For those that have experience using a midwife

christinebadd

Reaction score
Hi there. I am pregnant with my second child, and am under the care of a team of midwives this time, as I had a terrible hospital birthing experience with my first.

I haven't yet had my first appointment yet, but I am curious, and actually wondering if this is for me. I am on a low dose anti depressant and ahve been for 19 years, will this be of concern to the midwife treating me? I took it with my first so it didn't even dawn on me that I should mention this to them.

Also, I am undecided on a birth centre birth, or hospital birth with a midwife delivering. I am new to all this, and don't really know where midwives stand. Are they totally opposed to any pain medication? If I go into this deciding to not use anything, and then change my mind during labor, will I be refused pain medication?

Thanks in advance,

Christine

I imagine midwife care differs greatly so I can only say from my own experience.

A friend of mine was on anti depressants before pregnancy and I think she slowly weaned herself off them during early pregnancy but from what she said she was told they didn't risk baby. But I guess it depends on what you are on, I'm sure they can advise you on it and it certanly shouldn't be an issue or a problem with getting midwife care.

Again this is over here and im not sure what midwives are like with you, since midwives care for almost all of births over here. But they are definitely not opposed to pain meds here, if you ask for them so long as your labour has progressed far enough you get your pain relief.

As far as hospital or birthing centre goes, I would visit both (if you can) and see where you get the best feeling and feel is the right place to have your baby. Talk to your midwives and see what their opinions are too if it helps? Other peoples esperiences are good to have but always take with a pinch of salt as they are not you and we all have different experiences and expectations.

:flower:

Your midwife will obviously want to know about the antidepressants, as they'd want to know about anything you're taking (supplements, etc).

Most midwives I've met aren't opposed to medication as a rule, but are more supportive of drug-free labor than OBs tend to be, I think. They're more likely to educate you more fully on non-medical forms of pain relief, but I don't imagine they'd tell you NO if you chose to have medication on down the line. My midwife (who does birth center and home births) will accompany mom to the hospital if she chooses or needs to transfer, and says that most of the time when a transfer is required, it's because it's been a long labor and mom needs pain meds so she can get some rest so she has energy to push again - so very supportive of mom's needs and wants, even if that means having medication.

Hopefully you're still early enough you've got time to weed out any bad apples, anyway - just ask right up front what their opinions are of medicated delivery and see what they say. If you don't like their response, keep shopping!

Midwifery is a very new thing here, they only just got certified to deliver in hospitals, and there are so few of them, that people go on very long waiting lists. They are therefore very choosy on who they accept as patients. The government just recognized them 2 years ago, and starting providing funding. Crazy hey.

My doctors were fine the first time I was pregnant with the medications I am on, when it comes down to weighing the benefits and the risks, its way better for me to be on them.

Hi christine,

Like you, I had a terrible 1st time hospital birthing experience.

If you have issues with depression, I can only say that midwifery care will be even more beneficial for you. I had horrible postnatal depression after my 1st and the attention/care that the midwives give, was so much better. They were also much more concerned with my mental health/emotional wellbeing. The actual issue of having a history of depression should not be a problem.

In Canada, midwives at home (or birthing centre) can offer G&A (depends on location) and sterile water injections. However, I have to say, birthing in a home environment made it easy to not need any pain meds (at the hospital with #1, I was screaming for epidural by 3-4cm). It's so much more peaceful. The hot shower was good enough for me.

Here in Quebec, if you birth with a midwife at the hospital, she must transfer your care to the doctor if you want an epidural. I don't know if it's the same in Alberta. I think if you choose home or birth centre, you might not even think about it. What kept me going was knowing that the hospital was a nightmare and I just couldn't do it.

The midwives will not refuse pain medication/transfers to you - but they will try their darndest to help you through it without, if those were your wishes. So, it may feel like 'refusal' but it's part of their method of caring. Eventually, it is your final say (unless of course it is too late, I demanded an epidural when he was crowning and of course nobody listened haha).

Here in Canada, the midwives tend to be quite pro drug-free. Midwives are more rare and they don't work from the same clinical perspective as some American midwives do. Also, they aren't like the UK midwives where midwifery is standard - so, you're pretty much getting women who are dedicated to natural childbirth and going through the midwifery degree, which produces very pro-natural midwives. I haven't met a single midwife here in Quebec who hadn't given birth naturally herself, or was at least a die-hard proponent of natural childbirth.

On the other hand, it makes it easier to achieve the drug-free child birth. There is something comforting about being with other women who have done it. I would look at them at 8-9cm and think "okay, she did it, I will too"... if that makes sense.

Thank you so much!!! I am in Alberta, and am really looking forward to having the support of a midwife for this pregnancy, more so for just emotional well being of myself, and my family. I am terrified to return to a hospital, and had nightmares for months after delivering my son, it was so traumatic. No one ever talked to me about it, or even acknowledged it. I labored at home for 12 hours, then went to the hospital when I felt things were ready to proceed, however when I got there they refused to see how much I was dilated, and because I didn't "look" to be in a lot of pain, they told me to walk the stairwell for 2 hours so things would speed up, and until a bed became available. I didn't use any pain medication, and after collapsing and going into shock in the stairwell and hall of the hospital, my husband had to carry me back to the maternity ward, when they finally agreed to check me, I was 9 1/2 cm. That ruined it for me. From that moment on I always felt I would rather have my next baby at home versus walking stairs in that much pain.

Aw I'm so sorry :( I too used to cry just driving by the hospital. The midwife experience was so much better and I can say I actually enjoyed it. Now when I drive by the hospital, I just want to give it the middle finger instead of cry ;)

My HB ended in hospital transfer for prolonged pushing but he popped out about an hour later and I never had to deal with nurses/doctor. Never saw them, and left 3 hours later with the midwife. It was great. Leaving my bloody mess and walking out was my revenge haha.

For a home birth (if that's what you want), they will basically leave you alone and check you on occasion. Your body and mind will know what to do and where to go (I highly recommend the shower), when you are in your own space. I don't know, it's quite primal. I think you'll love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->