Formula feeding

Breeelizabeth

Reaction score
I won't be breast feeding and will be exclusively formula feeding but I have a few questions.
How many bottles will I need to have? Are bottle warmers handy? Also does anyone know if the doctor will give me something to dry up my milk or will I still need to buy some breast pads?
Thanks ladies :)

Don't have much information personally as I breast fed dd and hope to do the same with this baby, but you might find some useful information/support on the formula feeding group under baby forums.
Good luck xx

I won't be breast feeding and will be exclusively formula feeding but I have a few questions.
How many bottles will I need to have? Are bottle warmers handy? Also does anyone know if the doctor will give me something to dry up my milk or will I still need to buy some breast pads?
Thanks ladies :)

Im currently finding 4 is enough, but if i was to start going out id be looking at 6.

I personally always thought water warms were helpful esp for night feeds. Everyone is different, we bought tommee tippee perfect prep this time.

Far as im aware just thing we all have to go through so 1 pk 40 breast pads will most likely get you through.

My baby isn't born yet, but my neighbor has a 2 year old and we were talking and she told me the bottle warmer was the best baby shower present she got!

I had 8 bottles with my daughter as I found I always had 4 in the steriliser and 4 prepared with boiled water ready for when I needed them. Could probably have got by with less by sterilising more often but my daughter was very demanding as wanted to be held all the time so it helped having a lot made up. I never used a bottle warmer and always fed room temperature bottles but can imagine it is handy for night time feeds.

I never got anything to dry up breast milk, just used lots of breast pads and found sticking them in place with surgical tape worked well during the night otherwise I'd wake up with a very wet nightie :) x

I agree that 8 seems good. I bought distilled water and fed room temp...never used my bottle warmer and baby never complained. I would personally try first without warmer because if the baby takes it then its one less step for you! I was trying to breastfeed and it wasn't going so well so I think I just naturally dried up. There was no pain or anything, but I have heard of people taking something. Good luck!

I bottle fed from the get go (and will do again) my milk never came in; I had bought breast pads but didn't need them.
We had 9 bottles, which was plenty enough. Never used a bottle warmer.

In the beginning 4 was enough, but around 2 months we bought 8 in total since it was just easier with feedings. I never used a bottle warmer and just did it old style. Also never used a steriliser. I washed them out and boiled them in salty water. :) worked perfect! You will have to get something to dry up milk so that you don't get mastitis or blocked ducts etc. Mine however dried up by itself. I do hope to breastfeed this time without medical complications again, but did buy bottles for expressing or if need to formula feed for whatever reason.

Thanks ladies. I got given 8 bottles for my baby shower so I shouldn't have to buy any right now by the sounds!

Our steriliser fitted in 6 at a time.
So we had 12 bottles - 6 for use and 6 for washing up.

We never used our bottle warmer and I'd advise not to if you can get away with it and LO is happy with room temperature, we found it so much easier when we were out and about and LO never objected to the milk being room temperature.

I don't think they do give you anything to dry up milk - I know years ago they used to give out tablets but they don't anymore. Just leave well alone and it should go away pretty quickly. Try not to have warm water on your boobs when you shower or bath as this can stimulate milk production and try not to touch them either. You might find that a well fitting bra gives them the support they need whilst they're making the transition as it can be pretty uncomfortable. I also found that laying on my front (catching up on months of not being able to sleep on my belly!) made them leak more.

I bought 3 packs of 6 bottles for my first (first time mom, I bought clear then saw pretty blue ones and bought those too!) and never even opened 2 of the boxes, so 6 was enough for me :flower: Never bothered with a bottle warmer.

I think my milk dried up within a week. I wore a tight padded sports bra so I had no pain and I didn't leak :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->