ideal for LO and don't contain a lot of salt nor do they contain any additives-so yes it would be safe. The only other processed frozen food we give to LO is oven chips really xx

Have you noticed that basics foods always seem to have less fat, salt and sugar? The tinned tomatoes hardly have any salt. They are just what is says on the tin!

OP-we occassionaly use them with new potatoes and veggies. They are great for finger foods. Just check the brands for salt and added sugar and try to get the most "fishy" ones!

it's ok to give them fish already? my dr said she couldn't have fish till she's after 3, i was kinda bummed. cause we love fish. but i wasn't sure if i should listen to her or not.

Never heard that one before. Did they give a reason? I thought pretty much everything was ok after 6 months, apart from honey, too much salt and seafood maybe?

Never heard that one before. Did they give a reason? I thought pretty much everything was ok after 6 months, apart from honey, too much salt and seafood maybe?

Maybe he meant shellfish? I have read and been told that shellfish is a nono until after 2years.

Yes it would make sense to be shellfish.

many fish fingers nowadays are relatively low in salt and contain no nasties whatsoever; we occasionally give half or one of a whole one to our boy (we are BLW) not sure about birds eye ones we get the sainburys basics ones as they are smaller than others so ideal for LO and don't contain a lot of salt nor do they contain any additives-so yes it would be safe. The only other processed frozen food we give to LO is oven chips really xx

Have you noticed that basics foods always seem to have less fat, salt and sugar? The tinned tomatoes hardly have any salt. They are just what is says on the tin!

OP-we occassionaly use them with new potatoes and veggies. They are great for finger foods. Just check the brands for salt and added sugar and try to get the most "fishy" ones!

I also noticed this (sorry i butted in lol) we buy tesco value tinned tomatos and carrots (and some other tinned veg) its exactly the same as the proper brand ones, and they do contain less salt/sugar!! win win situation :haha: :winkwink:

I also noticed this (sorry i butted in lol) we buy tesco value tinned tomatos and carrots (and some other tinned veg) its exactly the same as the proper brand ones, and they do contain less salt/sugar!! win win situation :haha: :winkwink:

I suppose they are so cheap because they dont have lots of added ingredients! Totally win win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->