Folic acid- the truth about.

Thank u for posting this but im worried now...
im having the impant out this friday and havn't took anything yet, i thought i only needed to take folic acid when u are ttc an wen ur pregnant,
i had a MC in 2007 an now im scared,
will i b ok to start an take the 5mg of folic acid on friday, an also can my husband also take 5mg of folic acid??

thanks in advance
Lianne xxx

TO be honest when I was pregnant with my spn it was unplanned and I was not taking folic acid or any other vitamin before the conception. I only started taking materna when I found out I was pregnant at 6weeks. My son came out perfectly normal. Now that I am TTC I wil definately take the necessary precautions and take the folic acid daily along with a multi vitamin.

I wish my doc had given me 5mg tablets. I'm taking 3mg plus the 800mcg in the pre-natal vitamins. I asked for this because I'm on a mood stabilizer that's also used for epilepsy. Thankfully, my medication is low risk, the most common risk is only a cleft palate. Hopefully the dosage I'm on will keep that away!

hi, my dr wouldnt prescribe me the 5mg folic acid because im not at risk, so not every1 is goin to get it

Firstly i want to say what a great thread! I have spina biffida, i'm quite lucky as at the minute the only problems i have are weakness in one leg, back pain and constant sciatica. Since i had my daughter my problems have been getting worse, pregnancy was a real strain on my spine and pelvis and i will likely need more operations in the future. Even though my problems are nothing compared to others with NTD's i would do anything to ensure my babies are protected from it.

Secondly i just want to point out to Lianne1986 that a lot of my friends asked for the higher dose due to my nagging and quite a few were told they couldn't have it because they are not 'at risk'. Each of them insisted and got it. Some GPs don't want to do anything to cost the NHS more money but they actually can't refuse to give you the higher dose if you insist (according to my consultant). I'd def go back sweetie, as far as i am concerned everyone is at risk - my mother had none of the deciding criteria but i ended up affected. Good luck and be firm!xxxxx

thank armywife, im going to go bk to my regular gp and ask her...

i think tht if im willing to take 5mg then y shudnt i have it, and y isnt it sold over the counter?

Lianne x

Exactly, i think everyone should at least be made aware of the fact that it is available from gp. Good luck!xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->