Friends baby born first- but name we have is too similar?

Hope115

Cautiously Expecting
Reaction score
So we have had our babys name picked out since like 8-9 weeks Canon Joseph- we love the first name because its different and the middle name is after my DH and his fathers middle name.

My friends baby was born today and they announced his name.... Conner Joseph!!! Ugh- my stomach turned a bit- can we still call our baby Canon Joseph with the name so similar- we have been calling him by his name for ages now :(

After the initial naming of the baby you very rarely use the middle name (well from my experience) and I wouldn't say Canon and Connor sound too similar, clearly very different names with different backgrounds :flower:

Did they know you had that name picked out?
Personally, if that's the name ya'll have had picked out then I would stick with it! Especially if it's one that you just love and a name that relates to family.
btw. Canon Joseph is so ADORABLE!!!! :flower:

I really don't see a problem with it at all. Middle names aren't normally used on a regular basis, and plus it's a family name. I wouldn't worry about it, and would definitely still use it. By the way, I think it's a really cute name! :flower:

Awww Canon is such a sweet name!
Personally I wouldn't worry - you may not be friends with this person forever, where as you will be the mother of your baby forever, therefore that is more important! And if she is a friend, she will just understand that Joseph is a family name.
Canon and Connor are not too similar.
Congratulations on deciding on a name!
Xxx

Similar happened to us last time I loved the name xaiden (pro zadin) any way my sister in law name her little boy Braydon and a close from kaiden all with in weeks I was gutted I really wanted the x name cos my other boys an x, but In the end we changed our minds
I personally don't think canon and Connor are too similar also in my case if depends on how much time yr spending with them in my case it's loads :)

No its a nice name, they might look similar written but they dont sound the same and like someone else said you'll only really use their first names anyway :) and as the middle name means something to you, I'd still go ahead and name him canon joseph :) x

I agree with the others, the first names aren't too similar and the middle name is unique to you guys, there's no reason you would have to change!

We've had a girl's name picked out for more than a year (Juliet) and in January (before we were even pregnant) close friends of ours had a baby named "Julia." DH and I had several talks because I was afraid it would be too similar (our name is a secret though so no one else knows we like it) and we see our friends and their DD really often, and I didn't want them to be offended.

Eventually though, I'm really attached to the name, so we just decided we'd go with it (if we have a girl). I'm sure our friends will understand and the names ARE different. Now though, one of DH's best friends is also expecting their second and they're due the day after we are! If we both have girls it may be a race to see who has theirs first and thus gets to announce their name first :winkwink:

If you like the name, go with it!

Of course you can. My SIL always said if she had a girl she would call her Rebecca, her best friend had a daughter and called her Rebecca, 2 years later my SIL had her girl and still called her Rebecca :) I thought it was odd ay the time but she was happy. That was 13 years ago and they are still best friends!

Thanks everyone- im def beyound attached to the name- so we will see what DH says when he gets home from work.

I don't think Canon and Connor sound alike hun, I think it would be just fine! The name Canon is super cute btw, love it. I say go for it! I can tell you really love the name.

I love the name and like PP's said, after the initial announcement nobody uses middle names.

I used to love the name Kaitlyn and always thought I would name my first born daughter that. I never told anyone and this was back when I was a teenager. I used to write short stories and I used the name a lot in my writing. My sister who is 7 years older then me ended up naming her oldest daughter Caitlyn. I was mad at her for a moment but she didn't know my attachment to the name.

I've now decided on the name Calliope Rose and the nickname Calli. My 13 year old nieces name (sister's daughter born after Caitlyn) is Hallie. I talked to my sister and she actually liked the idea and decided that it was like a combination of Caitlyn and Hallie.

I say go for it, it's not even that similar.

GO for it! They're totally different and Canon is just AMAZING! Hooray for being different!

Love the name Canon. So different for a boy! Sounds nothing like Connor. And like others have said, middle names are not really used.

If it's a different name then go for it! It'd be slightly different if it was the EXACT same name but I don't think Canon and Conor sound anything alike really.

I was a bit conscious that a colleague of mine's daughter had the middle name May, which we picked for our DD. I just.told people "the May is after DH's Grandma" People 'get' family middle names so I figured just tell them! :haha:

xXx

I don't think the first names sound similar at all :) and as far as the middle name i don't think anyone will really think anything of it. Lots of people have the same middle names anyways.

My friend did something similar to that. Two years ago we were both pregnant and due around the same time. We had discussed our pregnancies and even discussed names even though were were only 3 months. I had picked out Lucy for a girl and Cameron for a boy. I ended up having a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks which really knocked the stuffing out of me. Anyway, she had a girl and ended up calling her Lucy!

I would use it.

My two older sister's have daughters whose names are VERY similar (one letter difference) and they don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->