fresh or not

dizzyisacow

wife,mother & myself
Reaction score
i have started fruit and my pediatrician said i should get fresh and mash them but others have told me their doc told them its better to get the ready ones. is there a big difference? is it because the fresh has more vitamins?

Some say the ready made ones are put together quicker so the fruit is fresher and retains it's vitamins, others say totally fresh and doing it yourself is best. I choose to do it myself but I can't imagine it makes a huge difference. This way I get to make exactly what I want the way I want it. At the moment I have apple, pear and blackberries bubbling away in some breastmilk :thumbup:

Baby food has beeen around forever, so if there was a lack of nutrients in it, there's no way it'd still be selling!
Do what's easiest for you. If you have the time to do fresh fruit and mash it, then go for it! But if you don't have the time, just use the jarred.

The only difference I find is that my LO doesn't really like some of the fruits in the jars because they have lemon juice added to keep them from browning. He likes fresh stuff more!

not sure how old your baby is... but in the beginning I just did jar fruits because it was too hard to prepare them fresh and I think preparing and freezing them kind of kills off alot of nutrients anyways...

Now they she is eating finger foods she gets all fresh fruits etc.

Apparently the jarred fruit all tastes the same, whereas with fresh there's natural variation in flavour. Feeding fresh stuff gets LO used to different flavours.

hi thanks for the replies! i prefer the jarred because he eats them! i made an apple and it tasted like water and was runny.. i just cant do it right!

Some fruits and veg are easier than others. We've made a few kinds, and peas are always horrible, so we always give him jarred peas. But we found squash was awesome, turned out perfectly.

Someone told me that for apples, instead of getting the jarred baby food, just go to the grocery section and get Unsweetened Applesauce. Should just have apples and water, or apples and asorbic acid (usually lemon juice) and that works! That's how we do apples for our LO. Cheaper too!

We do both,but i never buy fresh fruit thats not in the season.

If you are no good at purees then get soft fruits like mangos and bananas that are easy to squish/blend and when they are older they can eat them as finger foods. Finn loves his mango :D he also gets fruit pots that he likes, for when you are out and about they are great!

We only use jars or pots if we are out. Ellis loves banana which takes seconds to prepare as well as Apple, Pear and Peach. I understand that Papaya is a very good fruit as it mashes like Banana which a mild taste but I've yet to find a supermarket with some in stock!

I do a mix of both so somedays he has all fresh prepared by me food and other days he will get a side helping of fresh fruit/veg along with a jarred meal....I do find the fresh home made ones have a clearer taste to them while some jars are a little samey no matter what it's supposed to be.

I always do jarred fruits, she only has banana fresh.. she hates the fruit I've made and frozen or pureed and given her?

They say frozen fruit is the way to go if you are concerned about nutrient content - better than fresh. It is picked at the height of ripeness and frozen ASAP. :)

we use both

bananas pears and mango i do fresh

she has apple and pear jars & berry yogart jars mainly wen we are out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->