Gay marriage in catholic church

I was raised catholic and so where my whole family and never once did I hear being gay was wrong, not allowed or some sort of sin. I remember going to Amsterdam and seeing gay couples as a child and never flinched. My mum being a prude would gasp but she would do that at a straight couple to. But we where raised catholic to accept people as they are. What they done in their sex lives was their business. My children will be raised that way to. Not to hold prejudice against any one for not being married even as their parents arnt married. Sex, gender, race etc And they will go to a catholic school to learn there to. We also have gay members in our family both sides to and different religions.
We all raise our kids our way which is different from everyone's. :) not right or wrong just different.

I was raised similarly to you and I'm so grateful for it! I too plan to bring up my daughter in much the same way. This is going to sound crazy, but when I got to college (I went to a religious university) I was almost shocked to find that there were people who were revolted by homosexuality. I found that so backwards and outdated.

I never understood why either, I suppose it does depend on how you where brought up. My parents where like, some people are gay and thats it, never questioned it. Never thought it was wrong. Its sad the church dosnt accept them as I would have thought they accepted everyone.

My lo will be raised with old fashioned values however will respect everybody no matter what there sexual preferance! To live in this day and age you have to be open however I still don't expect the church to change there beliefs x

I think a gay couple should have exactly the same rights as a straight couple so yes I think they should beallowed to marry in churches.

My lo will be raised with old fashioned values however will respect everybody no matter what there sexual preferance! To live in this day and age you have to be open however I still don't expect the church to change there beliefs x

This. I don't consider myself "not accepting". I know many gays and don't flinch to avoid them! I think that is a poor judgement on those who call us homophobes because we don't agree with it. Yes, their sex lives are their business but they shouldn't have to be radical and try to change an organization who has had beliefs for centuries. That is my opinion.

My kids don't have a right to judge anyone as I don't. I don't go around to my best friend telling her she is going to hell because she has two kids and isn't married. I certainly don't classify myself as a prude although that certainly is becoming my status on this forum!

This. I don't consider myself "not accepting". I know many gays and don't flinch to avoid them! I think that is a poor judgement on those who call us homophobes because we don't agree with it. Yes, their sex lives are their business but they shouldn't have to be radical and try to change an organization who has had beliefs for centuries. That is my opinion.

My kids don't have a right to judge anyone as I don't. I don't go around to my best friend telling her she is going to hell because she has two kids and isn't married. I certainly don't classify myself as a prude although that certainly is becoming my status on this forum!

I hope you dont think my post was directed at you in any way, has undertones of what I said. I do not think any of that of you or any one in this thread. Nor thought any one was homophobes. I understand you say the church wont change but as I said the church and its followers are different. I dont expect them to change but its sad that they aren't at the same time. I also explained how I was raised not to get at any one else. I know where I am from plenty raised to hate other religions, it didn't happen in my family which at the time was strange as most families did raise their children to hate the other side during the troubles in NI. I had plenty of friends and their families openly hate another religion.

I hope you dont think my post was directed at you in any way, has undertones of what I said. I do not think any of that of you or any one in this thread. Nor thought any one was homophobes. I understand you say the church wont change but as I said the church and its followers are different. I dont expect them to change but its sad that they aren't at the same time. I also explained how I was raised not to get at any one else. I know where I am from plenty raised to hate other religions, it didn't happen in my family which at the time was strange as most families did raise their children to hate the other side during the troubles in NI. I had plenty of friends and their families openly hate another religion.

fair enough xx

I'm Church of England - I've no issue on who gets married to who - as long as they love each other, what matter? We know 'God is love' and, in my opinion, I think about what God and Jesus would think about the matter. And I think they'd openly embrace it. The Gospels show Jesus to be a kind, accepting and a man who opened his heart and hands to everyone. To me, that says it all.

Yea I think your right I think god would be open to all kinds of love as long as people are happy that's how it should be x

So in the same way Gay marriage was illegal by law? Was it radical to change that?

I have absolutely no problem with homosexuality, and not even in a "its not my business" way, I just don't have a problem with it. I'm not a big fan of seeing anyone at all having a massive snog fest in the street, no matter who they are. I'm not "tolerant" of homosexuality, I'm not "accepting" of homosexuality, I'm not "respectful" of homosexuality, I'm....well.....I don't give it a second thought. It's just not important in any way. To me it isn't an issue. I couldn't care less who people choose to have sex with. I don't agree with the Catholic Churches stance at all, in any way.

That said, I do believe they shoudn't be forced to change it. They believe certain things, and preach certain things and those are core values to the religion. They should not have to adapt those, to suit one minority group. They are pretty much just a private members club and those who agree can go and all agree together. As long as they do it behind closed doors........

And anyone who disagrees with that stance has a right not to join that club. They can join another club that does all the same things, but is accepting of their lifestyle. Or they can start their own club.

What I do wish is that the Catholic Church would move a little with the times and choose to do this. And I wish they would allow the individual dioscese to make their own decision in consultation with the congregation. And I wish the Bill had made it possible to do this. By not giving them the opt in, the government are encouraging them never to change and I don't think that's the right thing to do.

I don't think all catholic churches are being forced to allow gay marriage, it is at the discretion of the indivudal church

Civil rights nd religious rights are two very very different things. While I personally was raised in a church where homosexuality was a "sin" - that's their decision to make. Its not my place to judge. As for as government, I don't think they should make decisions based on religious beliefs. So I think the (US at least) Government should allow it. But religious organizations shouldn't be forced to go against their beliefs. There are plenty of other options.

I think gay people just want to be accepted by their religion, some sort of validation. Seems that way. I dont blame them either. Clearly this is important to them.

but I don't understand why any church who supposedly follows the bible should be having anything to say on the matter? when homosexuality is listed as a "sin" along with fornication, idolatry etc? isn't it just confusing matters? how can one church in the same religion openly accept gay marriage, when the one down the road shuns it?

xo

I read a quote today that amused me...

"It is ironic that the CoE are claiming gay marriage will ruin the sanctity of it.... erm, do they not remember how they began?"

^^ haha :haha:

Though, I do think Wycliffe deserves an honourable mention :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->