Freecycle?

Minxy

Reaction score
After seeing it mentioned on here, I went to check this out and think it's a fab idea.

I've already got (potentially) got rid of our old toaster, kettle and juicer :)

OH is really sceptical though, He reckons it'll be all drug addicts after stuff to sell on and traders. And he won't let anyone come the house.

I agree the system is open to abuse, but hope lots of genuine people (like me :D ) use it too.

What do you think?

https://www.freecycle.org/

I've been using freecycle for months and its great, i've got kids clothes, a highchair, and boots from it and also got rid of some stuff.
They are mainly genuine people and you can put on your ad 'no traders'

Its fine. just choose who you give stuff too.

What is it exactly? :?

I should mention that freecycle is actually no more. Although the website is still there the owners sold it out. Alot of the UK yahoo groups got closed down, the Glasgow one was almost closed down but the owners changed its name to Freeshare and managed to save ours.

It is a great idea and whilst it can be abused it can also be great for those who are genuine. Ive found on the Glasgow one alot of people have good instinct on who are car booters and not to give to those people.
I have given quite alot over freeshare and have gotten quite a few items back that ive needed or spotted and fancied giving a home too.

KX: its where you have an item that is too good to throw out, or you dont need anymore and you give it to somebody who needs it, saves space at the landfill and saves a needy person some money.

We've still got Freecycle here Arcanegirl. :? I use it regularly.

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/leicestershire-freecycle/

I've got rid of loads of stuff that couldn't be resold, but was no good to me. Things like 3 pairs worn work trousers, a pile of bricks, a broken lamp, 2 saucepans from a set of 3, all the boxes from when we moved house. This would all have had to be taken to the tip, but some kind people came and took it from me! :D

I've also got some great stuff as well - a carrier bag of teenage paperbacks for Kayleigh, a car vaccuum, a fireplace surround, some hair straighteners.

As long as you are careful about who you give stuff to, it's great. I offered a Tommee Tippee electric steriliser a couple of weeks ago (I had switched to closer to nature bottles and they didn't fit), and gave it to a lovely couple. They were both on their second marriage - he had 3 teenage boys, she had teenage 2 boys, and their first baby together (also a boy) is due in February! They are all living in a 2 bedroom house and all their money is going on building an extension. So while they were here, I sorted out some baby clothes and blankets that I will never use for the next one, and they were so greatful. It felt lovely to be able to help someone.

And I always make sure that DH is home when I arrange for people to collect stuff from me.

Amanda said:
And I always make sure that DH is home when I arrange for people to collect stuff from me.

That's a great tip, thanks! :D

Its quite confusing cause all the links are still up for all the groups but i know when you join the Glasgow one you will get sent a message with a link saying to go to it as they moved.

Definatley a good idea to have someone in with you when stuff gets picked up. I had an incident with a guy who tried chatting me up and inviting me out to coffee (he was at least 60!) his general behaviour made me feel really uncomfortable, ive blocked all his emaill addys (he had 4 different ones he contacted me with) and reported him to teh admins.

Freecycle is non profit making and is still going from strength to strength.

ther has been no news of it closing down?

Our gloucestershire group was closed but only to be split in in to smaller groups as it had got too big, so it has been split into 4 areas of gloucestershire.

Are you sure thats not what happened in your area?

Confused now, we got a few messages from our admin about the closure and move to a new group.

It still operates under the freecycle principles jsut its called freeshare instead

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/glasgowfreecycle/messages

I cant get my email verified, i click the verify your email button but nothing comes through. Ill try again in the morning.
As far as i know that group is now inactive as everyone is at the one im at...

hypnorm said:
Our gloucestershire group was closed but only to be split in in to smaller groups as it had got too big, so it has been split into 4 areas of gloucestershire.

Ours was as well Hypnorm. It was split into smaller groups for different parts of Leicestershire.

I've been signed up a couple of weeks an I'm getting bombed with emails :lol: Not sure I get it - The lay out etc :?

you can set it so you only get a daily digest of all the emails. rather than get afew hundred individual ones

I advertised for some Enid Blyton books as I loved them as a child and wanted to read some to Stanley.

I've just picked up 36 from Dudley, and they're the old kind I used to have too.

I'm so happy! :)

I've a TV to go on now so all good - Glad I signed up because we dunno what to do with it :lol:

Wobbles - did you sort out the email thing? I used to get bombarded, but then set it up so I just receive the digest. I get 1-4 emails a day now, and if I want to check anything in particular, I just log onto the actual site and read the posts.

No tbh but I just click beside the emails now an send them to another folder :lol:

Not so bad this - Even for getting rid of stuff!

Got rid of my old grubby TV on there an I had a glass an silver desk in the shed which tbh wouldn't come with us when we moved so thats being collected tomorrow from a *wanted* add :D

I know I will use this before we move more as I've just got heaps of crap in the shed like monitors - Bulky things :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->