for those who have traveled on a plane

Vickie

Hannah & Rhys <3
Reaction score
Did you take your carseat? If so did you have to check it or could you door check it? We're going away in a couple of weeks and we have to take the carseat to get to the airport (otherwise I'd just buy one in Texas). I hate the idea of checking it as baggage because they ALWAYS lose our luggage when we go to Amarillo. The last 3 years our luggage has been lost :wacko: And the carseat isn't something we can afford to wait on them to deliver! :help:

I didnt take ours. we hired one with the car we hired at the other end. Seemed much easier.

Good luck!

hmm I wonder if the cab we take the airport would be able to have one? hmmm something to think about.

Nope I didnt take ours either. I rang loads of times about the buggies which they put in at the very end as we were boarding:happydance:

Oh I've just had a thought about something they told me, I could take it if I paid for a seat for it :shock: I'd ring your airline hun because they all have so many different rules and the airport you're going to often has the opposite rules to the airlines:rofl: as I found out!

very true. I'm just worried about getting to the airport. Will have to talk to hubby about this

hmm I wonder if the cab we take the airport would be able to have one? hmmm something to think about.

do babies need to be in car seats in cabs there? I'm not sure they do in UK? Though obviously its better safety-wise!

How far is the airport? Is it an expensive cab ride? Would hiring a car be a daft idea?
Or paying a friend to take you?

I didnt because when I checked with them they said it could only go in with the main luggage and that it could become damaged or broken and they wouldnt take any responsibility!

x

We took our car to the airport and left it there, paid about £20 for carpark but that was only a week. Is there maybe someone who could give you a lift to the airport?

we took jack on a plane at 13months old, did not take a car seat, i was worried about this too at the time but we were fine and did not need one-it would have been so much more hassle with one in my opinion. we just had the pushchair right till we boarded the plane and got a seat belt for taking off and landing and got pushchair back as soon as we got off plane. we had a coach transfer and used taxis a bit over there and did not need a car seat, hope this helps a bit. x

Check with your airline as to whether you can take the car seat to the plane or not. It differs with each airline. Can only speak for the one I used to work for, but passengers were always allowed to take buggy´s and car seats to the plane doors and then they were taken off them, put in the hold with an extra tag on them to be delivered back to the plane door for disembarkation. Quite often if there was room on the plane we would allow car seats to be brought onto the plane and stowed under a spare seat - but theres no guarantee of that especially if its a full flight.

If you purchase an extra seat you can use the car seat on the plane - if its a car seat that says for use on planes on it, there is a special label on them. Not all airlines allow this though, so again check. Generally children under the age of two don´t get a seat and have to sit on parents knees. Unless you are lucky and there is a spare seat, in which case they just have to be on your knee for take off and landing.....so went off on one there, back into Flight Attendant mode!!

me and salim flew here to morocco 4 weeks ago and I didnt take his carseat. It would of been another hassle to add to my list. You can take his pushchair right up to the gate which I didnt do either lol. Salim was only 10 weeks old so carried him in a sling. I put his pushchair in a buggy bag and put his sterilizer and covers toys etc all in there because it doesnt count towards your weight allowance so you save space and weight in any suitcases your taking. I was lucky really because I flew with thomsonfly like I always do and the plane had a few empty seats, the cabin crew moved me to a empty row so we had 3 seats for me and salim which was great and took alot of the stress off. Rather than taking your carseat you would be better just paying for the extra seat. Happy flying its really not half as bad as you think its going to be. Salim was only awake 30 minutes of a 4 hour flight and was asleep for take off and landing. Try get an early morning flight helps too.

do babies need to be in car seats in cabs there? I'm not sure they do in UK? Though obviously its better safety-wise!

How far is the airport? Is it an expensive cab ride? Would hiring a car be a daft idea?
Or paying a friend to take you?

I'm pretty sure that we have to have a carseat in the cab but will check with Stan. The airport is about 30 minutes drive from our apartment and the cab ride is around $50. Not sure about hiring a car.

And Mamafy we talked about asking the MIL but I just really don't think she'll agree to it :rofl: Sad as that is to say

Vickie here you can request a cab with a carseat! They have so many car seat equipped. Or what if you got a friend to drive you to the airport and then your car seat is in safe keeping

We drive to the airport so we have a carseat and if we hire a car abroad then we hire a carseat too (they rip you off though, cheeky sods. It's sooooooo much extra for a babyseat it may be cheaper to buy one there).

I'd be worried about how banged about my own carseat would get going as luggage and wouldn't trust it to be safe afterwards as it could be dropped etc. You can't take it on plane as under 2's don't have their own seat anyway so nowhere to put it:hissy:

I think we are going to buy a car seat there and request one in the cab like Rae suggested for the trip there, than see if his mom will pick us up when we get back (we leave early in the morning so I don't think she'll get up to take us to the airport :rofl:)

We brought Josh's car seat when we flew to England. We checked it though and I had forgot to put it in a plastic bag so it came back all dirty and filthy! :dohh:

well I called my mom and sent her on a car seat hunt. I just don't want to take the risk that they'll lose my car seat and we'll be stuck in the airport (literally they lose our luggage every time, I think they inspect it in Dallas because we're international and it never gets on our plane :dohh:)

well I called my mom and sent her on a car seat hunt. I just don't want to take the risk that they'll lose my car seat and we'll be stuck in the airport (literally they lose our luggage every time, I think they inspect it in Dallas because we're international and it never gets on our plane :dohh:)

Oh don't get me started on their crappy system :roll:

I think it's better to get one in Texas,the cab company's car seat will do for one drive and that way you're sure you won't be stuck there no longer than necessery.
xxx

my poor mother hasn't bought a car seat in almost 30 years :rofl: She called a few places looking for the one I want and they asked her some questions and she said "I don't know I'm the grandma" :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->