foods not allowed

Sweetie

DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!
Reaction score
for under a year?

So far I've been told honey, egg whites and whole milk or any actual milk

Have you run across anything that has these ingredients in them that are baby foods. I found baby food (6m) today that has cream in it, wouldn't that not be ok? and I saw cookies for 9m+ that had egg. Do you watch for things like this? Am I being a bit paranoid? What do you do?

In the UK we are allowed to give cooked eggs (cooked whites and yolk) and also whole milk under a year. In other countries they have different recommendations but I think at the end of the day it's up to the parent. Honey is still a no-no here, it's got some nasty bacteria that a babies gut can't deal with or something I think (I could be totally wrong)

We give whole milk under a year here too... not sure about the eggs though?

hmm I'm not sure, I haven't given Hannah any of those things yet. The pediatrician didn't tell me any foods to avoid when we went in Monday :shrug:

Babies can have milk, yogurt, cheese, cream, cheese sauce etc under 1 year over here....they're just not allowed normal cows milk as their milk drink under the age of 12months:baby:

Nuts... good catch thanks

Vickie the only one I know of for absolute certainty is honey because it can have botulisum (spelling?) and they can't fight it off

Interested to hear about whole milk on the other side of the country though... Think I will ask around at group this am and see what else I get

I've heard of nuts/peanut butter and have avoided those. I haven't given whole milk or eggs yet as those can cause allergies (from what I've read anyways). And no honey either, not hard since we don't keep it in the house :lol: She has had strawberries which apparently a lot of people have allergies to and I'll probably be introducing tomatoes soon

I'm so paranoid I think I'm crazy. I'm trying to stay away from the "allergy" foods till a year but it's hard when I start noticing the ingredients in foods I would consider giving her now I read too many labels

I would consider myself quite paranoid about salt!

I have been told to avoid: salt, sugar, honey, and whole nuts (because of choking risk, peanut butter is ok.)

Also to avoid tea and coffee. !!!!!

And also to avoid goat's and sheep's milk. However if you read on the Bottle/ breast feeding forum many people will recommend goat's milk for being the most similar to breast milk.

The only ones I think you have to avoid until one year are honey; I know to avoid things like peanuts, beans, etc because of the chocking risk.

There are many things that you have to avoid until 6months though: eggs, any milk/peanut products, etc. At 6mo, you can start mixing cereal/cooking their food with cow's milk, but it's not allowed as a drink until you start weaning them (usually between 11 and 11.5mo; because it's no formula at 12mo and most babies will have to be weaned off formula)

I would consider myself quite paranoid about salt!

I have been told to avoid: salt, sugar, honey, and whole nuts (because of choking risk, peanut butter is ok.)

Also to avoid tea and coffee. !!!!!

And also to avoid goat's and sheep's milk. However if you read on the Bottle/ breast feeding forum many people will recommend goat's milk for being the most similar to breast milk.

Good info with the sheeps milk and thanks for the reminder on salt

At 6mo, you can start mixing cereal/cooking their food with cow's milk, but it's not allowed as a drink until you start weaning them (usually between 11 and 11.5mo; because it's no formula at 12mo and most babies will have to be weaned off formula)

Maybe the drink part is what I wasn't catching with the nurse cuz I know I can start on yougurt at 9 months but was trying to figure out why no milk as they are both dairy

I think it's no milk as a drink just because they don't want milk to overtake the formula

I think it's no milk as a drink just because they don't want milk to overtake the formula

This makes sense the heath nurse will be at group this week so I should ask about this I forgot to ask yesterday about milk in foods:dohh:

Heres what Ive been told

after 6 months you can give ..full fat milk in meals ex:cereal
Eggs must be cooked very well especially the yolk
No honey (yet his cereal has some in it ? its made for babies so I wont worry )
NO nuts whats so ever ..can cause allergies very young

Max has had honey in his cereal , he drinks full fat milk since 6 months and has had eggs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->