Flu jab

Jennifurball

Mother of 1 and a bump!
Reaction score
Has anyone else had theirs?

I had mine today and I feel ill already, obviously it's sore where the needle was but my arms are aching, like when you have flu, my lower back is hurting and my head.

There isn't a risk with it is there? With it being free for pregnant ladies, I thought it was kind of important to get done.

I had mine Thursday morning at my OB's office and had flu-like body aches all night. I felt better by Friday. Although I've heard this can happen, I've never experienced this from the flu shot, so was somewhat surprised. My understanding is that there is no risk to pregnant women from the shot, and the flu in pregnancy can be dangerous. Hope you feel better soon!

I'll get mine, I always do. But who's close family is getting theirs? DH & my sis agree to get it whole heartedly but my mom thinks it's a big conspiracy theory and doesn't want to be 'forced' into something when she has a good immune system. Oh no, she couldn't possibly be a carrier with a strong immune system. And what's most irresponsible about this is that she visits my dad in a nursing care facility with lots of vulnerable seniors. I can't stand her stubbornness & lack of education.

I'll grt mine, I always do. But who's close family is getting theirs? DH & my sis agree to get it whole heartedly but my mom thinks it's a big conspiracy theory and doesn't want to be 'forced' into sonething when she has a good immune system. Oh no, she couldn't possibly be a carrier with a strong immune system. And what's most irresponsible aboyt this is that she visits my dad in a nursing care facility with lots of vulnerable seniors. I can't stand her stubbornnes & lack of education.

I'm getting mine, as will my kids and husband. I wouldn't expect it from others who just visit and don't live with us, although I'd be pleased if they offered. But I think you're right that your mum is completely irresponsible, not so much because of your newborn but because of her visits to the nursing home. She could literally kill someone! I just hope that the people in the nursing home are all able to have their shots.

That's awful, I work for the elderly, well not directly but I support staff who visit them, I would hate to think I was passing something potentially dangerous on.

I feel better today though, didn't sleep well though as my favourite side was where I got injected and it's sore lol.

It's really normal to feel a little bit off after as it stimulates an immune response, which is why it works to protect you from the flu, but anytime your immune system is working hard, you feel a bit like crap, even when you aren't sick. I get one every year and I don't usually feel too bad, but always feel a bit like a cold is coming on after and tired, but it goes away within a day or so.

That said, there is a lot going around right now with the start of the school year. My husband and I have both been sick this past week with body aches, chills, and sinus symptoms, so it could just be coincidental that you picked something just before you got it and happen to be getting sick anyway. You can't get the flu from the flu shot though. That's just a myth.

I can't take the flu shot because of a serious allergic reaction so I appreciate everyone who does get it! Thanks for the herd immunity everyone :)

Had an appt yesterday and my dr pretty much told me I was getting a flu shot that day lol.
I had never had one before but she said she strongly recommended it.
My arm muscle was sore yesterday but it's not too bad today. I woke with a sore throat but that could also be due to SO and both LOs having a cold.
I'm more nervous for the oncoming weekly progesterone butt shots :S

Had an appt yesterday and my dr pretty much told me I was getting a flu shot that day lol.
My arm muscle was sore yesterday but it's not too bad today. I woke with a sore throat but that could also be due to SO and both LOs having a cold.
Why would you start getting progesterone at this point? Usually it's taken in the first tri to support the pregnancy?

Why would you start getting progesterone at this point? Usually it's taken in the first tri to support the pregnancy?

There is another type of progesterone injection for women who have previously had a preterm birth, usually begun around 16-20 weeks, so maybe that is why. At least that is the case for me.

I always get my flue jab this time of year but last year mine must have worn off towards the end because last May I freekin got flu! We had just come back from Barcelona with our then 11 month old and 23 month old and j caught it that week we came back and let me tell you I was down! I started with a high fever at 8pm which no amount of paracetamol or ibuprofen could take down the next morning I told hubby I have been up all night with fever but he just thought I was crying wolf so he went off to work and I have to take care of 2 under 2 both mobile whiles the feeling like I was dying. I literally could walk with out throwing up I was crawling to the toilet to be sick, every breath I took was excusiating pain, and my fever was that high that I was hallucinating. Please ladies get your flue jabs!!!

Mrsb3 that's horrible! I hope I don't get sick like that as we'll have 3 kids under 2 as well. I think I'd call my mom in to help and since she's immune from any flu:haha: I'm sure she wouldn't catch it lol. The flu jab contains usually 6 flues that they feel will be more of a risk factor for the upcoming year. There are ~18 different types of flues. Sometimes they completely miss the strain that goes around and maybe this happened to you with getting the flu. It happens but hey, you were still protecting yourself from 6 of 18 so no one can fault you for trying!

I'll be getting mine. Reluctantly as I don't like it but I know the baby needs protection so I'll get it when I have the whooping cough one. I've not been ill from the flu jab but the whooping cough one made me really ill last time. I felt like I had flu so I'm not looking forward to it. I also had flu after getting the jab, not immediately after, it wasn't a reaction. But I obviously got a strain that wasn't included in the jab. Felt absolutely horrendous

There is another type of progesterone injection for women who have previously had a preterm birth, usually begun around 16-20 weeks, so maybe that is why. At least that is the case for me.

Yep, it's to help prevent another preterm birth.
I went into preterm active labor 6 weeks early with first baby and delivered her 4 weeks early.
I had my son, 2nd baby, 7 weeks early.
I'll be starting weekly progesterone shots at 16 weeks to try and avoid another early labor because my track record so far is BAD.

Chicochick ok well that makes sense! I did them in the first tri, you'll do them in 3rd tri. They aren't so bad, I usually squeeze the area jab it in, release slowly remove and rub. Rubbing the area prevents bruising and helps it not hurt later on. I wish you luck with them!

I'm concerned about getting the flu jab for a couple of reasons. My father has had them in the past and every time he is very ill for at least a week afterwards. Secondly a consultant friend of mine states it only works on 2% of people.

I've never had the flu myself, but understand my immune system is lower whilst pregnant however, that said I'm not sure I want to potentially make myself I'll from the jab if it is not an exact deferent. *need to do more research.

I will be getting flu jab.

When I was having DS I was very unsure, GP talked me into but didn't want to give me it before a holiday weekend in case of a reaction. But by the following week it was too late. Flu came close to taking my life.

I'm concerned about getting the flu jab for a couple of reasons. My father has had them in the past and every time he is very ill for at least a week afterwards. Secondly a consultant friend of mine states it only works on 2% of people.

I've never had the flu myself, but understand my immune system is lower whilst pregnant however, that said I'm not sure I want to potentially make myself I'll from the jab if it is not an exact deferent. *need to do more research.

If you feel so ill from an invirulent form of the virus can you imagine what it'd be like if you got the real thing? That's what you should be thinking about. Your consultant has misinformed you. It's incorrect to say that it only eorks on 2% of the population. If you're carrying it and don't get sick (meaning you're a host) it'll ptevent you from getting others sick. If you catch the form of flu that's in the vaccination, you simply won't get sick. It both prevents you from being a host and from you getting sick. It's really irritating to hear a health consultant giving such bogus information. Is she an anti-vaxxer by chance? What's her education? No one with a degree in health sciences should be disseminating that sort of misinformation.

agree with ^^ I also think maybe some people don't realise what flu is and can do. My husband for example thinks that it is just a cold and that when I had it I was been over dramatic when I was literally crawling on my hand and knees to get my little ones a drink or food, throwing up on the way hoping they wouldn't stand in it as I didn't have the strength to clean it up. By the time I made it to the kitchen and pulled myself up I was unsure which cup was what or what I was even doing as I was hallucinating from my ridiculous high temp that was so off the scale it was scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->