Freaking out after sushi!

Nattimam

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I made a mistake and gave into my strong craving of sushi today, and now I am freaking out! I ate it at a good and reputable Japanese restaurant, but now that I got home I feel extremely guilty and paranoid that it might cause listeriosys. Should I go for a blood test tomorrow? :shrug: I don't know what to do now :(

Take a chill pill... Listeria is still very very uncommon and it's such a minor risk... Do u think Japanese women stop eatin sushi when pregnant?

Just relax I'm sure all is fine :)

I came home and swore I won't eat sushi or even my favorite ice cream (just read that it also may cause listeriosys) until after baby arrives :( I know it is rare but what scared me is that it is hard to diagnose

My dad works as a head person in health and food standards here in aus as his company needs to follow them all and get inspected quarterly ... I asked him about the rules and he said there are two things to avoid out of all of em...

Salamis (when not on pizza or cooked first) because they are usually sat in a deli cabinet and that's when the listeria can form and also the main one is soft cheeses...
That's the main one that causes harm...

Remember these are just guidelines and some countries don't even have em...
Don't beat yourself up and stop worrying coz it's only gonna make it worse...

I'm sure ur bub is fine and the fact u got it from a reputable place says a lot.. They have guidelines to stop these things happening too so the chances are like one in a million.

one roll had a bit of cream cheese in it, which is a soft cheese :( so that's why I a thinking it is a double chance of salmon + cheese. I am so dumb for doing this! :sad1:

I would not worry. Most likely you and baby r fine. Also I don't think cream cheese is really cheese anyway:)

one roll had a bit of cream cheese in it, which is a soft cheese :( so that's why I a thinking it is a double chance of salmon + cheese. I am so dumb for doing this! :sad1:

Salmon is usually smoked and cream cheese is pasteurized so both should be fine.

thank you for reassuring words ladies... still worried but it does make me feel slightly less paranoid hearing that it is highly unlikely. If you think of having sushi yourself one day, I can tell you the guilt after is so not worth it :(

If I had to count the amount of times I have had sushi and oysters and soft cheeses, during all three of my pregnancies, you would think I am the worst mother ever!! :p

Truth is , I LOVE sushi and have eaten through out my 3 pregnancies. This pregnancy I have craved oysters, like crazy!!!! and I love a good camembert!

You will be fine!!! and your baby too. :)

Mmmmmm sushi!! I love it :) Don't panic! The risk is so low! You are more likely to pick something up from your own fingers :)

Don't stress yourself, cream cheese is absolutely fine! If it was a reputable restaurant, then their produce was most likely very fresh.

I have eaten raw oysters, salami, cheese, smoked salmon etc.. occasionally throughout my pregnancy & baby is completely healthy & fine.

If you were eating it every day, then obviously your risk of exposing yourself to it would be higher, but on the very odd occasion, you will be ok :)

The risk with sushi is not listeria, it's a parasite in raw fish which may cause food poisoning, it won't harm the baby but it'll be a bit miserable for you. Even then, the risk is tiny so chances are its not worth a second thought!

Cream cheese is also fine, it's only mould ripened soft cheeses (ie. Brie, camembert etc) that there's an issue with x

You'll be fine. Relax! As long as the place wasn't filthy you're all good. Omg, I can't wait to have sushi. I'm going to make dh bring me some in hospital, nom nom nom!

The fish has often been frozen first which kills any bugs.

You will be absolutely fine. I'm a food scientist and do not pay one jot of attention to the all important 'rules' as most of them are completely false anyway.

Certainly don't be running to the doctor for a blood test, wasting time, in fact you likely wouldn't get one anyway you'd just be told to 'avoid'.

If you want sushi, eat sushi !

I eat sushi frequently, but only with avocado or cucumber in it. Avoiding the fish due to mercury content not the bacteria. Microbes are all over the darn place. You just can't be paranoid about it, it's useless. Make sure you take your vitamins and probiotics for a healthy immune system.

I've eaten sushi my entire pregnancy. If you go to an OB in a big city with lots of Asian cuisines, they even recommend to eat sushi because its high in omega 3.
In fact, all sushi sold in the US must be flash frozen before it is brought off the ship, killing all listeria.

My dr recommended sushi for the above mentioned reasons.... I love sushi. My cousin lived in Japan and had both her children there ate it all the time as well as some other exotic foods. Her children are just fine.

Doctors don't recommend eating sushi. I take Omega-3 supplements that are purified (metals removed). Countries that eat a lot of fish have a high rate of autism. Tuna is the worst. If you absolutely have to eat fish, then eat salmon.

Can you state your source? I couldn't find supporting evidence from a google search. From my research, the United States has the highest rate of autism with Utah being the State with the highest incidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->