For all you old party girls.....

Bettydraper

Reaction score
I hope I’m not tempting fate by doing this but I just wanted to share with you my success story as similar stories have really helped me. I’m 39 and have been ttc for about 10 months. I’ve had a whole string of chemical pregnancies since then and I seem to be one of those people that can get pregnant but can’t make it stick. I’ve been to the fertility clinic and heard all the usual depressing talk on old eggs, low reserve, cysts, fibroids…..BUT never felt like giving up, in part due to hearing good news on here from people trying for a lot longer than me.

I’ve always considered myself a healthy person, mainly because I’m naturally slim and always on the move, but I come from the generation, probably like many of you ladies over 35 where I’ve worked and played hard since my teenage years. I have a hectic job and a very social social-life and most activities revolve around a nice meal and plenty of wine. I always read with interest the posts about consuming alcohol whilst TTC as I am pretty sure the evidence is there that drinking during the TWW doesn’t harm the baby per se. So I’ve been a ‘drink (moderately) until its pink’ kind of girl. However I don’t think I really had thought about my lifestyle in terms of my poor old eggs and its effect on chances of having a viable pregnancy. When the ovarian reserve test came back at 12 the doctor said that most likely it was their reduced quality that was causing the chemical pregnancies and that I would be put on the list for IVF (even though I have lower chances of success).

After much reading on the internet, I decided to cut out drinking (and caffeine) altogether – a Swedish study showed that even moderate drinking had an adverse impact on egg quality, and consequently successful implantation. The fact that they said heavy drinking was more than 8 drinks a week shocked me, OH and I were prone to ordering that second bottle of wine at dinner. Then I read about the suggested benefits CQ10 on the life-cycle of the eggs before you even ovulate and decided to give it a go, apparently it takes 90 days for the teeny-ting eggs to become real eggs and they have to go through a number of chemical changes where they need energy. And also apparently, older ladies are lacking in this energy (can you tell I’m not a scientist). I took 400mg a day for the last 2 months and boom, this is the first time I have had a BFP stick around long enough to get good numbers on the HCG blood test. Who knows, maybe it was a coincidence but adopting a truly healthy lifestyle has paid dividends so far – and I also feel great (but yes, a bit boring). If this bean doesn’t stick (please stick, please stick), I think I’m giving myself a much better chance next time and during the IVF.

Anyways, I’m sure there are some ladies who don’t drink who simply cannot relate to this, so this is for you old ravers out there!

Good luck everyone xx

That's such a welcome story to hear Betty!! Congrats to you and I hope you have a healthy 9 mths!!!!

I've just started coq10 this cycle so am hoping it does the trick too who knows! I've not been the biggest drinker but do have a glass or two a week but am cutting it out completely too I think!

I don't drink at all. I have probably had about 5 alcoholic drinks in my adult life. And I am on ttc cycle #27.

I think you just got lucky.
Congrats on the pregnancy.

I don't drink at all. I have probably had about 5 alcoholic drinks in my adult life. And I am on ttc cycle #27.

I think you just got lucky.
Congrats on the pregnancy.

Thanks! :flower: but that's why I addressed it to those who do drink, I really think a change in diet and lifestyle helped me.

That's such a welcome story to hear Betty!! Congrats to you and I hope you have a healthy 9 mths!!!!

I've just started coq10 this cycle so am hoping it does the trick too who knows! I've not been the biggest drinker but do have a glass or two a week but am cutting it out completely too I think!

Good luck pattabs! I've read such good things about coq10, it's worth a shot xx

Thanks Betty for the timely reminder to stay healthy while TTC. I am a (slightly) reformed party girl, and if I don't keep an eye on myself the units creep back up. Hearing that it made a difference for you helps remind me that abstinence could be the thing to make the difference.....

I hope your pregnancy goes well and you've got a sticky bean :D

Thanks for your post, Betty. It's a good reminder for me...I love a good bottle of wine and lately my way of commiserating every BFN is usually just that, along with lots of cheese. Your story encouraged me to be a bit more healthy. Wishing you all the best with your little bean xx

Thanks Betty for the reminder and positive story/wishes.

I believe that as we age, we loose the ability to naturally make antioxidents & synthesis other vitamins from our food. Not only did I get a diagnosis that I was extremely deficient in Vit D (I was getting hives and dermatographism or "skin writing") but I'm low in testosterone and DHEAS. This diagnosis came when I was taking 1000mg/day vit D and eating healthy, healthy weight & ran 5 km every few days. Now that I'm on LOTS of Vit D (2000-3000mg/day+20,000/every 2 weeks) and other antioxidents which help fertility & stave off cancer I feel I'm doing all I can to stay healthy. CoQ10 and Vit E & at least 1000mg of vit C/day help repair damage to our bodies and rejuvenate old cells. At 36, after all this stuff happening infertility, hives, arthritis (stage 4 knee replacement kind) I FEEL OLD!

I think above and beyond everything else is pretty basic, trying to exercise & have healthy diets...not too much sugar, liquor & don't pop pills if you don't need to. I'm always totally shocked to hear I have yet another girlfriend who pops advil, tylenol or aspirin regularly for "headaches". By regular, we're talking several times/day! We have a lifetime limit of how many pills we can pop, you want liver or pancrease cancer...keep popping! You want colon cancer? Don't eat veggies. It's simple.

Thanks Betty for the reminder and positive story/wishes.

I believe that as we age, we loose the ability to naturally make antioxidents & synthesis other vitamins from our food. Not only did I get a diagnosis that I was extremely deficient in Vit D (I was getting hives and dermatographism or "skin writing") but I'm low in testosterone and DHEAS. This diagnosis came when I was taking 1000mg/day vit D and eating healthy, healthy weight & ran 5 km every few days. Now that I'm on LOTS of Vit D (2000-3000mg/day+20,000/every 2 weeks) and other antioxidents which help fertility & stave off cancer I feel I'm doing all I can to stay healthy. CoQ10 and Vit E & at least 1000mg of vit C/day help repair damage to our bodies and rejuvenate old cells. At 36, after all this stuff happening infertility, hives, arthritis (stage 4 knee replacement kind) I FEEL OLD!

I think above and beyond everything else is pretty basic, trying to exercise & have healthy diets...not too much sugar, liquor & don't pop pills if you don't need to. I'm always totally shocked to hear I have yet another girlfriend who pops advil, tylenol or aspirin regularly for "headaches". By regular, we're talking several times/day! We have a lifetime limit of how many pills we can pop, you want liver or pancrease cancer...keep popping! You want colon cancer? Don't eat veggies. It's simple.

Ha! I felt like I was rattling sometimes with CQ10, Maca, Vit C, multi vits, folic acid, baby asprin...... but I totally agree, as we get older our bodies need all the help they can get. I don't think all this cures underlying fertility issues though, just gives us the boost our 'mature' eggs need. And 36 is YOUNG! all the best to you :thumbup: x

I just started CoQ10 this week, I need all the help I can get. As far as drinking....after my miscarriage I drank scotch like it was water for about a week (yes, I know....not smart)

What is CQ10? Can you get it from the drugstore?

It short for co-enzyme 10, you should find it in your local pharmacy or health food store with all the other supplements. Its usually in the energy section x

Well, this helps me a little. I have recently given up so much hope on ttc esp after one failed ivf, that I have actually started drinking again. I did 7 months of no drinking and my fiance has never stopped (which makes it much harder). I was on such a good path, exercising and supplements and very little dairy. I need to start again. The key is to keep believing. But my faith is growing weary. Just found out about another friend of mine who used to drink and smoke regularly is now pregnant. I only drank again for about 2 weeks, but I hope it hasn't hurt my chances (and had cigs with the drinks, as they seem to go pretty well together). Another reason I did this is cuz I can't try for at least one month due to a lap procedure so I figured, "screw it". I know that's no excuse. This is my place to confess. :blush:

Well, this helps me a little. I have recently given up so much hope on ttc esp after one failed ivf, that I have actually started drinking again. I did 7 months of no drinking and my fiance has never stopped (which makes it much harder). I was on such a good path, exercising and supplements and very little dairy. I need to start again. The key is to keep believing. But my faith is growing weary. Just found out about another friend of mine who used to drink and smoke regularly is now pregnant. I only drank again for about 2 weeks, but I hope it hasn't hurt my chances (and had cigs with the drinks, as they seem to go pretty well together). Another reason I did this is cuz I can't try for at least one month due to a lap procedure so I figured, "screw it". I know that's no excuse. This is my place to confess. :blush:

well if its confession time, I had some spotting at 14dpo and assumed I was having another chemical, obviously the first thing I did was have a massive glass of red :blush: Luckily the healthier shinier me stopped at one!

well if its confession time, I had some spotting at 14dpo and assumed I was having another chemical, obviously the first thing I did was have a massive glass of red :blush: Luckily the healthier shinier me stopped at one!

I guess it was the witch.. Well, good for you for stopping!

https://naturalbiology.stores.yahoo.net/coq10400mg.html
This is the cheapest place I could find for the ubiquinol type of CoQ10 (the stuff that absorbs better than the ubiquinone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->