Fundal height and size of baby?

Louise88

Dd- ciara and ds- James
Reaction score
Just wondered if the fundal height can give an idea wether baby will be big or not? At 25 weeks I measured 27 and today at 28 weeks I'm measuring 30. Does this mean I'm going to have a big baby? I know its still in the normal range but it is the top end of average lol

No it doesn't really mean much- I've been measuring at least 2cm ahead at all my appointments, and had a scan on Tuesday and baby is estimated 7lb1oz currently, so not big at all x

I measured 33cm at 28 weeks this time. The biggest I was with my son was 42cm at 36 weeks, he was 8lb 3oz and tiny! I was all water x

I was the opposite, measured 37 wks on Saturday at 40+3 and she was born on Sunday morning at 8.13 so a decent size. I was all baby so its not particularly accurate. Xx

Its not really accurate. It depends on how you carry the weight. Even though on my son I measured 9weeks behind amd he was small.x

I'm definitely gonna side with the inaccuracies here! My bump is measuring 5 weeks behind but baby is measuring bang on to dates by ultrasound! I'd say it can definitely go the opposite way too :)

Definately not accurate! I've always measured small in all my pregnancies, but last pregnancy when I went into labour at 35+5 weeks I measured 27cm! Baby was born weighing 5lbs 9oz so a perfectly normal size for gestation x

It's never been accurate for me either, in all 3 previous pregnancies I've measured behind. #1 was put down to IUGR yet she was born 6lb 1oz, both fundal height and scans were inaccurate. #2 was 1-2 weeks behind yet measured 8lb 6oz and #3 was measuring 2-3 weeks and was born at 7lb 9oz. This time I'm measuring exactly right. :)

Not accurate at all. Really depends how baby is lying, your fluid, and the midwife who measures you tbh. I suppose they have their reasons for doing it but there's a lot of wiggle room :)

Definitely not accurate - I measured 5 weeks ahead according to fundal height yesterday at my midwife appointment but had a growth scan today as I have gestational diabetes and baby is measuring spot on for dates, if anything the smaller side of average actually, and fluid levels are perfect! My consultant said fundal heights are inaccurate as it very much depends on the mothers anatomy, how the midwife measures, how much fluid is around baby, and also if you've eaten recently sometimes the stomach can be full enough to add an extra few centimetres to the measurement!!

My bump is measuring 3 weeks ahead but after a scan (due to cholestasis) it was found that the baby is measuring spot on for the dates but I have too much fluid which is why my bump is bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->