Foster Mommy here!

redarrow

TTC our Rainbow Baby
Reaction score
Hello, just thought I would introduce myself! I am a foster carer along with my hubby. We have been fostering only since October 2010 and it was the best thing we ever did. We love evey moment of it. It is bloody hard work but its so worthwhile. If anyone wants any help with the process or just to chat then feel free to message me :flower:

My husband and I are getting our home ready (once our taxes get in) To do the exact same thing :D We have already finished the required classes and such. We are wavering between fostering full time or fostering to adopt though. We haven't decided quite what we are wanting to do yet.

ooohhh well keep me posted and good luck on your fostering journey xxx

we have been foster parents for 6 years, and we have 3 beautiful children which we have adopted along the way.

i ve been fostering since last year. i lost a baby during it all it was sad i had a little break, have twins coming to stay in a week (family of 10 - 7 taken into care, neglect:( ) cant wait to have the twins as my wee girl hates being a only child ...

aww we are having a 13 year old yp coming today to stay with us untill at least August maybe longer :)

Hi
I am new to the fostering at the beginning actually, having my first meeting tomo. I am a bit nervous.
Is the fostering to full time or fostering to adopt available in the uk?
Victoria

I would love to foster here in the UK but i dont know the age requirements. i would only take a child up to 2years old as its what we are able to provide for, but thing is i am only 19years old mum of one, and jamie is 20 x We have our own home and transport etc, toys galore, but i dont think someone my age is allowed to foster :(

I am now WTT and would love to give my love to a child in need x

I would love to foster here in the UK but i dont know the age requirements. i would only take a child up to 2years old as its what we are able to provide for, but thing is i am only 19years old mum of one, and jamie is 20 x We have our own home and transport etc, toys galore, but i dont think someone my age is allowed to foster :(

I am now WTT and would love to give my love to a child in need x

If you looknon the local council website it will say all the requirements it used to be 21 age limit but they have changed some things

Is anyone a emergency foster care? If so hoe long do they stay?

Also how big ate tge spare room you have for the children is there a certain size or do they just have to have there own room?

They have to have their own room. To protect ur childrens interests as well as their own. Emerg fostering can be anything up to 1 nit and 3 weeks, usually tends to be unruly teens who become homeless, its rewarding but hard work

I have three kids of my own, a 4 1/2 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I have always wanted to foster and/or adopt. Can you give certain age ranges? I think having such young kids I would be nervous to have anyone much older in the house. Also, is it hard to become a foster parent when you have young kids? And I know this is a stupid question, and probably VERY easily taken the wrong way (but it's not meant to be), but are most of the kids pretty stable? Meaning I guess, are they emotionally ok or completely distant and unreachable? I'm sure it depends on the child, but I've seen so many "after school specials" about foster kids and the hell some of them go through that I can't help but think that.

We've been fostering my nephews since March 2010, and last month we were given legal parental rights/residency - so now we are their legal guardians. It's an awesome thing to do.

We are now fostering a 9 year old girl and hopefully it will be on a long term placement. Short term at the moment but all is going so so well :)

hello . as a few already know me on here , but if you dont , im jo iv been fostering for 3 years . i have 2 girls who have been with me for 2 and half years . one of which may be long term and the other may go live with her dad and other siblins ( maybe ) but its all taking so long and i love the girls and dont want them to go now , we will defo be on 3 years with them 2 by the time the court makes decission .
i also have 2 sons of my own ..

My husband and I would love to become foster parents. We have been struggling with infertility and have decided that this route, and eventually adoption may be a better choice for us.

We are unsure where to start, and would love to hear from someone who has gone through the steps required in Canada. :)

Miss Cherry - the age requirement is 25, or 21 if your partner is 25 or over. Also, not to be rude, but you can't pick and choose the age of the child. When you become a foster carer you have to be willing to take any child that comes - and often there are sibling groups. Now, usually, you're not allowed to foster a child that is a similar age to your own. They often say there should be at least a 2 year age gap (if possible) either side of your child's age. Obviously that's not always possible, especially if you get an emergency case.

Soph - Emergency Fostering is just that - emergency. The child(ren) or young person will often come at very short notice, and usually will stay a day or 2 until a placement can be found (they like to make it as quick as possible so they child will setlle with their carer and not be too disrupted). Occasionally (and very rarely) that child will stay as long as a week. Usually in the case of an emergency social services will go to court the day after the child is placed as an emergency and get an emergency Care Order which lasts 48-36hours before they get an Interim Care Order. Then the child will either be moved, or if the foster carer they're placed with as an emergency has room for them, and are registered as short-term or long-term Fosterers then sometimes the child will stay with them. Often a lot of children go into Care as an emergency but an emergency order only lasts a few days until they can get an Interim Care Order

Colleen - In short, no you can't choose an age range. Because you're children are so young it's more likely you'd have older children, or sometimes Teenagers placed with you. This is because it can be very difficult for a child in Foster Care, and if they're placed around other children their age, they all start fighting for who deserves attention etc. As for whether they're completley "stable" or not ... Every child, and every case, is different. Children who have been badly abused can be completely withdrawn or sometimes extra hyper (to get attention). A lot of it depends on where they've come from and what's happened. Sadly most children in Care are damaged in one way or another. A Foster Carer's job is to do more than just provide them with a safe, stable home. They have to show that child what it's really like to be part of a family. They have to help the child make sense of why they've come into Care without bringing up too many distressing feelings. This takes time and trust.
What I would advise you though, mainly because your children are so young, would be to wait a few years. Young children find it difficult to understand the concept of fostering - especially as usually there will be lots of children in and out your house. Also, your children would have to share you with other children. These are children who potentially may need a little extra 1-2-1 time and will need plenty of time and space to understand things. Also, there's a lot of transporting Foster Children to contacts with their family, which may make your children upset or jealous that you spend so much time with them

Miss Cherry - the age requirement is 25, or 21 if your partner is 25 or over. Also, not to be rude, but you can't pick and choose the age of the child. When you become a foster carer you have to be willing to take any child that comes - and often there are sibling groups. Now, usually, you're not allowed to foster a child that is a similar age to your own. They often say there should be at least a 2 year age gap (if possible) either side of your child's age. Obviously that's not always possible, especially if you get an emergency case.

Soph - Emergency Fostering is just that - emergency. The child(ren) or young person will often come at very short notice, and usually will stay a day or 2 until a placement can be found (they like to make it as quick as possible so they child will setlle with their carer and not be too disrupted). Occasionally (and very rarely) that child will stay as long as a week. Usually in the case of an emergency social services will go to court the day after the child is placed as an emergency and get an emergency Care Order which lasts 48-36hours before they get an Interim Care Order. Then the child will either be moved, or if the foster carer they're placed with as an emergency has room for them, and are registered as short-term or long-term Fosterers then sometimes the child will stay with them. Often a lot of children go into Care as an emergency but an emergency order only lasts a few days until they can get an Interim Care Order

Colleen - In short, no you can't choose an age range. Because you're children are so young it's more likely you'd have older children, or sometimes Teenagers placed with you. This is because it can be very difficult for a child in Foster Care, and if they're placed around other children their age, they all start fighting for who deserves attention etc. As for whether they're completley "stable" or not ... Every child, and every case, is different. Children who have been badly abused can be completely withdrawn or sometimes extra hyper (to get attention). A lot of it depends on where they've come from and what's happened. Sadly most children in Care are damaged in one way or another. A Foster Carer's job is to do more than just provide them with a safe, stable home. They have to show that child what it's really like to be part of a family. They have to help the child make sense of why they've come into Care without bringing up too many distressing feelings. This takes time and trust.
What I would advise you though, mainly because your children are so young, would be to wait a few years. Young children find it difficult to understand the concept of fostering - especially as usually there will be lots of children in and out your house. Also, your children would have to share you with other children. These are children who potentially may need a little extra 1-2-1 time and will need plenty of time and space to understand things. Also, there's a lot of transporting Foster Children to contacts with their family, which may make your children upset or jealous that you spend so much time with them

alot of people said 25 was the age to me, but EVERY single agency in my area and the council have said 21, strange must be an area thing x

I think a lot of information must be area based as some close family friends have fostered for over 6 years and they are able to change the age range they would like at any time. Currently they only take under 5s and that's their choice. They have 2 children of their own (3 & 12) and currently fostering a 2 year old.

yeah, i have heard nothing about age restrictions etc,seems to me you can decide on an age etc :) x

My mum was in foster care and after hearing all her experiences and my love of children I knew it was something I wanted to do in the future. What age do you think is ideal to be foster carers? Also is it best to wait until you have had children? What are the general requirements to become foster parents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->