FSH Level help please.

WannaB

Busy Finding Nirvana!
Reaction score
Ive just got my cd3 FSH levels back it it doesnt look as if they are good. :cry: I wondering if any of you ladies could help me out since you've all been there and done that so many times and are up on it all. The normal range in the Follicular Phase is suppose to be 3-20 U/L, mine has come back at 34 U/L.:cry: They were taken while I was on the 3rd day of a miscarriage, could that have affected the levels and elevated them or am I well and truly stuffed?

Hi Wanna,
So so sorry about the m/c, I was so hopeful when I read you'd done it. I really don't think you can take a level after m/c as reliable as it isn't the start of a cycle. Also, there will still be pregnancy hormones and even if they don't directly interact with fsh levels, surely it will affect oestrogen levels which is likely to affect your fsh levels.

I would do them again after the witch shows up. In any case, it is very common for levels to fluctuate quite widely from one month to another and well, high or not, your did manage to get pg, so hang on to that rather than this result, it is surely more reliable.

many :hugs: to you

Sorry for you loss :hugs:
I think you should get them done again like FBbaby said.

Thanks FBaby.:hugs: I was wondering if the mc could have affected it since I seem to be getting pregnant no trouble, one chem and now the mc in three cycles, I seem to be doing better than some 20yo's!:wacko: I guess my age is just worrying me now and that my eggs could be the issue. Will have to wait and see what my gyno has to say now, my gp was toally clueless when I asked about the level, just knew how to read the number!:haha: My best to all you lovley brave ladies in here!:hugs:

I wonder the same thing. I fell pregnant first month coming off the pill last May and stupidly and arrogantly thought I was still super fertile but miscarried 2 weeks later. My fsh results came back last month at 9.7, not great but ok for my age I suppose (39yo), but then I think my oestrogen levels were very high which would have lowered the fsh result significantly, so now I am wondering indeed if in addition to struggling to get pregnant (on 8th cycle now since m/c), the reason for the m/c was poor quality of eggs...

When I think of this and start hyperventilating, I remember that my mum feel pg at 42 and my grandmother at 45 with her only child (after a couple of m/c) and they might very well have had hgh fsh levels too (and other age related problems), just had no idea. At the time, assisted conception wasn't an option, you just had to keep on trying and that's all there was to it.

I sometimes wonder whether the stress we apply to ourselves from all that knowledge we gain is having more of a detrimental affect than the actual results we stress about. They do say ignorance is bliss, and well, it might very be indeed!

I have my first fs appointment in Feb, I will see what he says, but I will not let (well at least will work on not letting!) his words draw me down. After all, all it takes to fall pg is plenty of sex...and thankfully, this is still something we enjoy very much, so no reason to stop :laugh2:

I am so bored today, I have spent some time researching info about fsh levels, and I think I have learnt something! It would appear that fsh levels are more a lever to IVF success than to natural pregnancy chances. What fsh means mainly is that it is more likely to resist stimulation drugs hence lowering the number of eggs retrieved. The key success to IVf is to get as many eggs as possible to select the best ones to be fertilised and implanted. high fsh levels of course mean that numbers are reduced and therefore you are closer to menopause then someone who has a lower number. However, as long as you are still ovulating, you are still releasing one egg and you still have a chance each month. Because quality seem to be related to quantity (the best eggs are released first leaving the not so healthy one to the end), the more advanced you are to the menopause, the more likely you are to release 'bad' eggs than good ones, but there's bound to be a good one coming at some stage.

Anyway, it might be wishful thinking, but I have concluded from all this reading that:
- in case of elevated fsh, IVF might not be the best option if there are no other problems reducing chances of pregnancy. After all, the essence of IVF is to incorporate what would be as many natural cycles as possible all into one and pick the best fertilised eggs to implant
- you are more likely to suffer from miscarriages because of issue with quality
- but if you are patient and continue to bd at the right time, you are still in with a chance that at some stage, a good egg is released and fertilised. You just have to hope it happens before you stop ovulating for good. I guess it explains why even when all is normal, it takes longer for an older woman to fall pregnant than younger ones.

Saying that, I still don't think your results were accurate this time. If you decide to redo it next cycle, I'd advise you get your oestradiol levels tested too as these will directly affect your fsh results (high E2 levels can reduce fsh results).

Thanks for getting bored and thinking of me!:hugs: Ive read too that FSH levels seem more related to IVF. It does play on my mind though, if I do have an elevated FSH level, and Im 41 so it quite likley at this stage, that Im in the waiting game for a good egg amongst the bad ones! The good thing is that women on both sides of my family have had successful pregnancies late in their fertile life. My Gran gave birth to a healthy child 42 along with my Aunt and on my fathers side, his mother gave birth to him at 43, Im hopeing genetics also play a part in this whole crazy game! Ive started taking a few things that are reported to preserve what egg quality I have left and help they mature properly during ovulation plus keep them fresher for a longer time giving the sperm more of a chance to get to them. The first cycle I started using them was the last one resulting in a nice strong bfp, so Im leaning more towards something wrong with my uterine linning possibly so also started taking raspberry leaf to help with the blood flow to the old uterus! I dont need to eat in the morning because Im so full of pills I feel full! :rofl: I too have an appointment with my gyno in Feb, but it feels so long away doesnt it?!:wacko: Im just worried if I manage to fall pregnant again before that what the outcome is going to be!:wacko: Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate that you took the time to help me out!:hugs:

I had also looked into AMH as a more accurate measure. There have been a few girls on here who on the face of it have had what looks like a bad FSH, and have gone on to have a perfectly healthy AMH.

The private clinics in the uk are tending to favour amh (not sure if this is because they can add in another level of cost?!!) however from what I have heard its better test and have other diagnostic uses (eg. good for an unambiguous pcos diagnosis).

I would not give up hope (you will be sick of me saying this!) and what you do know is that you can get pregnant.

FX, I know you will get there. XX

You're very welcome WannaB :hug: I think the more prepared and knowledgeable we can be before an appointment, the more likely it is to go well.

I think we have quite in common. I too hope genes will play a role with my grandmother and mother having had children late in their years. My grandma is such an inspiration; She didn't marry until she met my grandfather after the war when she was 40. He too had never marry nor had children. They tried for 4 years for their miracle baby, my mum. She on the other end had no problems, fell pg with my sister at 42 fpur months after removing her coil, ntnp.

I also am on quite a bit of vitamins. I take agnus magnus which seems to help bringing on ov a bit later as my problem is that I ovulate too early (10dpo the month I m/c). I also take EPO as I don't get ewcm any longer, makes no difference at all, in my case, I think it is due to long term use of antihistamins, nothing I can do about it, but that doesn't worry me as I fell pg using preseed. I take vit B complex 100mg, this has made a massive difference to my LP, gone from spotting from 10dpo, to a LP of 15 days with no spotting at all. Last cycle, I started taking Q10 enzyme as I heard that it can strengthen your lining. I was concerned because since the m/c, my periods has gone so light with only two days of spotting. It does seem to be getting better each cycle though, and don't know if it is the Q10 or not, but so far, the witch is flowing in this cycle, so pleased about that. Since started taking it, I have read that it can help with the quality of eggs too, but the dose has to be 20x what I was taking, so ordered some stronger dosed pills which hopefully are on their way. I have also ordered some royal jelly (I think that's what it is!). I considered taking wheatgrass, but at £20, I decided that was too much. Oh, and of course, this cycle, I will try Soy Osoflavones.

OMG..... it is only writing it that I realise I have become a total junky! It is taking me by surprise because I am not normally a believer of natural therapies, believe more in healthy eating, being active etc..., show what desperation does :laugh2: i'll go read your thread to check what your concoction is like!

Yes, Feb is a long way until our appt. On one hand I wish it was before, but on the other, I welcome the break of two cycles of not expecting a bfp, just enjoying myself (in addition to Christmas, it is my two babies' birthdays and my OH mum's!). I do consider it 'the next step', but try to tell myself not to expect too much as I don't think he will have much more to say than what I have learnt on the internet. I welcome his analysis of the blood results and I assume he will send me for an ultrasound and maybe other diagnostic tests.

Regardless of the outcome, unless my OH SA is really bad, or I have blocked tubes or other problems that will seriously compromise our chances, I expect we will choose to continue naturally. If nothing happens in a couple of years, maybe we will talk about DE, it would't be a problem for me at all, but hey, we're not there yet!

Hope the witch doesn't take long to make her appearance and you are back to active ttc :hugs:

I had also looked into AMH as a more accurate measure. There have been a few girls on here who on the face of it have had what looks like a bad FSH, and have gone on to have a perfectly healthy AMH.

The private clinics in the uk are tending to favour amh (not sure if this is because they can add in another level of cost?!!) however from what I have heard its better test and have other diagnostic uses (eg. good for an unambiguous pcos diagnosis).

I would not give up hope (you will be sick of me saying this!) and what you do know is that you can get pregnant.

FX, I know you will get there. XX

Crypto your story just proves that nothing is impossible! I love your story and am happy everytime I see that preg ticker hooting along nicley!:hugs: FBaby I too rattle alot with all the pills I take in the morning, quite a meal in themselves! Im also take Q10 in the form of Bee Pollen and started on the wheat grass in tablet form, not so expensive and more easy to fit into my lifestyle then squeezing the juice out of the fresh stuff!:haha: Ahh the things we do hey! I also started on Royal Jelly, part of helping to preseve the eggies and to help they mature properly as I ovulate, Ive read amazing stuff on it, alot of stories where ladies have had multiple tries and failures at IVF then after taking it have gone on to successful deliveries from natural conception. I also take a teaspoon of honey with a pinch of cinnamon each morning, an old eastern fertility trick used for hundreds of years, to help the egg stay younger for longer after you pop the bugger out, giving the sperm more of a chance to fertalize it. I used it the first time throughout my last cycle which resulted in a nice strong bfp, so unure if it was just purley a coincidence or actually worked, but statistically Im kicking arse in the falling pregnant catergory so I will continue to use it! I started straight back to ttc, the doc saw no reason since it was an early mc and natural, not keep going and the ole opks have started to change in colour already so Im keen to test out the theory out bodies are more receptive to conceiving straight after a mc! Fingers crossed to both of us that we catch that good egg!:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->