For those having baby showers-etiquette.question

Mjane84

Reaction score
This is my first child, and first baby shower, so maybe I am just out of the loop with etiquette. My Mother and Sister-in-Law are very graciously throwing me one. I am so appreciative, and am trying to pay for little things myself (I hate having people shell out a lot of money on me).

Anyway, SIL very kindly is paying for the catering, and doing a really nice spread. I let her know several times that she didn't have to, or at least could have chosen cheaper food options. She keeps insisting that it is her gift to me (us) and not to worry.

I am looking at having about 40 people, which shocked me. I thought I'd get a lot more "no" RSVPs.

That said...three separate people have RSVP'd with that they are bringing a (uninvited) guest! I know my SIL doesn't care, and we have the room, but I have never in my life just assumed that I could bring someone else to something that I was invited to, especially where it is being catered or there is a per person charge. One person actually wrote "plus 1" on her RSVP.

Anyway, maybe it's just me. I just wanted other people's opinions on if this is the norm nowadays. Like I said, SIL doesn't mind and has a "the more the merrier" attitude", so I won't say anything. It just kind of irked me.

When my baby shower was being planned and people were RSVPing to me they would mention bringing someone with them....I told them that it was up to my cousin who was planning it and paying for all of it.

I personally think that just assuming you can bring someone it kinda rude, but if they ask your SIL before hand and she doesn't have an issue with it, then I don't see a problem with it.

Seems a bit odd to me.. Are they possibly just bringing their kid/baby if they couldn't find a sitter?

Seems a bit odd to me.. Are they possibly just bringing their kid/baby if they couldn't find a sitter?

No, one lady said she is bringing her Mom (I met her one time a couple of years ago) and the other two are bringing friends. At least I know the friends that they are bringing, but we aren't close at all. It is more like the invited guest is a mutual friend of ours.

Yeah, it isn't a huge deal, I was just wondering if anyone else experienced similar.

I think it's rude to assume it'd be okay and just put it in the RSVP. The people who want to bring someone should have called the person planning to ask if it was okay or not, in my opinion. Anything I've ever been invited to where a guest was welcome has included that on the invitation.

WHAT?! That is unbelievable! I seriously cannot believe someone would do that for a baby shower! I'd be super pissed!

It is kind of rude in my opinion, those addressed on the invitation are the only ones that are invited. As long as she doesn't mind though I wouldn't stress about it.

For instance if one person was invited I'd put just their name, if it is co-ed (mine is) I'd put both names, and for kids, I put something like "The Scott Family". Most people have asked me though even putting that just to double check!

Thats disgusting behaviour. They have no right to invite themselves a friend/guest along.

Unbelievably rude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->