Free Clothes + OHs Bad Attitude

horrorheart13

Reaction score
My best friend (since we were 2 years old) had a little boy last year and has literally hundreds of outfits that he barely wore from newborn (which he couldn't wear at all) all the way to 12 months. I visited her last week and left with a giant box of the most adorable brand-new looking baby clothes ever. She called me up today and has 3 more for me. Needless to say I was overjoyed! Free clothes = no money out of our pockets! I tell OH and all he says is "It's a waste of time" in the most uninterested voice ever. So I get all annoyed. The clothes are a huge range of newborn-12 months and in my opinion it's better to have more than enough than not enough clothes. But he seems to think having so much will be a hassle and that we won't use half of them. Which could very well be true but you never know. Then he tried to say they were "diseased" because they weren't off the rack brand new. She washed everything in baby-safe/environment-safe detergent before she even considered giving anything to me.

Sorry that was so long but I'm annoyed at his reaction to my friend's kindness. Am I overreacting and is he right? Or is he just being negative?

I don't think he's right at all. Free stuff is always good, and baby's grow out of their clothes so quickly there really is no need to buy all of it brand new if you don't have to!

That's what I thought! He was talking like the 3-6 month clothes were going to last forever and I kept telling him babies grow out of clothes so fast we'd barely be able to keep up if we had to buy it all ourselves!

I agree with you, babies grow so quickly!!! They'll be out of the 3-6 month old clothing before he knows it!!

there is nothing wrong with getting and using clothing second hand! a quick wash and they are good to go. And baby clothes at that...my friends w/ newborns and real little ones have outfits they use only once or twice before LO grows out of them! It's probably the same with the clothes you got, practically brand new, and free at that! You have a good friend there, lucky you!

Men usually like to save money if its not being spent on them! Use them and thank your kind friend. You know where they have come from . Tell your oh you really are lucky to have such a generous friend. Babies really do grow out of their clothes very very quickly!:dohh: MEN grumble , grumble !!!!!:hi:

Oh my gosh, ask him if he can afford to buy lots of clothes every month cause LO keeps outgrowing them! I WISH that someone I knew had a baby girl recently. Everyone I know had boys, and told me if I had a boy they'd give me their clothes, but I ended up with a girl.

Also, they came from your best friend, its not like you found the box on the street! Keep em, if he wants to buy his own for LO, let him.

I think its great of your friend to do that for you. Like everyone else has said, babies have these clothes on them a couple of times max, before they grow out of them. They´ve been washed and you know whose given them to you, so whats the problem?

Two of my best mates have had babies over the last year and have already started sorting out clothes for me that I can have.....bring it on is what I say.

When I was younger, I had a lot of hand me clothes throughout my childhood, and once I´d outgrown them, if they were still in good condition they were passed onto my younger cousin - its a normal thing to do!

Maybe your OH feels a bit put out that people think that he maybe can´t provide for his child - which is daft, but you know how men can be sometimes!

I've got baby clothes that my mother has given me. They used to be MY baby clothes!

Just ignore your man and clothe your baby in whatever you've got. And once you're done with the clothes I'm sure another pregnant mama will be thankful for them.

(Ps, it's good for the environment too!)

Quite a few of my friends had baby boys, and gave me loads of baby clothes. Saved me a fortune. There is absoultely nothing wrong with 2nd hand baby clothes, the rate babies grow nothing fits them for long anyway. Put the money you would of spent to better use.

What a lovely friend :D

I had a friend who offered this to me then charged me!

I also bought a bundle off Kim&Roo which was ACE then another of kx for 3-6 months again ACE! 2 buys I certainly do not regret buying as seconds. I have of course bought my own little purchases but if you have vests & grows etc in there then BONUS because you need loads and it all adds up.

What a twit your OH is ;) lol

Wow, I can't believe he'd have a problem with second-hand clothes. The passing down of baby and children clothes have been going on for generations and I've never truly heard of someone who would have a problem with it.

I think CK Too hit the nail on the head! Financially, it's a bit tough for you right now right? I remember you mentioning it. So I've a feeling that your OH doesn't think he's good provider or is worried that he won't be.

This is a man's natural emotion and worry, especially when his woman is pregnant.

Your friend was so kind to give you all the clothes! :hugs:

I agree with everyone.Babie outgrow their clothes pretty fast and it's very generous that your friend gave you this...
People have their kids wear second-hand clothes all the time,for example,if they have a second kid,they don't buy new clothes....
He should be thankful...

I don't think Charlie's got any new clothes!:blush:

Seriously, I bought bags of clothes about 8 months ago from a friends brother. They are ALL fantastic. We spent £70 and kitted Charlie out in clothes from 9 months up to 3 years! I wish I could get some for myself!:rofl:

Luckily, both my DH and Kayleigh are up for 2nd hand stuff - she's just had some bits from a friend as well!:happydance:

As someone else said - it's also good for the environment.:happydance:

I made the BIG MISTAKE of buying all new stuff for Noah. Bib's, babygro's vest's, hat's...all sorts and mainly in 0-3, 3-6! Ok, its nice to have a little new stuff cos its nice picking things out in the shop! I was given ton's as two off my friends have boys who are 9 months & 6 months older than Noah!

I had so much stuff from, gifts & what people had given me that most of it has never been worn cos they gro so fast! I've been sorting Noah's clothes out as we're moving soon and so far I've counted 4 pampers boxes and 3 large bin sacks and a huuuuggggeee suitcase full of clothes! Considering he's only 5 months I think thats a lot & thats not including any clothes that he wears now!

The next baby will be getting nothing (unless its a girl as we'll need something - 1 thing - pink!) as everything is new!

I think you should tell your OH since he doesn't want the clothes of your friend you'd like the money off him to go out and get new....take the money & go treat yourself to a manicure & peddicue & loadsa goodies!!

I think its good of your friend to give you the things!

OMG, is he mad !! I swear by second/third/even fourth hand baby clothes for the first year or so. Honestly, they wear things like, twice and then they're out of it. I've just got some cream/brown tedybear sleepsuits back of my sister. She'd used them for her baby girl. I used them for Ethan, before that my SIL used them for her son, and I originally bought them for my first son Lewis, who is 6 in May. They're still immaculate. And it's really nice to know that they've had really good use, and been worn by all the family.
I love getting bargains form Bootsales, and charity shops. Not to mention eBay.
I've always said, there is no excuse for a badly dressed child, as you can get gorgeous cheap, even free, clothes from so many places :) Just wait til he see's how often he's changing sicky tops and 'leaked nappy' baby grows, and he'll soon change his tune :rofl:

I agree with the other ladies, he's definately nuts!!:dohh:
I'm sure its just a male pride thing because my OH was exactly the same, but when I pointed out that having lots of second hand clothes ment we could spend our money on more expensive outfits and treats for LO he seems to have come round to the idea.

I think its great of your friend to do that for you. Like everyone else has said, babies have these clothes on them a couple of times max, before they grow out of them. They´ve been washed and you know whose given them to you, so whats the problem?

Two of my best mates have had babies over the last year and have already started sorting out clothes for me that I can have.....bring it on is what I say.

When I was younger, I had a lot of hand me clothes throughout my childhood, and once I´d outgrown them, if they were still in good condition they were passed onto my younger cousin - its a normal thing to do!

Maybe your OH feels a bit put out that people think that he maybe can´t provide for his child - which is daft, but you know how men can be sometimes!

I was thinking that might be part of it too. Hopefully he'll just be glad we have the clothes when LO starts going through them like crazy.

What a lovely friend :D

I had a friend who offered this to me then charged me!

I also bought a bundle off Kim&Roo which was ACE then another of kx for 3-6 months again ACE! 2 buys I certainly do not regret buying as seconds. I have of course bought my own little purchases but if you have vests & grows etc in there then BONUS because you need loads and it all adds up.

What a twit your OH is ;) lol

He is :rofl: I'm sure we'll get some new stuff for him, as you can never have enough socks and they're constantly getting lost and I'm sure some other things I'll want to get myself when we have the money but it really annoyed me to hear him complain about a kind gesture :dohh: It's almost like getting free money and him saying "it's dirty, what's the point?" or "we don't need it" when we clearly could use it.

I'm taking everything I can get!! I think I might be going a little far though, my sister works in a nursery and they get donations for the spare clothes box and shes going to sort through that for some nice stuff!! Well, it'll only last 5 minutes and is so expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->