Folic acid- the truth about.

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
This thread has been pinched from TTC and was wrote by Emmea12uk.

We get some many people asking about it I thought i would pinch it.

Here it goes. Emmas words are wrote in red.

You have a very simple choice, but there simply isnt enough information out there to make you aware of it. Most woman wont eat blue cheese when pregnant, wont eat certain fish...drink, smoke because there is a risk to an unborn child... You can't move without the UK government ramming these warnings at you. BUT there is a bigger risk that can nearly always be prevented by a little vitimin.

The sciencey bit
Folic Acid is necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells. It is especially important during periods of rapid cell division and growth such as pregnancy.

Taking folic acid prior to pregnancy helps protect against a number of congenital malformations including neural tube defects (NTDs). NTDs result in malformations of the spine (spina bifida), skull, and brain (anencephaly). The risk of NTD is significantly reduced (95%) when folic acid is taken in addition to a healthy diet prior to and during the first month of pregnancy.

The protective effect of folic acid during pregnancy goes beyond NTDs. Taking folic acid has been shown to reduce the risk of congenital heart defects, cleft palate, limb defects, and urinary tract anomalies. Taking 5mg micrograms of folic acid daily (this is over ten times the dose in prenatal vitimins!!).

Recent research has shown that it is also very important for men who are planning on fathering children, reducing chromosomal defects in their sperm.

What is a NTD?
During the first month of pregnancy the neural tube (the nerves inside the spine) form, and then the spine forms around it like a zipn from head to toe. Spina bifida is when the spine traps some of these nerves (a bit like when your zip gets stuck). The damage caused depends on the level of the trapped nerves. It can be anything from vital organs, to limbs to organ function. The majority of cases involving major organs do not make it to birth.

Those that do not miscarry tend to have varying levels of paralysis in the lower body and loss of control of bowels and bladder. There is a list as long as my arm of associated conditions which tend to go hand in hand, but most notably is hydrocephalus involving the inability to drain fluid from the brain which can never be cured, but is treatable - there will always be a major health risk and involve numerous brain surgeries throughout the person's life.

There is no cure and only luck dictates how your child will be effected.

My child is a lucky one. He may walk with the help of calipers, may face periods of wheelchair use in his life. He will never be able to urinate himself without major surgery which hasnt been invented yet. He will never be able to have a natural bowel movement and may never experience sensation in penis. Everytime he raises a temperature or gets a headache, he may only have 4 hours to live if he doesnt get brain surgery. And every surgery carries risk of infection or death.

Other children will never move any part of their bodies lower than their bra lines, have a bend in their spine that can be up to 90 degrees. Have brain surgery over and over and over and over in their first years of life and repeatedly for the duration of life. The list is endless....

A staggering 95% of all cases of Spina Bifida would not have happened if the mother has taken 5mg of folic acid prior and during the first month of pregnancy... This can only be obtained from your doctor. The usual prenatal vitimin dose is only enough if you have a very good diet and do not have a genetic condition which prevents you from absorbing it (1 in 10 woman!!!)

Is it Worth it??? It is just a little pill with no known side effects

Good luck everyone!

No probs hun. If more babys can be spared from NTD by people being better informed, then the more threads the better. I might ask if it can be made into a sticky.

Me and Emma asked quite a few times for Emma's thread to be made into a sticky, but nothing ever came of it. :)

Iv just PM'd a mod to ask.

It would be silly not to as so many people ask every week.

Just to make sure, so for the three months before you conceive, are the shop bought folic acid vitamins adequate?

And thank you for posting this thread. xx

I've read that you only need to take a higher dose if you fall into one of the following categories:

* you have had a previously affected pregnancy
* you or your partner have a spinal cord defect
* you are taking medication for epilepsy
* you have coeliac disease, diabetes, sickle cell anaemia, or thalassaemia.

Thanks for posting this, I did not realise that normal prenatal vitamins did not contain as much folic acid as we should be taking preconception and during the first month. Should we all be advised to up our dosage then. I am hoping to TTC in a few months time and I am taking Pregnacare. Should I take an extra folic acid supplement?

I would go ask your GP for a perscription for a higher dose.

I've read that you only need to take a higher dose if you fall into one of the following categories:

* you have had a previously affected pregnancy
* you or your partner have a spinal cord defect
* you are taking medication for epilepsy
* you have coeliac disease, diabetes, sickle cell anaemia, or thalassaemia.

Also if you have digestive problems ie. chron's disease or IBS it would be worth speaking to your GP as you might have issues with absorbing the folic acid :flower:

I wonder if i should ask for a higher does, considering the gastric bypass i dont absorb half of what i eat?

Would i be eligible for it? I dunno? x

I wonder if i should ask for a higher does, considering the gastric bypass i dont absorb half of what i eat?

Would i be eligible for it? I dunno? x

I think it would definitely be a good idea to bring that up with your doctor x

Hi Loz!

Sorry, was that for me? I am probably being dumb:dohh:.

If you don't have any of the issues mentioned before, like Crohn's disease etc do you still have to take a higher dosage or is Pregnacare enough?

Hi Loz!

Sorry, was that for me? I am probably being dumb:dohh:.

If you don't have any of the issues mentioned before, like Crohn's disease etc do you still have to take a higher dosage or is Pregnacare enough?

I would still ask for a higher dose because 1 in 10 woman can not absorbe it propperly. These women do not have one of the factors that make you high risk.

I had to have the higher prescribed dose. My GP told me to buy folic acid at the chemist, but when i was seen by by diabetic nurse she said i needed the higher dose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->