Gay Marriage

AirForceWife7

Mama to Brenna.
Reaction score
As the title says. I realize that many peoples' religions can come into play with this topic, as well.

My answer: I believe gay marriage should be legalized. I feel that two men or two women that are in love should be able to have the same happiness & fulfillment as my husband and I, no matter their sexual orientation.

What are your thoughts? x

Every culture has a form of marriage and no religion/culture has a copyright on it. Throughout human history marriage has evolved and changed. It seems common sense to me that two consenting adult humans should be allowed the same legal protection as other couples. I say consenting adult humans because people seem to think we'll be marrying animals and underage children if we extend homosexual couples partnership rights. There are people that will argue that civil unions are enough, but in the united states the defense of marriage act blocks other rights such as the family medical leave act to those with civil unions and that is awful.

I think the govt have no business defining marriage. All it matters that the two people who are making a committment to each other are two human adults

Gay marriage is legal here and it is called a marriage.
I fully support it and would fight to defend it.
Civil liberties and rights should extend to all.
Denying gay people rights is exactly the same as denying people rights based on their race: it boils down to prejudice, bigotry, and intolerance.
And no, I don't think you can use your religion to excuse your opposition to gay marriage. That is still prejudice, bigotry, and intolerance.

I don't really care what other people do :shrug: If 2 people love eachother and they're both consenting adults (and not blood relatives lol) and want to get married, let them! The origins of marriage are not religious so I do think its wrong for the church to try and dictate what should and should not be allowed :wacko:

For me there appear to be 2 main types of marriage. Legally defined marriage and marriage under a specific religion or culture.

Legally, I think gay people should be allowed to get married, i.e. for their union to be recognized in law, and have the same rights as other married couples.

From a religious/customary point of view, I am torn really. I will have to come back and type a proper answer for that. x

ETA: Ok about religious marriages for gay people. I think if it is permissible within the religion then I am all for it. However, if it is not, then I don't think any laws laid out should affect the religious stand point as I think that religions should be able to operate independently of state pressures. I don't think they should be pressurized into allowing gay marriages if that is contrary to their fundamental beliefs. Religion is generally a voluntary thing (at least by the time you are thinking of getting married you are able to choose whether or not to belong to a certain religion) and if their policies are not in line with your individual beliefs, then I don't think they should be forced to change to accommodate.

My general opinion about homosexuality though is that love is love. Any real, love can only be a good thing, whether it comes in the conventional form or not, and its a shame we get caught up sticking labels to it etc. x

Yes, I of course support gay marriage. My mum and her female partner were married a few years ago after waiting 20 years to be able to! That's a more long term, committed partnership than some if not most heterosexual couples, so why the hell not.

Yes, I of course support gay marriage. My mum and her female partner were married a few years ago after waiting 20 years to be able to! That's a more long term, committed partnership than some if not most heterosexual couples, so why the hell not.

How interesting. You know in the Ask Me.. thread where you said you can answer questions about life with 2 moms, I automatically assumed you'd perhaps been adopted, then found your biological mom some time later and both of them were in your life, I never imagined that your mom had a female partner.

Yeah, they were together since I was a child but my dad has always been very involved too so I have 3 parents really :)

I am in the same situation as above. My mum and Dad were married, he left why i was two as he was a homosexual. He has been with his husband for over 15 years. My child has two Grandads and one Nanna. WE've just returned from a holiday all together which i was delighted with.

I am very happy they were able to get married. As this has given them a better legal stand point. In terms of being put into the same retirement home, next of kin in emergancys (im 100 miles away) That I dont inherit a house or have more rights to that home than his partner who has paid half the mortgage. Yes I would never chuck him out of my Dads home to sell it, but legally before the marriage I could have in theory or at least charged him rent.
Couples who are in a seriously long term commitment should have all the same rights as any other couple. This was not the case before the Civil partnerships were into introduced in this country.

The way I see it is some men like women with red hair, some like blondes, some women like skinny men, some like fat men so why should someones gender make a difference to their right to committing to each other for life. So in short I think it should be legal, I think gays should have equal rights.

^ I've used that analogy for as long as I can remember! So true.

As a married gay woman.. I think gay people should be able to get married.

As a Jewish woman, I understand that my marriage is not recognised under Jewish belief. I feel like I am split in two, although I don't really practice I still believe. My family accepts me and my wife for who we are - as do the local communities etc and as would our local Rabbi should I choose to go to synagogue and take a more active part of religious life.

not only do I support gay marriage, but I support all gay rights too. Oh, and I am Catholic.

I absolutely support gay marriage. I actually did some research recently for an article I was writing and was amazed to see how long it took for gay people to be given the same rights as straight people in terms of healthcare, benefits, work etc. And it wasn't all that long ago gay people were kept in cages like animals. I find it disgusting. People don't tolerate racism, so why is it ok to tolerate homophobia? If two people are in a loving, commited relationship then I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to marry. The term "civil partnership" just doesn't sound right to me. I realise it is against the church, to be homosexual, and unfortunately I doubt that will ever change but people still get married in hotels or whatever and it is still classed as a marriage. I think it's sad that in 2011, we still aren't 100% there in accepting LGBT people. My daughter's dad is gay (don't ask lol) and one of my best friends is gay and I view them just as I would view anyone else.

Ok, rant over

Totally support it.

Someone put this on fb which i thought was great

https://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq560wKuBt1qm7eyco1_500.jpg

WOW!!! Sooo surprised, and yet happy to see such a thread on here. Clearly, I support Same-sex marriage.... :)haha:) My wife and I have been together for over 16 years!!! Love the fact that you started this thread and loving to hear of your upbringing MOM2BE_CLAIRE.... our daughter and hopefully our next LO will be in the similar situation (- the very involved father) We use donors!!!

*Celebrating this thread* :flower::hugs:

WOW!!! Sooo surprised, and yet happy to see such a thread on here. Clearly, I support Same-sex marriage.... :)haha:) My wife and I have been together for over 16 years!!! Love the fact that you started this thread and loving to hear of your upbringing MOM2BE_CLAIRE.... our daughter and hopefully our next LO will be in the similar situation (- the very involved father) We use donors!!!

The perspective in the UK is a LOT different to that in the US I believe MrsM. (A good thing for us who live over here!) From what I've heard from my friends in the US, homophobia is a lot more common over there.

The perspective in the UK is a LOT different to that in the US I believe MrsM. (A good thing for us who live over here!) From what I've heard from my friends in the US, homophobia is a lot more common over there.

Very much so!!! My father was in the military so we were able to live overseas for a few years and it was quite different. I often dream of living there happily.... I love reading about the ladies on BNB in the UK, the happiness, just warms me. we are lucky however over here, as where we are, Same-sex marriage is law! Long time in the making though, we have only been married just shy of 2 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->