folic acid-how much?

minnie10

Mummy to 1 , wtt#2
Reaction score
My DH and I are WTT. were not sure when we are gong to start so im looking to start taking folic acid now incase we decide to start asap.

Are you meant to take it 3months before trying and what is the dosage? is there anything else i would need to take??

https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-to-conceive/152279-folic-acid-truth.html

I found this for you

Hello! My GP advised that ideally you should start taking folic acid at least 3 months before TTC.

In the UK the recommended dosage is 400 mcg per day - but this is lower that in most other countries (you can buy separate folic acid tablets or prenatal vitamins i.e. pregnacare etc quite often have 800 mcg in them)

You can't really hurt yourself by taking more than the RDA - your body will pee out what it doesnt use.

If you fall into certain catagories you might want to take some advice as to how much folic acid you should be taking - i.e. you might need to take more if any family history of neural tube defects such as spina bifida etc, if you have issues such as chrohns disease or IBS etc.

If you want ALL the fact on folic acid take a look at the thread below - there are some amazing folic acid experts in there!

Generally though before TTC (aside from folic acid) it might be worth getting your immunity rubella check out a minimum of 3 months for - just in case you need a booster.

Other than that...good luck and enjoy!

Hello! My GP advised that ideally you should start taking folic acid at least 3 months before TTC.

In the UK the recommended dosage is 400 mcg per day - but this is lower that in most other countries (you can buy separate folic acid tablets or prenatal vitamins i.e. pregnacare etc quite often have 800 mcg in them)

You can't really hurt yourself by taking more than the RDA - your body will pee out what it doesnt use.

If you fall into certain catagories you might want to take some advice as to how much folic acid you should be taking - i.e. you might need to take more if any family history of neural tube defects such as spina bifida etc, if you have issues such as chrohns disease or IBS etc.

If you want ALL the fact on folic acid take a look at the thread below - there are some amazing folic acid experts in there!

Generally though before TTC (aside from folic acid) it might be worth getting your immunity rubella check out a minimum of 3 months for - just in case you need a booster.

You mention IBS in relation to dosage. I have IBS and am planning to TTC the end of this year/beginning of next. Should I need more than the 400mg? I guess I need to see my doc!

You mention IBS in relation to dosage. I have IBS and am planning to TTC the end of this year/beginning of next. Should I need more than the 400mg? I guess I need to see my doc!

IBS can inhibit absorption of folic acid (or so I have read) so probably would be worth bringing it up with your doctor :flower:

Inertia - GPs seem to disagree over whether an increased dose is necessary for IBS sufferers. Mine reviews a lot of research papers and says it IS necessary. Makes sense - IBS will inhibit absorption of any nutrients if your food passes through too quickly. So even if your doc doesn't suggest it, you might wish to self-prescribe a higher dose. Your doc might say you need nothing, or he might prescribe the maximum dose or somewhere in the middle!

Trust me, the last thing you want is to be folic-deficient in pregnancy :cry:

Amelie, youre doing a fab job as folic advocate in WTT :hugs:

Ooh and everyone please take care with your micrograms (mcg) and milligrams (mg). 5mg is the maximum daily dose and only available on prescription in the UK - it is 12x UK RDA (which is 400mcg).

:haha: You've all beat me too it! Don't really have much to add, but the thread they all mentioned is worth its weight in gold! :happydance:

I'm taking mine well in advance (just because it feels like I'm doing something proactive) but 3 months before I'm moving up to pregnacare since it holds all the extra goodies. :happydance: I don't think it matters all too much as long as your taking it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->