For mothers who has a parent that smokes...what do you do if they want to hold baby?

It's kind of sad that the majority of people don't even realize that third hand smoke is a HUGE deal. It's the residue that lingers from all the smoke and chemicals, making it by far the worst of smoking. It sticks to everything: hair, furniture, skin, clothing, in the walls, you name it!

I'm glad you're sticking your ground :) I'm trying to get my family to quit as well and told them the same thing! You smoke = no holding baby!

I don't have parents that smoke but I suggest you buy a cheap dressing gown and tell him to put that on to cover his clothes before he holds the baby. Also, make him wash his hands and make him read some literature about SIDS prevention.

I can sort of understand why the older generation think we're over the top, most of them smoked and drank while pregnant and ate whatever they liked. But in this day and age, we know a lot more and that's a good thing.

A piece of valuable advice that someone gave me was "You're the mum so you are in charge, nobody else".

My in laws smoke..they will not be touching baby... I cant stad tbe smell myself! If fam wants to hold baby they better shower to get the smell and germs off...

I'm going to have this problem too. Hublet and MIL smoke and whilst Hublet is very good about washing hands and brushing his teeth as he knows I hate the smell, I can see problems ahead if I ask them to change their clothes. Both him and MIL smoke (Hublet isn't too bad as he will only have a couple a day) but I know they both think I'm overreacting when I tell them things like this. I mean, I got told I was being silly for wanting a new mattress for the Moses basket as although it was second hand and fairly new and it was in great condition and clean but I want a new mattress. I tried explaining about "New baby, New Mattress" but kept getting told I was daft.

So I know this is going to turn into yet another episode of me being overly sensitive! xx

My OH smokes and even though midwifes have given him the facts and info and dangers on 3rd hand smoking, he says he will 'quit in his own time'! I want him to quit now so he can get used to not smoking, and not be stressy when the baby arrives because hes quit on the day the baby is born!

Also, I would have appreciated the moral support from him as I quit smoking the day I got my BFP from smoking 15 a day for 7 years, and I DO NOT want to start up again a year down the line, but no, he continues ans it drives me mad! :growlmad:

Well done for standing your ground and I'll certainly be standing mine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->