Frustrating $$ Issues

NatashaZ

Reaction score
I need to vent for a moment. I called several clinics today trying to find somewhere that would take me in for my first prenatal visit. I called one doctor that I am very interested in seeing because I have heard many good things about him (plus he is based out of the hospital I was born in, which is neat!). He charges $350 a visit, the lab work is $500, and I didn't even bother asking what my first sonogram would cost. I love his practice, though, and his nurses are wonderful.

Well, the one nurse I spoke to told me to apply for Healthy NY, because they take Empire through that program and it will help offset the cost of my visits. I was very excited about this because I am dying to see a doctor ASAP (feels like I am not actually pregnant until I see one, is that weird??).

I am pretty sure I qualify for the program, and I have the application and everything, but I think once I mail it in it will take a least a month for them to process. A month!!! I can't take the suspense... I pee on a stick every morning to see a plus sign because I am still in shock about this whole thing. I just want the comfort of seeing a professional and being told all is well and yes, I am pregnant.

It is so frustrating to think I have to wait another month, at least!! I might be in my 2nd tri before I ever make it to a doctor!!

Have you ever considered using a free clinic until then? I would submit the paperwork and contact a local planned parenthood clinic that can assist you until then and at least make sure all is going as need be. :)

That was actually my first thought after I found out it may take 4+ weeks for insurance to kick in. I did go to planned parenthood about 3 days after I got my BFP, and they charge $55 for a urine test which is mandatory in order to schedule an appointment for anything else. Any further care is not actually free, unless you earn less than a certain amount and qualify for it. I still make more than I can receive benefits like that with, but I am sure the cost of services there will be less. I just didn't want the hassle of having my records transfered over... but guess I don't have a choice :(

Well, if it makes you feel better. I didn't get to see a DR till my secend tri, lol, and I still havent gotten an app for an ultrasound, :(.

I don't get to see a doctor until 10 weeks and I called the day I was 4 weeks preggo. No ultrasounds scheduled either.

I found some links with information about prenatal care for low-income New Yorkers (and some may also help you learn about health care for your baby):

https://www.health.state.ny.us/community/pregnancy/health_care/prenatal/
https://planaheadnewyork.com/publications/6000/
https://www.prochoiceny.org/boc/sect6.shtml
https://www.cdfny.org/Issues/CDFIssues_Health.htm

Thank you Ruthalaska, I will def check those out. My biggest issue is that, as far as the govt is concerned, I am not low income. I make about 3000 more a year than the cut off for all benefit programs except for housing assistance. Once baby is born and/or I move in with BF, we will have more assistance as our household size will be larger and he is just a student, no income. We'll see :(

I am sad I won't get a scan for several more weeks.

In most states, when applying for public assistance, a pregnant woman counts as 2 people. Are you counting that in when you look for programs you apply for?

Have you looked into WIC? They will help with food during and after pregnancy, formula, and they have a medical card that has benefits too. Not sure what all the medical assistance deals with but I bet if you tell them you cant afford prenatal vitamins or a proper diet they will get you in a lot quicker. I know a few years ago from an article I was reading that if you had a family of 4 and made less than 50,000 you are eligable for WIC in CA. Each state has their own program so I am not sure of the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->