Freezing expressed milk.

WW1

Mum to a little lady x
Reaction score
Hi. My sister is BF 9 week old twins. She is starting to express and asked me about the best way to freeze it. I expressed a while ago but never had enough to freeze so I didn't know the answer! Can you please help answer the following?

1. Are there special storage containers / bags you need?
2. How long can it be frozen for?
3. Do you bring it back to warm by putting in warm water (as you would with a chilled bottle) or is there a better way?
4. Can you store separately expressed milk together or is it better to store every part separately?
5. How long can it stay in the fridge without having been frozen?

Any advice for my sis will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance x

I will try this methodically lol

1. You only need a container that can be sterilized and frozen. Glass jars, plastic cups with lid, but I use the breast milk bags. Very easy to use and store if you lay the bag on its side to freeze, you end up with a sheet of frozen milk. You can also write the date and amount on the bag.

2. Frozen milk is good for around 3-6 months in a fridge freezer, and 6-12 months in a deep freeze. I think there are great resources on KellyMom.com.

Here is the link: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

3. To thaw, you can put it in the fridge overnight, or run it under cool, then gradually increase the temperature. My favorite way to thaw milk is to put the bag in a bowl of cool water in the fridge. Much quicker thaw than just on the shelf. Thawed milk is good for 24 hours only.

4. I usually stay away from combining milk from separate pump sessions because I don't like storing large amounts together and risk wasting milk. But you can combine them if they were pumped within about 12 hours of each other, once they are the same temperature.

5. Differing opinions here, but I err on the side of caution and use it within 2 days.

Expressing for twins would be tough, hope she can find something that works for her!

Thank you so much. Your reply is much appreciated! I'll pass the advice on.

Thank you sheldonsmommy, I had the same question Re: freezing and thawing :hugs: :flower:

1. Are there special storage containers / bags you need?

Anything that's sterile and sealable. I use the bags because I usually have a lot of milk to freeze.

2. How long can it be frozen for?

3-6 months in a freezer and up to a year in a deep freeze.

3. Do you bring it back to warm by putting in warm water (as you would with a chilled bottle) or is there a better way?

We have taken frozen milk and thawed it by putting it in the warmer, but it was kind of an emergency situation and I wouldn't personally recommend it. We let it dethaw in the fridge overnight, but in my experience it usually takes a good 2 days to dethaw in fridge completely.

4. Can you store separately expressed milk together or is it better to store every part separately?

All breastmilk can be combined, no matter what the date, just make sure you swirl or roll the milk to combine it well (never shake breastmilk) to make sure there is an equal amount of fat dispersed throughout the milk.

5. How long can it stay in the fridge without having been frozen?

Freshly pumped breastmilk can stay good in the fridge for up to 4 days. However, milk that was once frozen and has been dethawed is only good for 24 hours, even if it's in the fridge.

Fresh breast milk can sit out at room temperature for up to 4 hours, but never let frozen or refrigerated milk sit out at room temperature for more than an hour. Good luck to your sis!

All breastmilk can be combined, no matter what the date, just make sure you swirl or roll the milk to combine it well (never shake breastmilk) to make sure there is an equal amount of fat dispersed throughout the milk.

Fresh breast milk can sit out at room temperature for up to 4 hours, but never let frozen or refrigerated milk sit out at room temperature for more than an hour.

Oh wow I did not know that I am not supposed to shake milk! Just read more about this at https://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm
I refrigerate milk for my mom to use to feed the baby during the day. As I refrigerate in big bottles to be dispensed in smaller bottles before the feed, there is a lot of fat that accumulates at the top of the walls which is difficult to combine with the rest of the milk, and shaking helps combine it. So I guess I should instead scrape this off the walls and stir the milk instead to help it combine?

Also, I didn't know refrigerated milk was not supposed to sit out at room temperature for over an hour.. I thought it was 6 hours as advised with freshly expressed milk?

Many thanks in advance! :hugs: :flower:

Fresh breast milk can sit out at room temperature for up to 4 hours, but never let frozen or refrigerated milk sit out at room temperature for more than an hour.

Oh wow I did not know that I am not supposed to shake milk! Just read more about this at https://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm
I refrigerate milk for my mom to use to feed the baby during the day. As I refrigerate in big bottles to be dispensed in smaller bottles before the feed, there is a lot of fat that accumulates at the top of the walls which is difficult to combine with the rest of the milk, and shaking helps combine it. So I guess I should instead scrape this off the walls and stir the milk instead to help it combine?

Also, I didn't know refrigerated milk was not supposed to sit out at room temperature for over an hour.. I thought it was 6 hours as advised with freshly expressed milk?

Many thanks in advance! :hugs: :flower:

When there's fat collections at the top of the milk, I sometimes scrape it off and transfer it to his bottle. Sometimes I will even scoop it onto my finger and directly feed him some while his bottle is warming. :p But never shake. :)

Fresh milk that has not been refrigerated it good for up to 6 hours at room temperature. If fresh milk has been refrigerated it shouldn't sit out at room temperature for long.

When there's fat collections at the top of the milk, I sometimes scrape it off and transfer it to his bottle. Sometimes I will even scoop it onto my finger and directly feed him some while his bottle is warming. :p But never shake. :)

Fresh milk that has not been refrigerated it good for up to 6 hours at room temperature. If fresh milk has been refrigerated it shouldn't sit out at room temperature for long.

Great idea thank you!!

Also thank you for clarifying on the time refrigerated milk can sit out at room temperature!! :hugs::flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->