Fundal height shrunk 2cms in a week :( UPDATE post 1

Cattia

Reaction score
Last week at 36 weeks the MW measured my FH at 34 weeks which she said wasn't a concern. Now, a week later, it measures 32 weeks so it's shrunk by 2 weeks in 7 days, making me now almost 6 weeks behind :(

I have been referred for a growth scan but not until tomorrow. She also said I am not engaged so does this mean baby can't have dropped?

I have measured behind in all my pregnancies and got sent for a growth scan at 32 weeks with this one because I was measuring 29. All was well and baby was estimated on 50th percentile at that stage.

Now I am super worried that something is wrong. I also really don't want to be induced but I guess if they think baby isn't growing properly that could happen. I am tall and very long in the body which the midwife said could account for it, but that doesn't explain the fact that I'm getting smaller.

UPDATE: Went for my growth scan today and all was fine, baby measuring spot on and following the same curve as my last growth scan (which was also because of low FH), baby is on the 50th percentile and estimated weight 7lbs.

Just thought I would update this to reassure people who are worried about fundal height. I am measuring 6 weeks behind but the midwife I saw today said it's purely down to the way I am carrying.

Was it the same midwife that did both checks?

Yes and she got another midwife in for a second opinion who got it even smaller at 31.

Has baby just dropped down lower into your pelvis? That can account for a lot

I really don't know but she did say she could still feel quite a lot of the head and baby wasn't engaged yet. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Hopefully it's just the position baby is in.

ETA: I looked it up online and it appears baby can drop without engaging the head, so it could be that. Apparently fundal height gets less accurate from 36 weeks so here's hoping!!

I do not have any suggestions as to why it is happening, but I will say this. Last time you were measuring off the baby was just fine, it is likely the same this time. I would imagine it is due to positioning and having a long torso which gives the baby extra room to hide. I sincerely hope all is well, and I suspect it will be as fundal height (so I have heard) is well known for being inaccurate.

Many doctors and midwives don't even do fundal height measurements after 36 weeks because they start to be off. Before I saw that you looked it up already, I was going to tell you that baby can drop pretty far without his/her head being engaged.
I'm sure everything is fine.

Went in for my growth scan today but had to wait three hours only to be told that they are full and there are no appointments until Monday *sigh*
But the midwife had a good old prod of baby and said she doesn't feel small at all, she thinks it's just the fact that I'm so tall and have a long torso, plus baby is quite low so fingers crossed all OK for Monday.

Glad everything's tracking normally after all!

FH can be off by a ton in both directions. My FH was measured at 33 or 34 weeks and the OB put me in the 75th percentile. The U/S at 36w3d measured baby in the 10th (just a small kid though, nobody's concerned about the size thankfully). We'll know which one's right in a few weeks, but I take the FH measurements now with a grain of salt.

I am so glad all is well for u, makes me feel better as at 28+4 I was only measuring 27, your story gives me reassurance that all is ok xx

I'm glad the ultrasound showed your measurements to be just fine!

I am also glad to hear that everything is going well. Happy for you both!

Glad everything's okay Cattia xx I am due to have a growth scan on Thursday because have been measuring 32cm fundal height and palpating at 33w for my past three appts :( Last one was yesterday...

Am bricking it a little bit, hoping everything is okay. This post is really reassuring, as I wasn't really worried up until yesterday's appointment...midwife had a bit of a vibe that she was concerned and it's gotten me all in a flap. She's estimating quite a small baby, but then I do just carry quite small I think - same as with Lachlan who was 7lb11oz...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->