Flip side of the coin

Lisa nanny

Reaction score
I have just been informed that my son is going to be a dad:shock:

He is 16 years old now but was 15 at the time of conception.

He is due to start college next week.

What happens legally. Obviously whilst in full time education he cannot contribute to the baby. How does he stand regarding child support as they were both underage at the time.

Please do not get me wrong - these things happen and I haven't hit the roof, unfortunately her father has. Poor girl is currently staying at her friends house because her dad threw her out and the rows there are terrible at the moment. Whilst my son is starting college next week the poor girl has to continue at school for the next few months - bless her. I have only just found out so have not spoken to the girl myself. But I am not one to pass blame - they will both need all the support they can get.

My son is actually being quite level headed about it all, which is a surprise for me. But obviously as my son's mum I want to know what his rights are and what can be demanded of him.

If anyone can direct me to a site that offers advise to teen dads especially their rights (remembering that he was underage at the time) it really would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention that they actually split up a couple of months ago - which doesn't help the situation.

I can't help you but welcome to BnB, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help :)

Welcome to BnB :D

Are you in the UK or US? In the UK I believe that he has the same rights as father regardless of age or when the baby was conceived (not sure there is an issue with the law until he is over 16 and has sex with an under-age girl - they tend to be quite lenient nowadays). As long as he can come to an amicable agreement with his ex about access I don't think there should be any issues.

How old is she?
Is it definitely his?
Is he going to be on the birth certificate?

I don't think anything can be demanded from him while he is education.

How is she taking it?
Are they still talking or was it a bad split up?

Hi :hi: Welcome to BnB! I can't help I'm sorry I don't have the answers for you. But I'm sure someone will come along!

I have just been informed that my son is going to be a dad:shock:

He is 16 years old now but was 15 at the time of conception.

He is due to start college next week.

What happens legally. Obviously whilst in full time education he cannot contribute to the baby. How does he stand regarding child support as they were both underage at the time.

Please do not get me wrong - these things happen and I haven't hit the roof, unfortunately her father has. Poor girl is currently staying at her friends house because her dad threw her out and the rows there are terrible at the moment. Whilst my son is starting college next week the poor girl has to continue at school for the next few months - bless her. I have only just found out so have not spoken to the girl myself. But I am not one to pass blame - they will both need all the support they can get.

My son is actually being quite level headed about it all, which is a surprise for me. But obviously as my son's mum I want to know what his rights are and what can be demanded of him.

If anyone can direct me to a site that offers advise to teen dads especially their rights (remembering that he was underage at the time) it really would be appreciated.

Had a quick google search for 'Rights for Teenage Fathers UK' and came up with this news article, which does give a little bit of insight.

I can't post the link as i'm restricted due to being a new member, however here is the gist of it.

The Child Support Agency has about 2,000 teenage fathers on its books - but the boys are not required to pay maintenance until they turn 16.

South Yorkshire police are investigating a 14-year-old Sheffield boy whose 12-year-old girlfriend is three months' pregnant. The boy could be charged with rape because a girl of this age cannot legally consent to sex.

If she gives birth and keeps the baby, the boy will not be required to pay maintenance until his 16th birthday.

There are 2,000 teenage boys on Child Support Agency's books
A Child Support Agency spokesman told the BBC: "At that stage, they sort of grow into the responsibility and we actively and vigorously pursue them for maintenance.

"If they're unemployed, the agency seeks to reduce any benefit they are getting by £5.20 a week."

Britain has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Europe. In England and Wales, about 30 in every 10,000 teenage women give birth; twice that of Germany; three times that of France and six times the Dutch rate.

'Financial hardship'

About 90,000 British teenagers get pregnant each year - one-third of them under 16 - and many of the fathers are teenagers themselves.

Judith Corlyon, a senior researcher with the National Children's Bureau, said that in 1997 there were 10,000 new fathers aged under 20.

"In addition to that, about another 13,000 other mothers under 20 don't register details of the baby's father. You could safely assume that a proportion of those is going to be young fathers.

"The limited information we have on them suggests that they are more likely to come from families that have experienced financial hardship, to have low level of educational attainment and high levels of unemployment. Beyond that, we don't know much about them."

Sex lessons blamed

The 14-year-old boy and his girlfriend live in a run-down council estate, seven miles from the home of another 12-year-old who gave birth last week in the bathroom of her council house in Rotherham.

The Sheffield 14-year-old said he hated condoms
He told the Daily Telegraph that he blamed explicit sex education lessons at school.

"It is the school's responsibility, showing us videos of men and women naked. After all, we are just children. We were told about how babies were made, but I was just interested in the sex part."

A spokesman for Sheffield Council said the sex education programmes emphasised moral considerations and the value of family life.

There is also a Guardian article by Yvonne Roberts dated 10 June 2006

The CSA laws are changing from 28 October, this also might be worth looking into.

If you google 'rights teenage fathers uk' you may find some more useful information.

Sounds like it's gonna be a long haul, hopefully will all turn out ok in the end for everyone concerned :hugs:

Welcome, and very interesting to hear a different side of the story

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->