Folic Acid or pregnancy supplements ?

hayleyjhay

Mum to baby Noah
Reaction score
Hi to all excited mums to be !
I have been taking a pregancy supplement from the supermarket which contains folic acid ( 200% of my RDA ) since I first had my BFP I am now 7 weeks. Do I need to take folic acid as well as this ?
Also after the 12 week mark should I stop taking these supplements as we are advised to take folic acid only up to 12 weeks. It says it is suitable for the whole of pregnancy.
I am very confused , please help
:confused::confused::confused:

Hiya Hayleyjhay,

I've been taking pregnacare which contains 400mg of folic acid as well as other vitamins reccommended for pregnancy...

I also take folic acid (400mg) on its own but not the two together! I've had to do alternate days with the two as the pregnacare has iron in and its making me constipated (sorry) :blush:

But you can also get folic acid from foods such as cereal, brown bread and green veg - which i eat a lot of all three)

As for taking it all throughout the pregnancy i dont see why not take the supplement as its vitamins etc and its also good to take it whilst breast feeding....

If your really unsure ask your MW to clear things up for you :)

I take pregnacare but dont take folic acid along side that as it already has it in i took them with my last prregnnacy too as i found if i didnt i would feel like crap i would ask your midwife if not either just stick to what your taking or take the folic acid along side it too

I have just started taking pregnacare. I took it throughout my first pregnancy absolutely fine. I haven't been taking it regularly until the last couple days as I've not been eating properly for weeks. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm taking it every day.

i take pregnacare as folic acid on its own gives me tummy ache, i took all th way through my last pregnancy and while i was breast feeding. as long as the vitamin you are taking is for pregnancy and has 400mcg of folic acid in then you are fine.

I've been taking pregnacare and folic acid together - and have only just realised that this is what could be making me feel so poo! and making me really constipated. :cry: so i will just be taking my folic acid for a while until i am feeling better!!
x

I was taking prenatal vitamies but they made me very sick so I stopped. My DR said that I was probably intolerant to the magnesium and iron levels.

I am taking pregnacare too and it helps with me getting some energy.
Without it I would be in bed because I can hardly eat.

I also try and get extra folic acid from cereals(cornflakes,weetabix)as I can manage them.
And trying hard to eat green veg but thats still a big battle,the smell makes me heave.

I've been taking pregnacare, the Dr told me you need 400mg of folic acid per day (which pregnacare has) so as long as your supplement has that amount you don't need to take anymore. I took other supplements that made me really ill (most people get constipated with iron, I got severe runs!) but pregnacare works for me.
I will be taking it all the way through pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Im just taking folic acid because im having to take a higher amount due to my epilepsy tablets so ive just been taking the folic acid

Im just taking the supplement as that has all the folic acid i need.

I have taken Pregnancare plus (with omega 3) since BFP and will continue until after breastfeeding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->