Folic acid??

MissR

R+R+J+Dot
Reaction score
I have yet to inform my doctors of my pregnancy as I am only around 4 weeks so will wait a couple of weeks first. I'm my last pregnancy I was given folic acid on prescription for my first trimester.

As I am not yet going to the doctors I went and bought my own folic acid. Just a few questions really.

Can it be taken from this early? Is it safe? Says on the packet to speak to doctor before taking it if your pregnant.

I bought tescos own brand as that is the only one they had. It was 70p for 60 so am worrying they won't be as good. Should I go out and get the pregnacare tablets instead? X

It can absolutely be taken that early. I started taking it while TTC. I'm in the US so I can't say about the brand, but generally as long as it has enough folic acid in it you're good. Hopefully someone else can chime in about the brand.

Any amount or type of folic acid you take is going to be beneficial. I'd go ahead and take what you have because the neural tube develops very early on. You might want to get on a full prenatal vitamin as well.

It's never too early to take vitamins. Folic acid is just a B-vitamin. These are things your body needs on a regular basis anyway. Even non-pregnant women, and men take folic acid. Many who are trying to conceive start taking these for months before they become pregnant. It's water soluble so you don't have to worry about taking too much. Your body absorbs what it needs and flushes the rest out through your urine. That's why, when taking large amounts of vitamins, or even energy drinks which are usually loaded with B vitamins, can cause you to have that bright "toxic-lemonade" looking yellow urine.

Most, if not all, supplements have pregnancy warnings on them, even when recommended for pregnancy.

Yes you should start taking folic acid immediately. I started taking it as soon as we started TTC 18 months ago. Pregnancare tablets may have a few additional vitamins in but if you eat a healthy and balanced diet then I'd say tesco's own brand will be fine.

Start taking it today, the earlier the better with it, same stuff as your Dr well give you.

I'm taking the same ones as only ones I can keep down. It's the right dose for pregnancy so don't worry. I spent a fortune on pregnacare in my first pregnancy but couldn't take them so didn't both this time x

i take 800 mcg of folic acid ever since i found out i was pregnant at 8 dpo. i just take two flinstones or one flinstone with one prenatal gummy. before i was just taking 1 children's vitamin a day but doctor told me to take 2 of them a day at my first prenatal appointment i had at 4 weeks and 6 days.

Most docs recommend taking folic at least 3 months before you conceive. You can get some from local pharmacy, WalMart, it comes in most prenatals and separately

Yes take it. Not too early and won't do any harm - it's even advised
to take it when ttc so you have a better reserve so not too early.

I'd take that for now but look to switch to a vitamin that contains folic acid and vit d.x

Like babifever said- folic acid should be started 3 months before trying to conceive.

Thanks everyone. I started taking it 3 dates ago bit just wanted to make sure it was safe! I will stick with this brand I think until the doc gives me the prescription ones :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->