from hungry baby milk to comfort milk

kbwebb

Reaction score
i dont want to mke this post too long. but basically, when lucy was first born she projctile vomited every feed and everyone i spoke to told me it was reflux. i went to the doctor who sent me to the hospital because of her weight loss. the doctor said we were over feeding her giving her 3oz every three hours at 10 days old. he told us to go on hungry baby milk. he also told us she had oral thrush which he was wrong about because both my gp and two health vistors disagreed.

we changed to hungry baby milk however she then went from 3 hour feeds to 1 and half hour feeds which she currently does. she has 6oz each time. she is still being sick not projectile but every few days it seems like all she ever does is be sick. ive changed mine and her clothes three times today.

both me and oh think that maybe shes drinking so much to sooth the burning feeling that she would have if she had reflux. so my question is, do you think we should change to comfort milk, would it help in your opinion. do you think she would want even more milk than now because of it being fewer calories or would she just stay the same but space feeds out because the burning sensation would be gone. would you do half hungry baby half comfort to slowly change the type of milk or just change completely.

my gp isnt much help you cant never get appointments, and even then they sit and read a book to diagnose. thats why im asking here first.
i dont even know if all of this makes sense i just have so many questions.

even with her having a large amount of milk she is not over weight, she weighs a lot but she is also very long so i arent worried about that.

I personally found comfort milk of no help, we found an improvement with SMA Staydown. It needs to be made up different to regular milk too.

Ive never heard of staydown milk before, how is it different?:dohh:

Comfort is meant for colicky babies, staydown is directed at the reflux babies.
https://www.smamums.co.uk/home/product-finder/sma-staydown-formula-175.aspx

Cow & gate also do a comfort anti-reflux milk, I can't say how good it is, but their comfort milk for colic & constipation works a dream. Jenson was sick every feed for his first week and a combination of keeping him upright through the feed, winding often and the change in milk has worked really well (so far anyway!! I'm a ftm and he's only 2 weeks lol) x

thanks so so much for your help ladies! I'll look into the staydown milk hopefully it works, the cow and gate sounds great but when she was on cow and gate she was even worse than she is now. :flower: would you slowly change or just change in one go?

Aww no :( I think most brands do a comfort/anti reflux milk anyway, it's just finding the best for your baby, which can be time consuming and expensive lol! I'm lucky as my LO will drink anything! My midwife suggested to us alternating between which formula, so one feed he'll have normal cow & gate and the next he'll have the comfort one. I'm glad we do it that way as well because the comfort milk is thicker & he doesn't drink as much of it. It works for us though :) I know some people just swap altogether in one go though.

We used sma stay down and the change in him was amazing, it didn't stop it all together but it reduced it a hell of a lot. After a couple of weeks it started getting worse again so we had to use infant gaviscon aswell, and the both of them helped loads.

It is a pain to make up tho, especially when out and about trying to keep bottles chilled, but bottle bags do the job, you just have to be organised an make sure you leave plenty of times to get the bottles chilled before use but you get used to it pretty fast.

Another thing is finding somewhere that stocks it. We found that nowhere round here did the cow and gate reflux milk that's why we used sma so have a look round in local pharmacy first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->