Folic acid

londonangel

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Just wondering, did any of the rest of you only start taking folic acid when you found out you were pregnant? I started off taking folic acid when we first started ttc but after a few months with nothing to show for it I gave up, or just took the occasional tablet. Then I did a pregnancy test in early May and it was negative so I stopped taking it altogether (but had only taken a few tablets in the previous few weeks anyway).

To cut a long story short, two weeks after the negative test I had a positive test - I started taking the folic acid then but I'm worried I still left it a bit late esp as don't know if I was four or five weeks pregnant as cannot date by LMP due to really long cycles.

Anyone else?

As long as you started taking it again once you got your bfp you'll be fine.
I only found out at around 6-7 weeks and started taking straight away.
With my son I didnt find out until I was 10 weeks and took it until week 13 and he's now a healthy nearly 11yo
Xx

I started taking as soon as I found out with all of mine and they are healthy lil munchkins now xx

Is this a US/UK thing? My doctor recommends taking folic acid and prenatal vitamin while TTC, but once you are pregnant the prenatal vitamin is sufficient and the added folic acid is useless. It is only a preventative during conception.

Really, most flours and cereals are heavily fortified with folic acid nowadays too. So, really, you were probably getting enough. I mean, continue taking your vitamins and stuff... but don't stress yourself too much.

Just think about all the women in 3rd world countries that deliver healthy babies & don't even have a full nutritious diet! As long as you are fairly healthy- I'm sure you'll be fine!

Babymamagain I'm in the UK - we are advised to take folic acid, not prenatal vitamins specifically. With baby number 1 I just took folic acid (no prenatal vitamin). This time round I'm taking prenatal vitamin which contains folic acid (so no extra folic acid on top). Hope this solves the conundrum!

I wasn't taking anything at all - no prenatal vitamin, nothing! - until I found out I was pregnant. Hope all will be okay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->