FTM Please Help - worried about safe sleeping

wristwatch24

Mom to DD and TTC #2 :)
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a FTM and I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way for my baby to sleep.

She is going to be 7 weeks old tomorrow and weighs 13 pounds.

I know the best ways to prevent SIDS are to have baby flat on their back in a crib with tight fitting sheets and no blankets, toys, or bumpers. But they also say baby should be in parents' room for 6 months. Currently we have been switching back and forth between a bassinet and the Fisher Price Rock n Play sleeper. I feel uncomfortable with the Rock n Play because she is inclined and not flat on her back. She is quickly outgrowing the bassinet. Two more pounds and she is at the weight limit.

Our bedroom is also tiny and there is no way to move her large crib into our bedroom.

I am afraid that she isn't sleeping safely and don't know if I'm just overly worrying.

I am not interested in suggestions to having her sleep in the bed with us. I know some do that but I don't trust myself or my husband as we both move a lot in our sleep and are pretty sound sleepers.

What do you moms who want to adhere to SIDS prevention standards put your babies in to sleep when you can't fit the crib in your bedroom and baby outgrows the bassinet?

Thank you for your help!!

I moved Isabella to her room at around 2-3 months when she outgrew her bassinet. She started sleeping much better then. We used video monitor with her and checked on her often.

We use the Rock N Plays. Inclined is perfectly safe.

I've done a lot of research online on the Rock n play and most pediatricians seem to agree that it isn't necessarily safe. They also say baby should be flat rather than at an incline. Something about babies slipping down a bit and being kinda scrunched and it messes with breathing structures. Many also say the sides are a suffocation hazard. She has been fine sleeping in it but I get a bad feeling every night and worry.

I moved Isabella to her room at around 2-3 months when she outgrew her bassinet. She started sleeping much better then. We used video monitor with her and checked on her often.

I would definitely like to keep her in with us until the recommended 6 months but thank you for sharing :)

Travel cot? Our lo outgrew his Moses basket by 8 weeks due to his length but we were given a brand new travel cot as a gift. It's smaller that his cot so means he's still in with us.

I also bedshare from 5am -8am but I know it's not for everyone.

I still have Evelyn in her Rock N Play and keep it right next to my bed.

Travel cot? Our lo outgrew his Moses basket by 8 weeks due to his length but we were given a brand new travel cot as a gift. It's smaller that his cot so means he's still in with us.

I also bedshare from 5am -8am but I know it's not for everyone.

Sorry I'm in the US. Is a travel cot like a Pack n Play?

I still have Evelyn in her Rock N Play and keep it right next to my bed.

I personally don't feel comfortable with the RNP after the research I've done. :/

Looking for other options that adhere to SIDS standards.

Btw I love the name Evelyn. It was my grandmother's name. :)

I've done a lot of research online on the Rock n play and most pediatricians seem to agree that it isn't necessarily safe. They also say baby should be flat rather than at an incline. Something about babies slipping down a bit and being kinda scrunched and it messes with breathing structures. Many also say the sides are a suffocation hazard. She has been fine sleeping in it but I get a bad feeling every night and worry.
My pediatrician recommended having them sleep at an incline because of congestion and that it helps it drain better therefore helping with breathing. They don't EVER roll towards the sides plus its mesh and not solid so I don't really see how they could suffocate there.

We bought a crib. No way could we fit her cotbed in, but her crib is plenty big enough.

Same as Lexi, we got a crib - bigger than moses basket, smaller than her cot. It's a bedside crib so the side can come down, meaning you can reach over to your baby without the risks associated with bed-sharing. My 4-month-old LO still sleeps in it by our bed but with the side up now as she sleeps well. I think cribs with sides that come down might be banned in the US? But sure there will be other bedside cribs out there for you without the side coming down.

Regarding sleeping at an incline in something like a Rock N Play, clearly things like this aren't designed for overnight sleep, in particular because of the way the baby's chin will rest downwards which can be dangerous. It even says in the instruction to take babies out after 2 hours? So overnight is not recommended by even the manufacturers otherwise it'd be called the Rock N Sleep! However, if a baby has reflux issues etc, then you need to weigh up the pros and cons, sometimes it's better to have them at an incline.

I think I'm confused with terminology. The big thing in her nursery we call a crib. What is a crib in the Uk?

How big is babies bedroom could you maybe sleep in there with her even if its only a single bed you can fit in there, not sure if you would want to sleep separately to OH but its an option.

A travel cot is I think a pack and play over there, you could get a custom fit extra mattress to go inside to make it more comfortable.

Hmmm. Pack and plays are a bit smaller than cribs and more portable - perhaps one would fit in your room?

Or you and hubby could downsize your bed to fit the crib in?

Or you could put a single bed for you in her room and put her in her crib?

Some ideas.....

My pediatrician recommended having them sleep at an incline because of congestion and that it helps it drain better therefore helping with breathing. They don't EVER roll towards the sides plus its mesh and not solid so I don't really see how they could suffocate there.

I don't really want to go back and forth about the RNP. I personally don't feel comfortable using it after my research and am looking for other options. Thanks.

Not sure how much space you have but you can get space saver cots too that are more compact like this:

https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_146474_10001

Maybe you could find something similar.

I have a crib that attaches to my bed. It's smaller that our cotbed (which is in the nursery), but bigger than a Moses basket.

This is mine. I know I am in the UK, but there must be something similar in the US.

https://www.bednest.com

That bed nest looks fab if I ever have anymore I NEED one of those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->