Free Standing Birth Center Birthers & Hopefuls

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
I was just curious as to how many of us are planning on birthing at a free standing birth center (NOT a hospital birth center) with MWs? I am intending on birthing at a FSBC with this beany. I love the community that the homebirth hopefuls have going and it would be amazing to have that similar community with those who are choosing to birth at a FSBC :friends: It's tough to really fit in, because we def. are WAY different than hospital birthers, but we are also different than HB birthers. FBCB is like the half way point and i would love to create this type of community as well :flower:

:dance:FSBC Achievers:dance:

aimee-lou success
Mum2b_Claire success
chuck transfer

?
rosie5637 sucesess

:flow:FSBC Hopefuls:flow:

October 2011

5th
jcg0506 :blue:

December 2011

23rd
cahgirl87 :blue:

February 2012

14th
navywife86 :pink:

23rd
Guppy051708 :blue:

March 2012

14th
rosie5637 :yellow:

28th
amjon :yellow:

May 2012

15th
lizzywiz :yellow:

19th
modo :yellow:

25th
LittleOnes :yellow:

Personally, I am birthing at a FSBC because my insurance REFUSES to cover a HB :growlmad:(I live in the States). They will cover a FSBC MW though, and since we can't afford to pay a MW privatly (on top of private health insurance premiums/deductables/coinsurance) our next best option is the FSBC. So thats our personal reason. :thumbup:

im hoping for a HB with a MW or 2 lol got to convince the consultant that i can birth a big baby without problems though

also hoping for a homebirth, but everyones been really supportive, its terrible how much itl cost to just have ur baby at home when years ago it was the done thing, and the cheapest! so thats a shame for u but i supose as lng as mum and baby are healthy then thats what matters

Thanks hun!
Yeah, do you guys even have FSBC over there? I wasn't sure since its so much easier to have a HB overseas than it is here.
I am happy with the FSBC, just stinks i have to drive one hour to get there, but thats okay, beats another hospital birth! haha

FSBC for me, but I am getting a lot of flack about it from insurance people (who go back and forth regarding coverage) and friends and family. Everyone is shoving, "What if something goes wrong," down my throat.
It is kind of a bummer for a first time mom, you know?

FSBC for me, but I am getting a lot of flack about it from insurance people (who go back and forth regarding coverage) and friends and family. Everyone is shoving, "What if something goes wrong," down my throat.
It is kind of a bummer for a first time mom, you know?

totally get this! i had friends, very misinformed!!! friends, ask, well "what do you do if you need a c-section? the OB just meets you at the birth center?" :dohh: omg! erm...no haha derr! lol i would transfer to the hospital and plus most ppl dont realize that when a transfer is needed you usually have tt a ime to think it through. generally its not a life or death situation...and you do have to meet certain critera like be low risk, and x amount of min from a hospital....if America didn't do all the crazy hospital intervention in the first place less than 5% of women would end up in a section :dohh: ugh, anyways girl, we have to stick together!!! you can do it hun!

do you have a journal or anything? would love to follow!!!

oh, no journal. But I will be hanging out in Home and Natural Birthing, so we'll be in touch!

Interesting thing about my FSBC is that it is outpatient- you go home approximately 4-8 hours after birth. Is yours the same?

oh, no journal. But I will be hanging out in Home and Natural Birthing, so we'll be in touch!

Interesting thing about my FSBC is that it is outpatient- you go home approximately 4-8 hours after birth. Is yours the same?

Cool! See ya around friend :wave:

mine is 2-12 hours after the birth. basically it seemed like you could decide, dependent on med issues or not.
i am so excited about this because the hospital i birthed DS in was very strict and even though i knew i technically had the right to leave, they made that pretty tough, especially given that i didn't feel like putting up a fight after that long of a labor! So i was taken advantage of...big time :( but this time, no worries :) its basically up to me when i want to go home :)
Then they do postpartum (PP) visits in your home at 1 day PP, 3 day PP, 5 day PP, one week PP, and 2 weeks PP, then of course you go back to their center at 6 weeks PP

I'll be going to a birthing center. It is about 30 minutes from me, so not too bad.

Hopefully a homebirth for me :)

Is a FSBC the equivalent of a private birth centre over here in the UK? I haven't heard of one before.

Is a FSBC the equivalent of a private birth centre over here in the UK? I haven't heard of one before.

It's a more home like environment for birthing. The one I am going to used to be a house and has bedrooms and regular beds along with a regular home bathroom. They also have room with the birthing pool. The "waiting room" is a living room. They only have 2 rooms.

It's a more home like environment for birthing. The one I am going to used to be a house and has bedrooms and regular beds along with a regular home bathroom. They also have room with the birthing pool. The "waiting room" is a living room. They only have 2 rooms.

Basically this.
Here is the link to my birth center. To me, it practically looks like a house! its almost like a "crunchy MWs" house ;) except its not a house at all :thumbup:

there are birth centers in the hospital but basically they are hospital births, not the same as a FSBC at all :nope:

https://www.concordbirthcenter.com/

I'll be going to a birthing center. It is about 30 minutes from me, so not too bad.

Awesome!
Are you in the US?
I know FSBC have gone down the drain since hospital births became "the norm". I think i read somewhere there are less than 120 left in the USA....thats sad...its amazing to see how insurance companys and OBs have all of the power here :( Also, less than 1% of all US births are out of the hospital and of that 1% its mostly HB....a sad state of affairs :( but anywho rant over haha, so glad to have this as an option since HB is not per insurance :D

Awesome!
Are you in the US?
I know FSBC have gone down the drain since hospital births became "the norm". I think i read somewhere there are less than 120 left in the USA....thats sad...its amazing to see how insurance companys and OBs have all of the power here :( Also, less than 1% of all US births are out of the hospital and of that 1% its mostly HB....a sad state of affairs :( but anywho rant over haha, so glad to have this as an option since HB is not per insurance :D

Yes, I'm in Florida. I think the one I am going to is the only one in the Central Florida area. I think there may be on in Miami, but not many in the state.

so glad you are able to go! we have quite a few here in New Hampshire (this is where midwifery was founded in the state, so thats probably why), but the issue i had is our insurance would only cover 2 of the FSBC. Then the one was 1.5 hr drive and those MWs refused to take me on bc of the drive :dohh: so that left this other one. It is a one hr drive but i am happy to have it as an option, so i'll take the one hour drive...sorta nervous about driving during labor...whats your plan of action? My water broke last time, sorta hoping the same goes this time so that i have a warning :haha: but since i am at the FSBC with trustworthy MWs and i am an hr drive away, im not worried if i go in too early since no intervention to worry about....but still not sure when to go...when do you think youll leave for it?

so glad you are able to go! we have quite a few here in New Hampshire (this is where midwifery was founded in the state, so thats probably why), but the issue i had is our insurance would only cover 2 of the FSBC. Then the one was 1.5 hr drive and those MWs refused to take me on bc of the drive :dohh: so that left this other one. It is a one hr drive but i am happy to have it as an option, so i'll take the one hour drive...sorta nervous about driving during labor...whats your plan of action? My water broke last time, sorta hoping the same goes this time so that i have a warning :haha: but since i am at the FSBC with trustworthy MWs and i am an hr drive away, im not worried if i go in too early since no intervention to worry about....but still not sure when to go...when do you think youll leave for it?

I'll either have OH (if he's home then) drive me or I have friends I can call that will drive me there. I will probably go kind of early, since I don't know how long I will be in labor since it's my first. I know they won't do anything I don't want (unless an emergency of course) so I don't have to worry about that either.

thats what i was thinking...i had a hospital water birth with my first and totally had to fight the system, but i was thinking just yesterday how much better this is going to be. I wont have to fight anything, i will actually KNOW who my providers are and trust them (as opposed to getting random nurses and whatever doc is on call), i wont have to worry about being hooked up to monitors the minute i walk in the door, it will be so nice. it will be like a homebirth away from home. :D So nice not to have to worry about fighting anything!

I really want to go to a private birth centre but the one I am looking into seems impossible to get a hold of :( The website is down and the phone number doesn't work :(

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...pw.&fp=fe891ec504028e7&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=608

I will be delivering at a birthing center here in Austin. They have two locations and there's another one about 30 min. north of here, so I think its a growing trend in our area, but then again Austin is the hippyville of Texas. I'm only about 25 min. away. Its very nice place with beautiful rooms and big tubs in each. They also have a clinic where we do all our prenatals. So far my insurance hasn't been much of a problem, but they don't cover as much of the cost, so even though its overall a much cheaper birth, we will still pay out of pocket about the same as a hospital birth. Its still crazy that most will cover unnecessary inductions and c-sections but put up a fight about home births and birthing centers. If insurance companies weren't such a problem, I think more women would choose this option.

We do have birth centres in the uk but they are few and far between. I managed to have my first in one and it was brilliant. It was like having a home birth without the mess to clean up and a hot meal cooked for me afterwards! :haha:

We've moved house and my health has changed since having my first, but I have just been told the local hospital has just had a midwide led birthing unit opened next to the delivery ward, so I'm hoping they will give me a chance for a repeat performance this time, if all goes well. :thumbup: Fingers crossed for a healthy next few months for us all. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->