Folic Acid Side Effects TMI

PatriNina

Reaction score
Frustrated :growlmad:

I'm on CD 18, and I've been taking Folic acid for about 3 or 4 days. I didn't get them prescribed by a doctor, but it's just a vitamin that most of the woman that are TTC are taking. I take a 5mg dose every day.

Now here is the fun part :dohh:

I'm in the TWW (not really sure if I am since OPK's haven't confirmed a surge, and I don't temp). I have 28 day cycles so I just assume I'm 4dpo.

Aside from all the symptom spotting I'm doing, I feel an increased need to go #2 (TMI) very often. I mean 4/5 times a day, up from a regular of max 2 times a day. I read that this could be a side effect of too much folic acid, but I've been taking it for about 4 days :growlmad:

Along with a constant dull cramp in my lower abdomen (that I'm starting to assume is caused by so much BD this month), these are the only 2 symptoms I'm having :shrug:

Anyone having similar side effects from folic acid? should I continue taking it.

PS: My diet hasn't changed at all, and I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, so a stomach bug is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks for reading :hugs:

5mg is a lot, unless you are folic deficient. Most prenatal vitamins have 800 MCG. (micrograms) which is equally to .8 mg. my dr suggested taking a prenatal while ttc, not just the folic acid.

The smallest dose I could find at the pharmacy is 5mg/pill. And the prospect says that the recommended dose is 1pill/day.

What the #$*^? I'm lost right now...

Thanks for your reply... :(

I also take folic acid, have been taking it for over a year now. When I first start my doctor told me to take anywhere from 3 - 5mg a day. I started out only taking 1mg a day. I was finding it wasnt doing squat for me so I up'd it to 2mg.. again, nothing.

So January I started taking 5mg a day. Since then I have noticed a major difference. My face/skin has cleared up (acne) and I have waaaaaay more EWCM! Like Inever had any before and now I have all kinds. Not sure if this is just a coincidence or if it helped but I am happy!

Shedevil18 I'm glad it had positive effects on you :)

I thought it was just a vitamin that prevented some malformations in the early stages of pregnancy. If it has good side effects too I'd be very happy!

I'm going to keep taking this dose for a month and see if I experience changes.

I've read that the excess just flushes out anyway.

Thanks for the replies! <3

Shedevil18 I'm glad it had positive effects on you :)

I thought it was just a vitamin that prevented some malformations in the early stages of pregnancy. If it has good side effects too I'd be very happy!

I'm going to keep taking this dose for a month and see if I experience changes.

I've read that the excess just flushes out anyway.

Thanks for the replies! <3

Right it's water soluble, so anything extra flushes out without harmful side effects... If you are Ttc why not just take a prenatal? My dr told me to take prenatals while Ttc, so that when you do conceive you have a head start on it..

Honestly I'm so scared that I'll never conceive that even taking the folic acid makes me sad. I know it sounds dark, but taking prenatals and never having a baby would just be a bad reminder :(

We'll see how it goes :) Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->