Foreigners

The main thing that cropped up is the mosques and not being able to fly the flag or do the nativity incase in offends anyone - when they said 'foreigners' it was definitely aimed at the asian's although they did mention the polish a little.

i mentioned the word 'uneducated' again didnt go down well :haha:

Urgh I HATE the whole ridiculous argument of 'well we wouldn't be allowed to build Churches in their country'....like, how is that a coherent or logical argument at all? Do you really want to live in a country that suppresses freedom of religion? And the whole flag banning thing is a total myth other than a few isolated cases - shitty tabloids with a hidden agenda (cough cough the daily mail) have a lot to fucking answer for! Some people are too uneducated/don't care enough to question misleading headlines and stories and that is so so dangerous and damaging.

Where I live I see so many different cultures and nationalities and it is completely normal to me. I often forget that other places aren't as much of a melting pot. I think it's pretty cool that I can have friends who believe in all sorts of different things. Different cultures can bring so much insight if you're open to it.

The U.K is really multicultural though - actually having gone to Vancouver almost every summer since I was a baby, I would definitely say that the U.K is significantly more diverse! But in certain parts of the country there is a huge problem with segregation and I think there is a lot of subtle accepted racism bubbling under the surface, which is much more difficult to confront. Especially with the popularity of complaining that things are 'too PC' these days.

Oops, I always end up ranting when I get to this subject!

:wave: I'm a foreigner! I paid over £8000 in visa fees to be here with my husband. I've noticed that people in general in the states are actually way nicer than those in the UK in general at times.

I personally would like to see those in the EU pay a fee to come to the UK...

What is this comment?! The US certainly has its fair share of racists and xenophobes too. I don't really understand what you are implying here at all. Aren't blanket statements about different nationalities what we are criticising here?

I really can't stand ill informed judgments about other races. I've faced a fair few before, and all stem from pure ignorance...an unwillingness to learn or read...and a desire to have a scapegoat for the problems the country may face.

Anyone who s Muslim or Eastern European currently seem to be in the firing line - it's almost as if we have to line up a different race every fifty years and attack, and then move onto the next.

Fortunately, the ignoramuses still remain a minority, and I remain proud of the multicultural uk. I hope that continues.

Ozzie, I was wondering the same...I've met plenty of people from both countries who display a pretty horrendous view of other nationalities!

The U.K is really multicultural though - actually having gone to Vancouver almost every summer since I was a baby, I would definitely say that the U.K is significantly more diverse! But in certain parts of the country there is a huge problem with segregation and I think there is a lot of subtle accepted racism bubbling under the surface, which is much more difficult to confront. Especially with the popularity of complaining that things are 'too PC' these days.

Oops, I always end up ranting when I get to this subject!

I wasn't referring to the UK specifically, it was just a general comment. :)

There are always going to be people who just don't "get it" regardless of where you are. We met an older (Canadian) guy in Mexico who was bitching about Asians to an Asian girl! She was like, "you realize I'm Asian, right?" and he said "you speak English, you don't count." Like...what? :dohh:

I'm speaking for in the US. I don't have a problem with foreigners, I only have a problem with illegals that come here and get free medical, and no taxes. Pay your taxes and hospital bills and I will be fine and dandy, we have to pick up the slack for it.

:wave: I'm a foreigner! I paid over £8000 in visa fees to be here with my husband. I've noticed that people in general in the states are actually way nicer than those in the UK in general at times.

What is this comment?! The US certainly has its fair share of racists and xenophobes too. I don't really understand what you are implying here at all. Aren't blanket statements about different nationalities what we are criticising here?

Oh lou :nope: Ever picking apart my comments, eh?

I meant that customer service is much better than that in the UK. I tried to word this as tactfully as possible. People in the UK are more pessimistic. It's my experience. And, to be honest, you've just validated my statement right there.

Ozzi was only giving her personal opinion from her observations not speaking for the entire country. Wasnt even a racist remark either just that people where nicer elsewhere.

I lived in NI all my life and was born there. Yet even I got the racist remarks, even on facebook from locals. Assuming I am not local and sending me insulting messages and insulting my name. Its pretty sad. We dont have a big mixed community here, we have a few more Polish but thats about it. I like Polish people to, they work hard . They put some to shame here which annoys so many people as they do work well where as people complain here all the time. I think some locals here need to wise up and take a look at themselves closer before shouting about everyone else coming in. I know its different in the UK as you have many different religions and colours but here its one of the other really.

see my OH family aren't from the UK so i have no problem with foreigners however i can understand why people are getting a bit fed up over it (and i believe it is the government that do it) as for the fact that alot of the time foreigners do get put first especially when it comes to housing i also know some foreigners who actually get more money on benefits because of it/get child benefit for children not living in this country.
The UK is over populated and housing is hard to come by so yes i believe something does need to be done about immigration New Zealand and Australia dont get called racists for having strict boarder regulations so yes i do believe we should close our boarders incl to the EU and have a more strict approach but that doesn't make me a racist

I meant that customer service is much better than that in the UK. I tried to word this as tactfully as possible. People in the UK are more pessimistic. It's my experience. And, to be honest, you've just validated my statement right there.

I've got to agree with louandivy here. You're saying that people in the UK are more pessimistic but surely that's just the people you have met or spoken to rather than the whole population of the UK? It's a bit illogical to generalise like that.

In my experience. IN MY EXPERIENCE! IN MY EXPERIENCE! Geezus!

see my OH family aren't from the UK so i have no problem with foreigners however i can understand why people are getting a bit fed up over it (and i believe it is the government that do it) as for the fact that alot of the time foreigners do get put first especially when it comes to housing i also know some foreigners who actually get more money on benefits because of it/get child benefit for children not living in this country.
The UK is over populated and housing is hard to come by so yes i believe something does need to be done about immigration New Zealand and Australia dont get called racists for having strict boarder regulations so yes i do believe we should close our boarders incl to the EU and have a more strict approach but that doesn't make me a racist

This is exactly what I was referring to when I was ranting about misleading articles in the media. Where are you getting all this information from? Have you ever thought to even question any of it?

Do you know how much money asylum seekers receive in benefits a week? £37.7. And immigrants are an ASSET to the economy, they contribute more to government revenues than they receive in government spending. And birth rates in the UK are in decline, and if anything because the population is ageing we actually need more immigrants to help keep up the economy of a country with a high elderly population.

Maybe you're not racist but you sound incredibly ignorant. I cannot stand when people base opinions on myth, it is the reason why segregation is such a massive problem in this stupid country!

So, people from another country can't insult anyone or say anything bad, but you're free to call your own country stupid?

I've got to agree with louandivy here. You're saying that people in the UK are more pessimistic but surely that's just the people you have met or spoken to rather than the whole population of the UK? It's a bit illogical to generalise like that.

In my experience. IN MY EXPERIENCE! IN MY EXPERIENCE! Geezus!

Lol you do amuse me sometimes :haha:

I try :haha:

This is exactly what I was referring to when I was ranting about misleading articles in the media. Where are you getting all this information from? Have you ever thought to even question any of it?

Do you know how much money asylum seekers receive in benefits a week? £37.7. And immigrants are an ASSET to the economy, they contribute more to government revenues than they receive in government spending. And birth rates in the UK are in decline, and if anything because the population is ageing we actually need more immigrants to help keep up the economy of a country with a high elderly population.

Maybe you're not racist but you sound incredibly ignorant. I cannot stand when people base opinions on myth, it is the reason why segregation is such a massive problem in this stupid country!

No its not myths its what I've seen and people I know in my area I'm sorry but we don't need immigrants to keep this country afloat we need the lazy people that refuse to work work

Like I said I don't blame the people I have a lot of friends from lots of different nationalities I blame the government I'm trying to show why some people aren't happy with immigrants

It was not a myth that there was a group of Muslims that walk around with banners saying British soldiers should all die and burnt a poppy in middle of a parade this is a minority yes but surly you can understand how this can get people's back up

I'm not gonna get into a big debate about it but I'm allowed my opinion just like everyone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->