General elections/voting

fuffyburra

Hattie Flower's mummy :)
Reaction score
Oh my good lord HELP ME!! This is me at the moment - :wacko: I think I'm going mental. There's just so much to know!

Who is everyone voting for and why? I know it depends on what's important to you as an individual, but I'm hoping talking about it will help me come to a decision lol.

I really don't want to start a political debate, I just want to get different people's insights :) Thankyou!! xx

I'm Lib Dem this time. Mainly because our Lib Dem candidate is great and supports all the kinds of things I believe in. I definitely believe in getting to know your local candidates, which motions they are going to support, their general policy orientation etc. As far as I'm concerned the figureheads of the parties are not the most important thing in the UK system. However I am party aware also, the cabinet are important to consider and I am certainly not in the conservative camp, so its always between Lib/Lab. This time however there are plenty of reasons for me to go Liberal, partly our local candidate and partly my frustration with the general direction Labour have been headed over the last 5 years.

I agree, I'm not happy with the way Labour have done things either. Our country is a bit of a shambles at the moment :/

Thanks for your perspective :)

I live in a safe-as-houses Labour seat (Mr Brown's own constituency, as it so happens), so as much as I'd quite like to see the Conservatives in, for a bit of a change, and their policies seem alright regarding their family values and whatnot (Labour seem to pick and choose as they go along, doesn't fill me with joy), I know that a vote for the Tories here is a wasted one. So I'm going to vote Lib Dem. The more votes the Lib Dems get in this area the better, because the way it looks they'll go for Cameron in a hung parliament.

Wow. I was all set to come in and post about how much I don't like John Cornyn, love John Carter, can't stand Perry, and really really really don't like the Tea Party and right win nut jobs who are being horrible, as well as the leadership in the Republican party who are not speaking out condemning this, but uh... I think y'all are talking about something totally different...

Wow. I was all set to come in and post about how much I don't like John Cornyn, love John Carter, can't stand Perry, and really really really don't like the Tea Party and right win nut jobs who are being horrible, as well as the leadership in the Republican party who are not speaking out condemning this, but uh... I think y'all are talking about something totally different...

Hehe we basically get to decide who's going to be the next official "President of America's bitch" (aka Prime Minister). Although I think most people will agree about the crazies that are behind the Tea Party *cough*Palin*cough*.

Yeah, it's the General Election in the UK on May 6th and the election campaign has literally just started in earnest here!

Personally, I'm going to be voting Plaid Cymru. I agree with the ethos of the party and they're brilliant in my constituency in general. Our AM is Plaid and the county council has many Plaid members who do their best (the ward I live in has a very active, visible Plaid councillor) and I'd like to see Plaid across the board here. Plus the Plaid candidate is known to my husband as he's a lecturer at the uni here for the course my husband studied! I think it's always good if you can get to know the candidates as that gives you a better idea of exactly what you're voting for!

Beca :wave:

Hehe we basically get to decide who's going to be the next official "President of America's bitch" (aka Prime Minister). Although I think most people will agree about the crazies that are behind the Tea Party *cough*Palin*cough*.

Best quote i ever did read! :haha: Brilliant! xx

In short, I have no idea. Told OH I might just go for who has the best outfit, or who has the tightest arse. "Then you're so not voting" he said. Spoilsport, lol.

This is the wrong kind of a thread for a politics and history student to wander into i think! Is your constituency one which is likely to change this time? Does your MP have a smallish lead? You could always check out https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/ but what I would say about that is that although policies are important only judging on a few can give a misjudged outlook.

the manifestos will be out soon so that should help!

Personally I would like the Conservatives to get in but in my current Scottish seat there is no point in voting for them as they are maybe the 4th party or something! So I will be voting Labour to ensure the SNP don't get a seat, but that is just my personal viewpoint! :haha:

I have no idea Fluffy I am in the same boat as you! They are all the same to me.. useless :haha:

Personally I would like the Conservatives to get in but in my current Scottish seat there is no point in voting for them as they are maybe the 4th party or something! So I will be voting Labour to ensure the SNP don't get a seat, but that is just my personal viewpoint! :haha:

That's the sort of situation I'm in, but I hate the idea of voting for Labour, purely because its such an ex-mining town thing to do. All the old people will vote for Labour because, back in the day, they supported workers rights. A lot of people my age will either vote SNP (because it's a pretty badly educated area, excuse the gross generalisation), or for Labour because it's what their daddies and granddads told them to do. Very few people will vote Tory. My gran, for example, at the age of 87 still stands by her promise to "disown" any of her family that vote Tory. In the Mr Brown's constituency a Lib Dem vote is the most strategic for those who don't want the SNP in, but at the same time aren't too keen on Labour, because at least they get a reasonable amount of votes here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->