Free NHS formula milk stopped!

ok i havnt read all of these posts but why would they give u free formula it didnt even cross my mind not to take formula in cause they would provide it? i do understand some ones view they feed 'me' the mum so why not provide food for the baby but i thought it was something you poped in your bag as a just incase''??
perhaps thats me... i plan to breastfeed as much as i can but will have a FF there just incase ive seen the most didiest glass bottles ready made in boots which i will pop into my hospital bag if i cant BF im assuming ur milk sometimes doesnt come on demand my cousins took a couple of days...

i have an open mind and have only just decided im going to BF i was going to FF but i will try my best...
this is in no way saying FF is not good cause u 'the mum' can only decide how u want to feed your baby and neither is wrong!
I dont think the nurses and midwifes have taken this upon them selfs so are not degrading thoes who cant or dont want to BF its the goverment and cut backs!

Oh sorry, i forgot we aren't allowed an opinion unless it directly concerns us. I'll need to remember that next time I hear a child abuse case being discussed and not give a shit cos it doesnt affect me or my family.

:roll:

why are people who choose to bf coming in to say how right they think it all is when it clearly doesn't concern them at all.

Why do people assume people who choose to breastfeed haven't used formula before?

But I agree, I can't stand this "oh you cant advertise formula" business, it's really pathetic and causes a lack of knowledge on how to safely make up bottles

Still don't understand those who are so determined to to take formula in though. :shrug: Its to do with cutbacks

It just depends on your area. I got leaflets for both BF (a booklet) and a pamphlet on how to make up bottles.

None of the midwifes or classes where allowed to taokl to about bottle feeding here however i went on a young mums course and they showed us how to make up bottles, how to clean them etc although to be fair the formula comes with intrsuctions, the steriliser comes with intsructions and so do the bottles.

It just depends on your area. I got leaflets for both BF (a booklet) and a pamphlet on how to make up bottles.

Did you? I get bugger all :rofl: I stood in NICU with the steriliser thinking "errrrr..... help" :dohh: :haha:

This shouldnt be another argument on bf/ff!!

It is just that hospitals are stopping providing formula in most cases.

I think its fantastic - what a waste of money!

We are responsible for feeding/clothing our own babies so nobody should be providing anything for us!!!

If you have decided on ff or bf whatever - you make sure you have all that you need to look after your baby.

And if you are someone who gets tokens/vouchers for milk then fantastic, use the vouchers and bring in the milk you want to use.:flower:

Did you? I get bugger all :rofl: I stood in NICU with the steriliser thinking "errrrr..... help" :dohh: :haha:

yeah. it was maybe because she was prem cos i got them from my antenatal appointment, not at the hospital. indyandlara got the FF info too.

i think its fair and a pretty good way to encourage mums to try for a bit longer to bf before they go to bottle..obviously you would think they would have some emergency formula around incase there is a problem actually preventing bf like tongue tie..my daughter was severely dehydrated with high temps in hospital cos i lost a lot of blood at delivery and had absoloutly NO milk and even after she went to nursery i dont think they gave her formula they bought in two pumps for me and got me pumping around the clock and i ended up succesfully bf til i was ready to stop at 6months and that resistance helped me stick with it =)

why are people who choose to bf coming in to say how right they think it all is when it clearly doesn't concern them at all.

Why do people assume people who choose to breastfeed haven't used formula before?

But I agree, I can't stand this "oh you cant advertise formula" business, it's really pathetic and causes a lack of knowledge on how to safely make up bottles

Still don't understand those who are so determined to to take formula in though. :shrug: Its to do with cutbacks

I agree I think if the plan from the get go is to ff then why not be prepared.I've bought the bottles knowing that I would rather use them on my own rather than having to ask and if all goes smoothly u shouldn't need many of the bottles till u go home when u will have the formula bought anyway and I think they will come in handy if going out and about aswell....I think....literally I'm clueless and petrified I won't even know how to use them lol xx

i wouldnt take ur MW's word for it on what you can take to hospital with you contact the hospital directly , when they gave my son formula in hospital the bottle they used had a Cow &Gate logo so this was clearly " advertising" if anyone had seen it but imo it shouldnt matter if your providing the milk then they cant make any fuss,

i actually had to teach a Mother of 7! how to bottle feed her newborn daughter when in hospital after having ds2 caus the MW's wouldnt and didnt have much time to either tbf, but this woman had no idea how to change nappies or give a bottle even a premade one ! because she had her mother and aunties as live-in nannies for all her other children to care for them and not had to do anything for herself! and apparently when she was in hospital ( not in the UK ) with her other children they let her mum be there to do it all or the babies were in the nusery and only came to the mums bedside for visiting hours!

there needs to be education for mothers on how to feed their babies no matter what way they choose to do that and if cutting free formula allows that to happen then im all for it

My point was never about the 'free milk', It was about bottle feeding in general, but no one can deny that in hospital if you have to/choose to Bottle feed you ARE degraded by the Nurses and Midwives!!!! THAT WAS MY POINT! And unless you have been made to feel that way(as I have) then you wouldn't understand that feeling of Failure and being a pathetic waste of space! THAT IS WHAT'S GOT TO STOP....

im sorry but that is ridiculous. iv worked on a maternity ward and iv never seen any woman 'degraded' because she chose to bottle feed. i understand that theres the odd 1 or 2 who end up saying the wrong things and come across as judgemental, but the vast majority of midwives are not like that.

its our job to promote breastfeeding, so we do, end of. we are not allowed an opinion either way, we just give the correct information so you can make an informed choice.

IMO i think women who choose to formula feed hear stories like these and are immediately on the defensive when they go into hospital. that plus hormones makes an innocent comment seem like a insult. again, i know thats not always the case.

you made that choice to feed your baby that way, so why feel like a failure when you know you have made the best choice for you and your baby??? thats the way i look at it, if someone has a go at me for breastfeeding, im not going to feel like a failure, i ll just be pissed off they are judging me without knowing the full story :S

To be honest, I dont remember seeing any thing pro BF or anything regarding FF at my hospitals. The midwife's were neutral and no posters lol x

I work on a maternity ward and we still give out milk. None of the midwives I work with are judgemental, the way we see it your baby your choice and our motto is happy mummy equals happy baby. I understand some women do have bad experiences but a majority don't. I have never seen anyone be judged for bottle feeding their baby. We always support mothers no matter what. I hope first time mums to be won't read this thread and automatically feel like this is how everyone gets treated because it isn't. X x

I work on a maternity ward and we still give out milk. None of the midwives I work with are judgemental, the way we see it your baby your choice and our motto is happy mummy equals happy baby. I understand some women do have bad experiences but a majority don't. I have never seen anyone be judged for bottle feeding their baby. We always support mothers no matter what. I hope first time mums to be won't read this thread and automatically feel like this is how everyone gets treated because it isn't. X x

Thank you for posting this as I am going to be a first timer and I already had it in my head that mws would b rude and judgemental towards me for my choice at hospital due to the stories I have read,it's really nice to hear this xx

My point was never about the 'free milk', It was about bottle feeding in general, but no one can deny that in hospital if you have to/choose to Bottle feed you ARE degraded by the Nurses and Midwives!!!! THAT WAS MY POINT! And unless you have been made to feel that way(as I have) then you wouldn't understand that feeling of Failure and being a pathetic waste of space! THAT IS WHAT'S GOT TO STOP....

im sorry but that is ridiculous. iv worked on a maternity ward and iv never seen any woman 'degraded' because she chose to bottle feed. i understand that theres the odd 1 or 2 who end up saying the wrong things and come across as judgemental, but the vast majority of midwives are not like that.

its our job to promote breastfeeding, so we do, end of. we are not allowed an opinion either way, we just give the correct information so you can make an informed choice.

IMO i think women who choose to formula feed hear stories like these and are immediately on the defensive when they go into hospital. that plus hormones makes an innocent comment seem like a insult. again, i know thats not always the case.

you made that choice to feed your baby that way, so why feel like a failure when you know you have made the best choice for you and your baby??? thats the way i look at it, if someone has a go at me for breastfeeding, im not going to feel like a failure, i ll just be pissed off they are judging me without knowing the full story :S

Why is my experience ridiculous? Just because you have never 'seen' any woman put down doesnt mean it doesnt happen does it?! I was told by 2 midwives on my ward that I was pathetic waste of time and that my child will end up poorly and that I dont care about him and that I may as well be feeding him crap cos of the fact I 'HAD' to bottle feed. They offered no help or support for me in having to bottle feed him... I mean How the feck are they able to get away with saying/doing that??? I am a type 1 diabetic and 'COULD NOT' breastfeed, I tried for 2 days going into a hypo every single type and putting my life and my babies life a risk...So excuse me for being ridiculous and pissed off by the whole NHS service!!! But that is 'MY' experience. In fact the whole thing just upsets me so much!

Thank you for posting this as I am going to be a first timer and I already had it in my head that mws would b rude and judgemental towards me for my choice at hospital due to the stories I have read,it's really nice to hear this xx

I also feel like this sometimes. I am pregnant with our first and will be having c section and would like to BF but am a little worried about how it will work out due to having c section and spoke to quite a few who wanted to bf but baby wouldnt latch and/or wasnt getting any milk from mum. I am going to take some pre made bottles into hospital with me.

xx

Not at all. Even midwives formula feed sometimes. I see women beating themselves up about formula feeding and how people will judge them and it really isn't like that at all. At our hospital you also get leaflets depending how your feeding which explain sterilising and how to make up and store bottles safely. Women need to stop judging themselves and others over feeding, you know what suits you so go for it. Having a baby is difficult enough without putting pressure on yourself to please others. X x

When Emma was 4 months old we were at a big event which was attended by many midwives. On the 1st evening at dinner, all the MW at ourtable told DH and I that they were really impressed I was still EBF. They then went on to have a conversation where they were all in agreement that they themselves would not have EBF to 6 months asthe recommendations are now and that they really respect anyone who does. Now at that event there were lots of mums who were FF and there was no looking down their noses at them.

Sometimes we can see slights and insults when they are not really there, especially if we feel sensitive about something ourselves. It can be that if you are expecting someone to be critical they often manage to live down to our expectations. It is always worth remembering that criticism comes on both sides of feeding. People have digs at BFers like you would not believe. When people used to say things like, 'Are you still BF?' I would just say, 'Yip that is right' and that usually shut them up. If they were daft enough to keep on commenting I would say 'Works for us so sticking with it'. These kinds of answers work well for both sides. It is none of their business so why get into a discussion about it? Don't let someone do you down- the early days are exhausting so it is easy to take everything to heart but one thing you learn quickly is that you need to develop a thick skin.

my midwife was lovely, they do baby's 1st feed and she was excited to have a good nurse of her while i was getting checked over post op. i have experienced only positive things about midwives and bottle feeding, i didn't even attempt it last time as i found it all very overwhelming, and this time as i have decided to give breastfeeding a try, it's no different, i have made a choice and am being supported, it's not like they are treating me any better than last time and even have made a few comments like, if you only get a dribble of colostrum in baby, thats a good start.

i understand people have had negative experiences, but i agree that you are very vunerable when you are giving birth, and i was totally dismayed that the nurse offered to take my baby away for an hour to let me get some rest, at 2am i was phoning my husband saying i'd be called a bad mother, when no such thing had happened, i woke up 4 hours later to baby sleeping soundly beside me and could have kissed the midwife. at the time, i was totally distraught and felt i was being branded a bad mum, so not the case at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->