For those of you who really wanted to breastfeed. Would you help me help others?

Happy to help!

1. What preparation had you made for breastfeeding before babies arrival?

I was dead set on breastfeeding. I bought an expensive breast pump (medela pump in style), nursing bras, nipple cream, a boppy & my breast friend pillows, the works. I even took a breastfeeding class at the hospital where I delivered.

2. What kind of birth did you have. (please mention any interventions if there were any.)

Relatively complicated. Went to the hospital for induction 10 days past my due date. My water broke prior to induction. Baby began coming out arm and hand first. Prior to any intervention, an OBGYN at the hospital attempted to reposition the baby (ouch!) unsuccessfully. Doctors went back and forth as to whether I should have a c-section. I then had an epidural and he was able to get further in and get the baby into position. Then I had pitocin to speed up the labor so that baby remained in position. Active labor went quickly, but I had immense difficulty pushing because my epidural was so strong. I ended up having a vaccum delivery in the ER. 4th degree episiotomy.

3. Did you get to have skin to skin with your baby right after birth?

I did not. They rushed baby to be examined afterward due to a difficult delivery, although I had requested skin to skin immediately it was not possible. They did bring her back for skin to skin shortly after she was checked out. I can't remember how long it was... maybe 30 minutes to one hour? It's a blur.

4. How long after the birth (if at all) did baby breastfeed?

Aproximately 2 weeks, mostly with a nipple shield.

5. What issues did you encounter?

Had latching issues from the very beginning. I met with lactation consultants as often as I could when in the hospital, but to be honest they were not helpful. The first three nights at home my baby never slept. She was constantly screaming. I phoned our pediatrician's emergency hotline and was advised to suppliment with one ounce of formula. I initially refused, but they continued calling me over the next few days, insisting I top up with formula, so I did. That weekend, I hadn't slept in days and my family came to help. I slept for 5 hours and the baby was formula fed at that time. I think the initial introduction of the bottle was detrimental. At her first check-up, we found that the baby had lost 13% of her body weight and was jaundiced. I was also suffering from postpartum anxiety at the time and was terrified of her losing weight, so we began combo feeding.

6. What support was there for you?

I returned to the hospital to see the lactation consultants, but didn't receive helpful advice. At my 2 week postpartum midwife checkup, they advised that I see a lactation consultant an hour away. At that point, I was suffering from severe anxiety and depression and could barely function, so it wasn't an option for me.

7. Do you feel your Health Care Provider did enough to help you?

Yes, I feel they tried very much to help me. I think depression, anxiety, unrealistic expectations about breastfeeding and my baby's weight loss all contributed to my being usuccessful directly feeding at the breast.

8. Why did you decide to stop breastfeeding?

After 2 weeks, I began exclusively pumping. I'd been advised to pump after every feed to increase supply, so I just stopped breastfeeding. We were using a nipple shield and struggling so much. Charlotte would yell and scream every time I put her to the breast. Pumping seemed like the better option, although it turned out not to be (pumping every 2 hours daily and at least 3 times at night).

9. How long did you breastfeed for?

At the breast? 2 weeks. Pumping? In the process of weaning at 6 months.

10. Did any Health Care Provider explain the risks of formula feeding to you?

No.

11. What brand of formula did you chose and why?

Similac for Fussiness & Gas - they gave us Similac samples in the hospital and it was the only formula I had at home when advised to supplement. I stuck with it. Tried Emfamil Gentleease, as heard it was good for reflux, but I found it smelly and my LO hated it.

12. How do you feel about your breastfeeding experience?

Sad. If I hadn't been suffering from what I now know was PND, I feel I could have perservered. I was very educated about breastfeeding, yet still had unrealistic expectations. If I had just perservered past that first month, I can't help but think we might have "got it".

13. Did anyone offer you support for the loss of breastfeeding?

No.

14. Would you breastfeed any future children?

YES

Sorry I've re-edited my original post having re-read your original one! Not sure if I'm appropriate t complete this as I did BF for 7 months before changing?

1. What preparation had you made for breastfeeding before babies arrival?
I attended NCT antenatal classes and we had a 2hr session for women and partners on breastfeeding by a breastfeeding counsellor. I was loaned 2 books by friends which I started reading prior to LO's arrival

2. What kind of birth did you have. (please mention any interventions if there were any.)
Vaginal delivery with episiotomy and epidural. Antibiotics during and after labour for me and for 2 days for baby as I had a fever.

3. Did you get to have skin to skin with your baby right after birth?
Yes

4. How long after the birth (if at all) did baby breastfeed?
Approximately 10-15mins after for 5-10 mins then again 20 mins later for another 10mins.

5. What issues did you encounter?
Tongue tie and prolonged feeds

6. What support was there for you?
I contacted the woman who did the antenatal breastfeeding session and also my NCT teacher who gave me details of a different breastfeeding suporter nearer to me who came and visited me at home. I contacted my local HV who was totally useless see next answer.

7. Do you feel your Health Care Provider did enough to help you?
My HV was useless she never watched me feed and didn't even look in my LO's mouth when I said I thought he had a tongue tie just dismissed me. Prior to her the MW had been similarly useless when my LO started having persistent green poo she also didn't look in his mouth just told me to block feed.

8. Why did you decide to stop breastfeeding?
At around 6 months my LO started getting fussier and fussier at the breast and feeds were getting shorter and shorter and he wouldn't go back on. Then at 7 months he started refusing to latch completely. Prior to this BF had been a very positive bonding experience but within a week it became stressful for him as I kept trying to make him do something he didn't want to and very upsetting for me as I felt rejected. I had a freezer supply that allowed me to offer 1 bottle of EBM a day for another month but I felt that psychologically and physically the time had come to switch as my supply had been very diminished with the prolonged period of poor feeding.

9. How long did you breastfeed for?
7 months

10. Did any Health Care Provider explain the risks of formula feeding to you?
Many explained the benefits of breastfeeding. As per previous post for many reasons I still think it should be phrased this way although I understand the rationale for phrasing it as risks of FF. I think if mums have tried to BF and it hasn't worked for them as you say it can be a grief reaction to add to this the burden of them feeling they may be harming their child may be quite damaging for mum.

11. What brand of formula did you chose and why?
Aptamil - friends had used it and their baby's had tolerated it well. I had tried to look on websites to make my own judgement but the legal limitations on accessing information on first milk I actually found limited my ability to make my own decision as in a rush it wasn't readily available.

12. How do you feel about your breastfeeding experience?
Positive

13. Did anyone offer you support for the loss of breastfeeding?
No but I didn't seek it out. I discussed it with the rest of my antenatal group most of whom are still BF

14. Would you breastfeed any future children?
Yes I would hope to. I had a positive experience this time although had I not found someone who knew about TT and was able to help I would have stopped at 5 weeks and this wouldn't've been the case. The counsellor who came to my house so she could watch LO feed in his own environment and knew what she was talking about saved my BF. SHe was from a neighbouring london borough and they arfe set up so there is a breastfeeding drop-in somewhere in the borough every weekday. If for what ever reason you were not happy to BF oin public it would still be difficult though....

Very insightful ladies. Thank you so much for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->