Fussy at the Breast

Milina

Reaction score
This is my second time breastfeeding. My son was breastfed for 6 months with no issue however my 9 week old daughter has been very fussy at the breast since she was 3 weeks old. She is gaining weight so is obviously taking in enough milk however she will suck for about 5-10 seconds then stop & this goes on until she no longer wants the breast at all - usually 5-10 minutes. It makes the feeding process so drawn out which is difficult with a 3 year old to look after also.

Has anyone else experienced this with their children? I have spoken to the Breastfeeding Association numerous times, I've seen lactation consultants & my GP however everyone tells me to continue as we are & that it's normal.

I am getting very frustrated & am contemplating putting her on formula.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a strong letdown? My baby gets angry when the milk comes too fast. Or is there something in your diet that isn’t agreeing with her? My second child had reflux and acted that way any time I ate dairy. So I cut out dairy and she was fine

T she will suck for about 5-10 seconds then stop & this goes on until she no longer wants the breast at all - usually 5-10 minutes. It makes the feeding process so drawn out which is difficult with a 3 year old to look after also.

When you say she stops, does she pull off and cry or just stop sucking but remain latched? Initial sucks are often those that stimulate a letdown, and if you have plentiful milk or a strong ejection she may suck till the milk comes then stop in order to either slow it down or because it is overwhelming her.

I am a bit confused though as you say feeds are only 5-10mins but also a drawn out process...do you mean that the process of getting her latched and drinking is drawn out because she keeps stopping and needs to be encouraged to latch back on?

It would be worth trying a laid back feeding position if you can (breastfeeding counsellors and lactation consultants can help in getting this right as it can be a bit tricky at first depending on your breast and body shape - but its really worth trying). This wouldn't have to be totally laid down, it could be reclined on the sofa propped on cushions, but what you are aiming for is a position where the milk has to flow slightly against gravity in order to leave the nipple. This stops baby being overwhelmed by as much milk. It is also a position in which many babies feel confident latching themselves on and off because they don't need your arms to create the close proximity to the breast - as they are already lying against you they are close enough already.

I do know some babies who will stop sucking and unlatch repeatedly because they are not in the correct position and the nipple isn't touching the correct place in their mouth (usually when the nipple is positioned in the centre of the mouth rather than pointed up towards the top and back of the palate). Babies who grow rapidly are prone to this as the position that kept them nose-sniffing-the-nipple when they were newborn no longer works for them now that they are so much longer. It may be worth double checking if she is still latching asymmetrically with much more areola visible above her top lip than under her bottom one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->