Games console - would you?

Savannah11

Love my boys xxx
Reaction score
So for the past couple of days I've been asking DS what he'd like for Christmas (he will be 7 in March).
I've run through hundreds of ideas and had him go through the Argos magazine and the only things he's asked for is a games console for his bedroom and a spy kit. I've given him endless toy choices but he really has just gone past the toy stage (far, far too early for my liking).
My husband is all for getting him a games console as that is what he desperately wants but would you be happy to get one at this age?
I'd limit his usage just to a few hours at the weekend - definitely not on school days and he is very active as he's on a football team , what do you all think girls? Xxx

Depends if you think he will actually get use out it and play the games.
DH had his first console at about 5. He was playing games from 3. He built a great passion for gaming and this all he wanted growing up, never really had toys. Looking back as adults he did spend a lot of time on his consoles so I would limit that as you have said but he actually learnt alot from some games. For example puzzle games. It's good for hand eye coordination too.
I personally wouldn't get them one unless I knew they were going to play on it. Has he played on friends consoles? What sort of games does he like.

I think if you choose games wisely they can be fun but also good for developing problem solving skills and critical thinking. What kind if games is he interested in playing?

My DD occasionally plays some games on both the wii u and the ps4. We have both consoles in the living room and they stay there and are for family use so no-one owns them. That way its easier to monitor usage and she usually will only play with DH as she says it's more fun than playing on your own. personally i would never let her have her own console let alone one in her room, but i know plenty of kids who do so it just comes down to what youre happy with. Both consoles get little use in our house though as between school, work, after school activities etc there just isnt the time. Which is good in a way but also annoying when i think about how much money we've spent on them and the games! I blame DH lol

Thanks girls... he has recently been playing with daddy's PS4 and he absolutely loves it. He's very well behaved in the sense that if I say to him it's time to come off - he will come off straight away with no questions.
I've already said to him that if he asks for a games console it will be limited to weekends only for a few hours and his response was 'ok, just like the iPad :)' so I do trust him to use it appropriately. I'm looking at getting the Nintendo switch or wii u as I think these are more child appropriate than is PlayStation or Xbox xx

We got a wii u last year my boys were 6 and 4 they love it and its got loads of use. They have a limit each day. They are only allowed it after school if they do their school work.

I have a PS3, PS4, 3DS and an Xbox 360 - all of which I do use although I rely mostly on my PS4 because of the apps it offers. My first 2 are 7 and 9 and they prefer the Xbox. Weekdays we don't allow them to use either - except to watch Netflix and weekends they get a day each to play for several hours. It used to be an issue and it would cause them to have tantrums over not being allowed to play but they are pretty much okay with things now because otherwise they can miss out.

In regards to what console though, both Sony and Microsoft have some damn impressive kids games which are usually downloadable and Microsoft seem to have the better selection. Both consoles share titles but there are exclusives for each that are only offered by Microsoft or Sony. It depends on what you are looking for however. Given your son is 7, Microsoft is very, very easy to navigate around. I'm 33 in November and Sony gives me one Hell of a headache. I'm okay now but figuring out the layout took weeks!! Nintendo Switch I would carefully consider as they just have chips for games - around the same size as the DS - and they are very easily lost.

This is a biased answer from me because I am a gamer in a big way.

My son (near 5) plays our PS4 with us and we are actively encouraging him to get to grips with a pc - keyboard and mouse ect, early on because that is the way the world is going. Everything these days is IT based and school is no exception to that rule. The earlier I can get him aquatinted with the computer the better in my eyes so if he's been good over the course of the week, my partner, an IT professional, will sit with him on the PC and play Minecraft with him and build things.

I really think it's up to you and your family dynamic though, ours is very geared toward technology and gaming so it's a natural progression for us but I understand that won't be the case for all x

My son went round to a friend's house and now wants a console for his 7th birthday. I was a bit apprehensive as it would need to go in his bedroom and I don't like TVs in children's bedrooms. But I've relented, we bought him a second hand Xbox 360 to see how he gets on with that, I think he'll love Lego dimensions. Everything in moderation.

My son is 7 in January. He has a 2DS and an ipad. Both of which he loves. We were looking at getting the 2DSxl as the screen is bigger, but then found the Nintendo switch. It's great that they can play on a tv screen or handheld. Like you, I was very reluctant as I still want him to play with toys. But we spent a fortune on toys last year, most of which don't get played with. I'm too quite saddened by this, kids seems to grow up too quick these days, or maybe its because there is so much more technology around for them to engage in instead. We've decided he will get limited time on it, like he does now with the ipad. But we are also going to get him more lego too, especially now as he's going into the older sets like Minecraft etc which he should be interested in, too make sure he still 'plays'.

My LO is 6 (7 in Nov) and we bought him a PS4 last Christmas which is in the living room.

I wouldn't let him have one in his room until he is at secondary school and maybe not even then. I worry about online gaming - although I know you don't have to connect it, but I also think it's a bit isolated playing on your own in your room at such a young age.

I wanted it to be seen as a family thing, and in the living room.

I only allow play on a Friday evening as a treat and a few hours on Sat and Sun but I have to say, he wants to play on it continually and we have had tears when I say no. We didn't at first but very quickly it has become something he wants to do continually!

Sometimes his dad plays with him and I don't mind that as much. They also have the odd game on the PC together.

I work at a Council and interestingly we have lots of cases of primary school children who truant off school as they have been up all night gaming! I was shocked to be honest, secondary maybe but I was shocked that it was now affecting primary school children in such a way!

Games LO has so far and enjoys are mainly lego ones, Lego Dimensions, Lego harry potter, Lego City, Lego Jurrasic World, Minecraft (Music drives me insane!), Skylanders and Lego Worlds.

For Christmas I will be getting him a few more games, Ratchet and Clank, Dragon Quest Builders and possibly another.

I do worry a bit I got it too early...as I wonder what's then left to buy!!

Thanks so much for all your responses girls. It's very hard to keep them children these days and I think I'm going to have to move with the times and realise how big technology will be in their lives.
We are going to go for the Nintendo switch on the basis that it's for limited weekend use.
Thanks so much for all your responses xx

yes my lo has had consoles since he was 3. hes now 7 and builds his own websites and game designs he adores gaming and it taught him to read by 3.5
we have all the consoles and have the new xbox on pre order for November.

id try and pla on the witch before you buy it we have one we got it on launch da and it the worst console we have nd has been played the least it often shuts down mid game there are better consoles available on the market at the moment

I bought DS and ex hubby ( when we were together) last year Ds was 4 at the time. He uses daddy tablet but dosent have one of his own, he only looks up dino facts or snack fact-or we do on the tablet. We only have lego jurrasic world that he can play on.

I wouldnt let him have it in his room, no TV in room till hes 10, BUT thats the rules in our house. BUT my friend has an older son of 15 ( hes doing his GCSE next summer) and he shares a bedroom with his 6 year old brother they have all the computer consoles in there and the 6 year old is so quick on them and he falls asleep every night to a dvd as mum works and dad is looking after 2 other children-Think it what works for you family :)

xxxx

DS1 is getting a new 2ds xl for his 6th birthday. He has over the last year discovered our rather old wii and various bits on our tablet. His older cousins have DS's and he has a go on theirs. We decided to go with a handheld one so he can use it on long journeys. It will not be allowed in his bedroom at all.

We have got him a Pokemon game for it as he is rather in to Pokemon at the moment. We will get him a couple of second hand games for Christmas as well. The cost of new games is pretty ridiculous really and since he's young enough not to care about it being the latest it's a good way to expand his options without spending a fortune.

I guess it depends on the child as well. My DS is the most obedient child in the world lol, he wouldn't dare switch it on without permission! If he ever broke that trust it would be gone. Like someone else said I wouldn't allow mid week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->