Flathead advice

Jimmy roaster

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for their kind words and advice over the last year.
I haven't posted much but have used this site for reference/reassurance loads.

My twin boys were born at 28 weeks (last September) it's been a challenging year, so much worry and emotion, more than anyone should have to go through. However after a slow start my 2 boys are doing fantastic!

I do have one question about flathead as one of my boys head shape is particularly long. The doctors and health visitor don't see it as serious but it is more than likely due to his prematurity. Will this begin to correct itself as he grows up? At the moment the hair is "sprouting" from the top of the head and less so on the sides, this seems to exaggerate the head shape too.

As no-one (including my partner) seem over concerned I am wondering/hoping it is just my worry. But anyone with older babies/toddlers that can share experience would be very welcome.

To everyone who is going through the mill at the moment during this first year I send my love, feel free to pm my any questions or worrys, believe me I've been through it and it does get better x

Glad to hear your boys are doing well.

Flat head is very common in preemies or toaster head which our neonatal called it! :haha:

I can't remember exactly when my lo head became more normal shape but she is 19 months now and her head is ok.

If the doctors aren't worried take it as a good sign.

Glad to hear your boys are doing well.

Flat head is very common in preemies or toaster head which our neonatal called it! :haha:

I can't remember exactly when my lo head became more normal shape but she is 19 months now and her head is ok.

If the doctors aren't worried take it as a good sign.

Thanks for the reply, did it continue to improve after the first year? She looks gorgeous in the picture

Hi

TBH I can't remember when it resolved but I think it still did after the first year. I think as she put on more weight and grew it became less noticeable.

She is only about 7 months in that photo. I keep meaning to update it!

Hi

TBH I can't remember when it resolved but I think it still did after the first year. I think as she put on more weight and grew it became less noticeable.

She is only about 7 months in that photo. I keep meaning to update it!

Be great to see a recent one

I will try and put one on tomorrow as I am on the iPad and it doesn't allow you to add photo's

My 26 weeker really had a very prononounced flat head for a long time. The physio gave us what is called a peanut (a little beanie pillow). She had a real preferance to lie/sleep with her head turned to the right which meant that her right side was noticibly flatter. Because that side of her head was flatter it would naturally fall to that side which just perpetuated the problem. We started to notice that it was having an impact on the front of her head too, as though one side of her head was slightly bulbous! We did use the 'Peanut' but it said that it should not be used unless the baby was supervised, so it could not be used during the night when we were all asleep. Instead we used to roll ub blankets and place them in the top right hand side of her moses basked so that she could not roll her head all the way over to the right, and it seemed to work!

We were so worried about it, my sister was also very concerned on our behalf and offered to lend us the money to have private treatment. There is a treaqtment tat involves wearing something similar to a crash helmet, that is specially moulded to encourage the skull to even out, but it is very costly, and the earlier the treatment is started the better the results from what I can gather.
I did ask Amelia's consultant for advice about whether she thought this might be something we should seriously consider, and she put me off. She said that although childern who have had this treatment DO seem to show improvement in their head shape afterwards, it's difficult to guage how effective the treatment has been as usually this problem becomes less obvious by 2yrs anyway.

If you notice bubs has a preference for sleeping on one side I would do the rolled up blanket trick....otherwise just sit tight and I am sure that it will improve. Millie's head looks pretty normal now, although I can still feel that one side is slightly flatter, but you would never see it just by looking! :winkwink:

Our 30 weeker is the same, we only noticed when he came home but one side was completely flat & now with the addition of hair on the top & fuzz in the sides it's mite noticeable! He's a year next month & since he's started sitting up ive noticed it's not as pronounced. Our phn said to try putting a face cloth under the flat side of his head under the mattress to elevate it, I didnt think a facecloth would work & used a towel. He rolled face first into the cot! I think with everything we've come through a bit of flat head is the least of our worries :)

Hey. My Lo had/has a flat head on one side but when I mentioned it to his consultant he said it is very common in preemies (I get really protective of him when hes upright and people can see it) I've bought him a baby pillow, its memory foam and his head does seem to be rounding off a bit. Its just hard because obviously the earlier the baby is born the more time he/she is gonna spend lying on their back and most babies find a preferance to a side to lye on. I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think its harmful. x

Hello
I can't believe your twins are almost a year old, Jimmy Roaster! I remember when they were born :)

I used to worry so much about Sophie's head too but it's absolutely fine now. I think as she put on weight and got more hair it resolved itself. It was particularly bad in neonatal after 10 weeks on CPAP because the hat had worn all her hair away on the top and she only had a bit at the sides.

x

Hello
I can't believe your twins are almost a year old, Jimmy Roaster! I remember when they were born :)

I used to worry so much about Sophie's head too but it's absolutely fine now. I think as she put on weight and got more hair it resolved itself. It was particularly bad in neonatal after 10 weeks on CPAP because the hat had worn all her hair away on the top and she only had a bit at the sides.

x

Reassuring as always. Much love x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->