Fluctuating HCG Levels - Ectopic?

lizbiz

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm reaching out for support please! I'm almost 6 weeks pregnant, and my doctor has been super quick to order an injection of Methotrexate to terminate what she thinks "might" be ectopic due to low fluctuating hcg levels. This is without even doing an ultrasound! Is this weird? My husband and I felt very uncomfortable taking the injection without any definitive diagnosis, so I insisted on an ultrasound (which I'm doing today). I also have ZERO pain or discomfort, so I don't understand why they're in such a rush to give me this crazy drug. Here are my levels:

5/8/17 55
5/10/17 87
5/12/17 61
5/14/17 152
5/16/17 400
5/18/17 343
5/21/17 755
5/23/17 1285

Am I being unreasonable for requesting an ultrasound? I understand there is probably little hope that this is a viable pregnancy, but if it is in the uterus I'd rather miscarry naturally. Everything I've read states that diagnosis of ectopic requires a scan, or at least a symptom?

This has been an extremely difficult time for us... especially since this is my first pregnancy ever. We've been ttc for a while (I'm 36 and he's 41).

Any info you have would be much appreciated! :flower:

Hi,

This is how my ectopic pregnancy was like, I had several ultrasounds and as my levels wasn't high enough, not much could be seen, I refused the injection, as they couldn't confirm where the pregnancy was, and eventually my levels started to slowly decrease, unfortunately for me, My tube burst which ended up me loosing it. I would definitely have a ultrasound. I also had pain on my lower left side and bleeding on and off.
I'm so sorry that you are going through this :hugs:

I would definitely insist on a ultrasound, like you said unfortunately it probably isn't a viable pregnancy but I would want to make 100% sure first. I'm so sorry you are going through this it's awful :hugs:

Thanks so much for the support ladies.

I just got my ultrasound results and they found nothing in the tubes or the uterus. The tech said it's too early to see anything, so I'm not sure if I should request another ultrasound or just call it a day and take the methotrexate.

xxmyheartxx, it sounds like you went through the same thing. I'm so sorry! I'm definitely trying to avoid a rupture, but I haven't had any pain or bleeding. I'm so conflicted!

Should I take the methotrexate or request one more ultrasound? :cry:

If it was me, I'd request another ultrasound. I'd have a hard time throwing in the towel without confirmation though.

So sorry y our going through this. But i would definately request another ultrasound. Everyones body works in misterious ways and i think you may possible question the outcome in the future without receiving confirmation. wheres abouts in the world are you?

How sure are you that you are in fact 6 weeks along? Is it possible that you implanted later and that you're much earlier? if you're 4 weeks or so, you wouldn't be able to see that in a scan.

So sorry y our going through this. But i would definately request another ultrasound. Everyones body works in misterious ways and i think you may possible question the outcome in the future without receiving confirmation. wheres abouts in the world are you?

Thank you, I agree! I'm near Newport Beach, CA. You?

Unfortunately whether you are earlier then 6 weeks or not, fluctuating levels are a sign of ectopic. With HCG levels around 1000-1500 it is touch and go whether you would see anything on an ultrasound whether it was in the right place or not.
What were you latest HCG results since the reading on 23rd? If it hasn't gone up I would take the methotrexate shot, a US won't tell you any more.
You don't want to risk a rupture and internal bleeding- trust me.

I know first hand how crappy the ectopic situation is. Hugs.x

You have all been so helpful, thank you.

Today my hCG shot up from 1285 to 2675! Not sure if this is a good thing or a scary thing! I'm fairly certain I'm 6 weeks preggo because they gave me a shot to trigger ovulation within 36 hours. Although I may have implanted late.

I ended up following your advice - cancelled my methotrexate injection today and I'm getting another ultrasound tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted... xoxo!

That's great! with hcg in the 2000s, you should definitely see something in your uterus if it implanted there! I hope you'll have good news tomorrow!

p.s. this was the doctor's recommendation, not mine, which made me feel better. She scheduled the Methotrexate injection for tomorrow afternoon.

Unfortunately whether you are earlier then 6 weeks or not, fluctuating levels are a sign of ectopic. With HCG levels around 1000-1500 it is touch and go whether you would see anything on an ultrasound whether it was in the right place or not.
What were you latest HCG results since the reading on 23rd? If it hasn't gone up I would take the methotrexate shot, a US won't tell you any more.
You don't want to risk a rupture and internal bleeding- trust me.

I know first hand how crappy the ectopic situation is. Hugs.x

Hi ladies, We decided to take the methotrexate yesterday, because I got really worried and the doctor said there was no hope. It felt like the safe thing to do, but I'm still sad.

Problem is, I made the HUGE mistake of eating a big bowl of cereal that I didn't realize was fortified with folate/folic acid after the shot. I'm talking like 200% of the daily recommendation. Apparently this can interfere with the effectiveness of the methotrexate?? I'm so worried now. Did anyone eat folate after their injection and still have a successful outcome?

I'm so sorry lizbiz.

I'm afraid I don't have experience with methotrexate so I don't have any answers for you but. it might be worth a call to your doctor's office!

Sending lots of love :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"