For those who meal plan..

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
Can you please give me some example meals?

I do my shop online now and spend £50 or there abouts a week. Im aiming to get 5 home cooked type meals and 2 easy chuck in the oven meals (like frozen fish & chips) incase we're late home or if I go out for dinner with my mum so theres something for OH etc.
I'm kind of stuck in a rut and want to do some different dishes. We generally do 2 pasta dishes (like spag bol and pasta bake or pasta with sausage and tomato sauce, spag carb), a stew and dumplings in my slow cooker, chili, fajitas, curry, occasionally I do a roast chicken, pizza, sausage and mash, sausage casserole... stuff like that.

recipes too if you have any!

Hey

I get stuck in a rut all the time with ideas.

I recently found a ridiculously tasty recipe for prawn tagliatelle and it's not that bad for you either. It does contain a bit of wine.

Recipe
Top tip: You can play around with this one a little, and make it to your taste - you can add parsley, even take out the chilli, and use as little or as much garlic as you want. I've made it with dried chilli flakes and red onion when I've not had spring onions etc.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

King Prawns (cooked and peeled) - 150g to 200g
Half Fat Creme Fraiche - 175g
Spring Onions - 10 (just over a bunch)
Garlic - 3 good-sized cloves (or 4!)
Medium Fresh Green Chilli - 1
White Wine (dry) - about 200ml
Chicken Oxo Cube - 1/2
Fresh Egg Tagliatelle - 6 baskets
Lemon - 1
Chives - half a small bunch
Butter (salted) - 25g

1. Chop the spring onions up to 1cm thick. Peel the garlic. De-seed the green chilli, and dice it finely. Chop the chives roughly too.

2. Using all but a handful, sauté the spring onions in the butter with crushed garlic until the onions soften. Add the prawns and chilli, and heat through for a minute. Then remove from the heat before you add in the wine.

3. At this point, put the fresh egg tagliatelle in a pan of boiling water, with a little salt.

4. Return the prawns and white wine to the heat and reduce the mixture by approximately half. Crumble half of the chicken oxo cube into the pan, and stir in until it dissolves. Season the mixture with pepper to taste.

5. Remove from the heat and stir in the creme fraiche. Add all but a handful of the chopped chives, and juice of half the lemon and stir in.

6. Drain the tagliatelle once it's cooked, and add the mixture to the pasta.

Serve with the remaining chives and spring onions sprinkled on top, and a slice of lemon. You can also add some garlic bread to the plate, if your guests are hungry!

Other regular meals we have;
- Chilli & Rice
- Roast Chicken with roasted veg, we habve a leg and a wing each and then save the breast to make something with the next day such as chicken and pasta or enchiladas/fajitas
- Pasta with crispy bacon mixed in with Pesto
- Jacket potatoes with cold meats and salad
- Omlette/ham & egg and homemade oven chips
- Loads of different salads with a steak or anything really
- Roast dinner (we often make enough for 2 extra plates and dish them up and put them in the freezer, great for a quick mid week meal, but nice as it's homemade)

Brown Rice salad
Boil up some brown rice
Chop up red peppers and spring onions
Dash or 5 of Soy sauce
Sprinkling of chinese 5 spice powder
Mix it all up

With the left over rice salad I sometimes heat up a wok/big frying pan and stir fry it in a little oil, then crack an egg or 2 in there and it makes great egg fried rice.

My faves at the mo are:

Shephards pie either topped with butternut squash or sweet potatoe.

Sweet potatoe jacket with cheese n beans

Sweet potatoe wedges in the oven, put in pan of cold water, bring to boil, soon as water boiles empty water and coat in olive oile into oven for 20-25 mins yummy!

Recently weve had:

Stroganoff tagliatelle
Sausage, veg and sweetcorn fritters with gravy
Tuna pasta salad
Toad in the hole with mash and gravy
Burritos with spicy rice
Chicken chasseur with veg and new potatoes
Spicy lentil soup with homemade croutons
Chicken supreme and rice
Steak with peppercorn sauce, new potatoes and veg

x

Ours for this week -
swede and celeric topped pie
roast chicken, roast pot, butternut squash green beans
pork stir fry
pork sweet and sour
chicken curry
quiche, wedges and beans - easy one
oven fish and chips - easy one

mmm that tagliatelle sounds amazeeeeeeeeeeeing

thanks guys!

im gonna try and make a document saying the dishes and ingredients so i can just pick and chose every week. We used to have a huge prob with going to the shops, spending £60 but only coming home with 2 dinners for the week :dohh:

well prawns are a bit expensive, I've also made it with chicken and mushrooms and it's just as tasty. It's the sauce that does it, because you use creme fraiche it's so creamy but so much better for you than cream :thumbup:

My meal plan for the week is so boring for the week compared to everyone else :haha: I can never think of what to cook.

Sunday- Lasagne and home made garlic bread
Monday- Chicken Korma and naan bread
Tuesday- Beef stew and dumplings
Wednesday- Fried breakfast type thing
Thursday- Jacket spuds, cheese, tuna and coleslaw
Friday- Spag Bol
Saturday- Chicken Salad and chips

That's not boring! It probably just feels like it to you.

I get bored of my menu's. I love knowing what everyone else eats, just for a new perspective :D

My meal plan for the week is so boring for the week compared to everyone else :haha: I can never think of what to cook.

Friday- Spag Bol

We eat similar meals :thumbup:

I also make lasagne, shepherd/cottage pie, chicken &bacon & salad wraps, burgers in buns, chilli, sweet and sour chicken, chicken stir fry, gammon and egg, lamb chop with veg, pasta bake, carbonara, fry up :flower: I buy a couple of pizzas just to throw in the oven. I always have a few ready meals in but rarely eat them unless I haven't had time to cook xx

Friday- Spag Bol

We eat similar meals :thumbup:

I also make lasagne, shepherd/cottage pie, chicken &bacon & salad wraps, burgers in buns, chilli, sweet and sour chicken, chicken stir fry, gammon and egg, lamb chop with veg, pasta bake, carbonara, fry up :flower: I buy a couple of pizzas just to throw in the oven. I always have a few ready meals in but rarely eat them unless I haven't had time to cook xx

Minus the gammon we are very similiar by the sounds of it :haha:

Pan Haggerty FTW!!

Its layered potato, onions, carrot and bacon cooked in one pan in a little stock, its super cheap super yummy and really simple one pot meal.

We use bacon offcuts or cooking bacon from tesco value range to make it even cheaper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/panhaggerty_93163

Meatloaf
Lasagna
Baked Spaghetti
Pork Chops with rice and gravy
Roast (in the crockpot) with carrots and potatos
Chicken and Broccoli alfredo
Grilled Salmon with corn and baked potatos
Cheeseburger macaroni (home made not hamburger helper)
Homemade pizza
Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Beef stew (made in the crockpot)

ETA: I forgot about tacos, taco ring, pizza casserole and nachos. Those aren't the healthiest but they are easy to make and the kids seem to eat them. I also have a recipe box and I pick out my meals from there, so much easier than trying to remember items.

Those are our staples. To find new recipes I love this website, www.allrecipes.com All of thier recipes can be converted to metric if need be. :thumbup:

Ooh, I need this thread.
I make regularly-
Chicken lasagne (mince is borrring, I make it exactly the same but substitute chicken for mince!)
spaghetti bolognese
Chilli
Enchiladas
Cajun chicken and wedges (I use one of those shakey bag things for the chicken, I'm lazy)
Stew and dumplings
Thai green curry (the only jar I use since I'll never learn to make it!)
Fajitas with wedges
Random tomato sauce pasta things with any veg I can find, it's so easy when you can make the sauce from scratch isn't it!
I don't really eat rice, it annoys me. Daisy lives it though so I should start doing it more!

I make the slimming world wedges and they're soo easy, I'm a carbaholic though..

I'll be watching this thread! I'm always in need of some new ideas....i'm fed up cooking the same things!

Jacket potatoes never get boring for me, different toppings every time :) Sweet potato ones are lush too!

Hey

I get stuck in a rut all the time with ideas.

I recently found a ridiculously tasty recipe for prawn tagliatelle and it's not that bad for you either. It does contain a bit of wine.

Recipe
Top tip: You can play around with this one a little, and make it to your taste - you can add parsley, even take out the chilli, and use as little or as much garlic as you want. I've made it with dried chilli flakes and red onion when I've not had spring onions etc.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

King Prawns (cooked and peeled) - 150g to 200g
Half Fat Creme Fraiche - 175g
Spring Onions - 10 (just over a bunch)
Garlic - 3 good-sized cloves (or 4!)
Medium Fresh Green Chilli - 1
White Wine (dry) - about 200ml
Chicken Oxo Cube - 1/2
Fresh Egg Tagliatelle - 6 baskets
Lemon - 1
Chives - half a small bunch
Butter (salted) - 25g

1. Chop the spring onions up to 1cm thick. Peel the garlic. De-seed the green chilli, and dice it finely. Chop the chives roughly too.

2. Using all but a handful, sauté the spring onions in the butter with crushed garlic until the onions soften. Add the prawns and chilli, and heat through for a minute. Then remove from the heat before you add in the wine.

3. At this point, put the fresh egg tagliatelle in a pan of boiling water, with a little salt.

4. Return the prawns and white wine to the heat and reduce the mixture by approximately half. Crumble half of the chicken oxo cube into the pan, and stir in until it dissolves. Season the mixture with pepper to taste.

5. Remove from the heat and stir in the creme fraiche. Add all but a handful of the chopped chives, and juice of half the lemon and stir in.

6. Drain the tagliatelle once it's cooked, and add the mixture to the pasta.

Serve with the remaining chives and spring onions sprinkled on top, and a slice of lemon. You can also add some garlic bread to the plate, if your guests are hungry!

Other regular meals we have;
- Chilli & Rice
- Roast Chicken with roasted veg, we habve a leg and a wing each and then save the breast to make something with the next day such as chicken and pasta or enchiladas/fajitas
- Pasta with crispy bacon mixed in with Pesto
- Jacket potatoes with cold meats and salad
- Omlette/ham & egg and homemade oven chips
- Loads of different salads with a steak or anything really
- Roast dinner (we often make enough for 2 extra plates and dish them up and put them in the freezer, great for a quick mid week meal, but nice as it's homemade)

Brown Rice salad
Boil up some brown rice
Chop up red peppers and spring onions
Dash or 5 of Soy sauce
Sprinkling of chinese 5 spice powder
Mix it all up

With the left over rice salad I sometimes heat up a wok/big frying pan and stir fry it in a little oil, then crack an egg or 2 in there and it makes great egg fried rice.

I am so cooking the prawn tagliatelle tomorrow night :thumbup:

One of my favorite meals that is fast, easy, healthy, filling, and good for a family because it is cheap is ground hamburger, rice, and mixed vegetables. Cook them seperately then put rice and veggies in with hamburger, mix all together and serve. Put a little bit of ketchup on top and it is a very tasty meal. And hardly costs anything.

I used to meal plan but I've been so disorganised recently and fallen off the wagon :/

I do all the usual stuff mentioned above but have been mixing it up a bit which has gone down quite well :).

Lentil chilli with tacos (nom)
A regular vegetarian chilli packed with tonnes of veg, everyone loves it!
Slow cooked beef massaman curry (in slow cooker)
Moroccan lamb chop stew thing (will do it in the slow cooker next time) - my baby went nuts for the sweet potato!
Pea risotto (dead quick to make)
Store bought fresh gnocchi with pesto, bacon, cherry tomatoes, spinach & sweetcorn, topped with cheese - always a winner!

Ive been trying to do dishes that last a few days to save time and its been going quite
Well. Made lasagne tonight - baby loved it, I was shocked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->