Flat Nipples & breastfeeding

barbikins

Mom to DD (RIP) & DS
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

For any fellow women with flat nipples, what have you done in order to help with breast feeding? Thanks!

I had pretty flat nipples. I had to roll them to get them to pop up more in the beginning to help him latch. After a bit of use they pop out like normal as the fibers holding them in break. I did have some pretty intense pain right when he latched in the beginning and I suspect it was because they were flat but it went away after a few weeks :)

Some people might suggest using a shield but they can cause so many other problems I would avoid it at all costs

I bought a Lansinoh latch assist, which is designed to pull the nipple out a bit. I used if for a week or so then didn't need it anymore. I have (had) very flat nipples. It was painful for me in the first few weeks too, but it's fine now and my nipples aren't flat anymore. Xxxx

Thanks for the tips! Well I did a bunch of reading of course after I posted and found out that long as my nipples can erect with touch/cold, they're not true flat. But they're flat other wise and really, I don't have protruding nipples.

leigh, you're talking about that thing that looks like a horn? LOL You pump it a bit to get your nipples up?

I also have a latch assist. It was a must at the beginning for me and yes your right, it does look like a purple horn lol.
It turns out mine were so flat due to engorgement and the midwife said I had lazy nipples that are very slow to react to stimulation.
The funny thing was, I constantly had sticky out nipples when pregnant and constantly looked cold :haha:

x

Yes it looks just like a horn haha ;-) it was very useful xxx

LOL Thanks girls! I was googling some images & saw it. I think that may be useful to me. Using a breast pump also helps. But I think a quick fix would be the manual horn-pump :) LOL

I have VERY flat nipples. My DD refuses point blank to latch without a nipple shield. Even a lactation consultant said there is no way she will do it for now and to wait until she is bigger to wean her off. To be honest, if I had avoided shields the cost would have been not breastfeeding at all.

Hopefully I wont need sheilds but I'll look into them if it becomes an issue. I've read that once a baby can take a good latch it shouldn't be a problem.

But do you ladies w/flat nipples always have flat? Mine erects easily. Which I thnk should help but my nipples dont protrude much.

Mine will become erect but they are very small and short. My DD latched for the first 8 days then began refusing.

Oh geez, OK so I have the same type of nipples as you. I guess I best be prepared I may have lots of issues.

Honestly you may not run into any issues, mine were minimal. I love what the LLL leader at the meeting I went to last week said: it's breastfeeding not nipple feeding :thumbup:

Thanks girls! I'll have a lot to learn about this. I should probably make sure to have a breast pump incase it becomes a challenge & baby just needs to eat.

Just keep some shields just in case. My DD was tiny so that also played a part in my issues.

I'll be prepared for sure. If going gets tough, I"ll try what ever I need to in order to breast feed.

I saw a lactation consultant because I was so upset at using the shields. After trying to get DD to latch without them and her throwing a pretty protracted fit she told me that my littlie was gaining beautifully and was healthy. Who cares how she was feeding, she was feeding and that was all that counted.
So good on you for asking the questions and being prepared.

Thanks, HBgirl! I'll be sure to find a lactation consultant for sure.
I am concerned about my nipples so I feel like it won't be so strait forward for me.

For LO to latch on properly during breastfeeding, they need to be taking the nipple and areola into their mouths. So I wouldn't worry too much about having flat or small nipples as your LO should never be suckling just from them. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->