Folic acid- the truth about.

I have been given tablets that combine b12 and folic acid. The reason for this is a deficiency of b12, but the doctor said it would be a good idea for when I TTC in the future. The tablets are very small and I got them on prescription. They are called foli-12

Does it matter if you take a higher dose before your pregnant?

Yes, it does. The crucial part of the babies development happens before 12DPO.

So is it advisable to start taking it AS you ttc or BEFORE?

Its best to take is at least 3 months before you TTC

Its also a good idea for any woman of child bearing age to be taking folic acid! Unplanned pregnancys can happen and if they do its always good to know you've taken your folic acid :D so ideally every woman in wtt or on the site in general should be taking folic acid!

Ill definately be going out to get mine over the next couple of days :)

Just FYI my best friend has spina bifida and his mother did not have a single risk factor so don't think you shouldn't take precautions if you don't fall into those catagories!
He is paralyzed from the waist down, has a shunt (to remove fluid from his brain), is incontinent, has spinal deformities and various other problems. Having said that he is a happy guy that makes the most out of life!
Here we are on my wedding day (he kiinda blinked in the pic though):
n504315976_1251981_3763.jpg

Can you buy the higher dose over the counter?

I dont think you can, i think you need to get it on perscription

hiya i was just wondering what does should i be on if i have previously had a miscarriage (4yrs ago) im waiting to try to conceive at the minute. thanx

My doc gives out the 5mg dose no matter what. I don't think you can get that without a script.

xx

OMG! Thank you for posting this.

My husband had Hydrochepalus (sp?) as a baby and altho it is mostly not genetic it *can* be so all of this is a big worry for me.

Therefore since October I've been taking prenatal vitamins. I'll have to check how much folic acid is in them because I thought it was enough but this thread has be concerned! Its good to have all the facts tho so I can't thank you enough for sharing.

I do sometimes miss the vitamins for a day or so so I know I have to get much better about that.

- Dinah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->