Genetic Testing before 12 weeks

mczzi3737

First IVF
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am 8w5d and my OB said I can do the genetic testing before 12 weeks. Since I am 39 years old, she strongly encourages me to do so. Have you all done or considering doing genetic testing before 12 weeks. My OB said its a big discussion because I should know what my plan is after I get it (in case something is not right).

Just looking to see what folks are doing especially those ladies in my age range.

Thanks

Last edited:
I had it done today hon and I'm 13 weeks and 1 day. The scan went well and they measured the fluid at the back of babies neck and said that was normol. I also had a blood draw and I will get the results if I'm high risk in the next 7 working days and if I'm low risk which is what I'm hoping I will get a letter in the post in about 3 weeks. She said if I haven't heard nothing after 7 working days then I'm low risk. I'm 39 as well. I had it done with DD when I was 32 and got a low risk result so I'm praying it will be the same this time.
I've never had the test b4 12 weeks and they like to measure fluid at the back of babies neck I think it will be best if u can hold out till 12 weeks hon it will soon come round not sure how they wud measure the fluid at the back of babies neck b4 12 weeks.

Hi Suggerhoney,

Thanks for sharing. Wishing you the best and glad the fluid in the back of the neck was normal. I decided to get it and scheduled it in my 12th week (I am 8w6d today). I just wasn't sure about it.

My doctor recommended waiting until the 12th week because before that point, it’s possible that you won’t get enough fetal DNA in the bloodwork and you’ll have to re-do the test. This is for the NIPT not the triple screen.

I was told I could do the genetic testing NT scan at 11 weeks, it says on my referral between 11 and 13+6 it had to be between. Not sure about the NIPT. Scheduled for 12W1D as I wanted a Saturday date so I didn't need to get off work.

I was told I could do the genetic testing NT scan at 11 weeks, it says on my referral between 11 and 13+6 it had to be between. Not sure about the NIPT. Scheduled for 12W1D as I wanted a Saturday date so I didn't need to get off work.

Wishing you and your little one the best for the test. I have about 2 weeks before my test. I think I will freak out the day of until I get the results.
ng6Tm7.png

I had NIPT (Harmony test) for all three of my kids due to my age. I had the test done around 11.5 weeks for all of them. There was plenty of fetal DNA in my blood by this stage for analysis. You can have NIPT done from 10 weeks. It needs to be done early so you have time to have further tests & make decisions if the result is high risk. It’s worth getting done if you’re over 35. The other scans (NT) can be subject to human error whereas NIPT is actually looking at baby’a chromosomes. Good luck with your decision.

We did NIPT too, even though I am a little younger than you are. I found it to be a great experience, it was quick and not dangerous for baby and most of all gave us peace of mind. Also you find out the gender really soon (if you want to know the gender, that is), which is a fun bonus.
I do agree, however, that you should know what you are going to do if the test returns a positive result. Of course it's absolutely your decision to make, just make sure you have thought about it and discussed it with your partner before results day. If it makes you feel better, remember that chances are the test will be negative and all you will get from it is peace of mind and confidence going into your second trimester! Good luck :hugs:

I'm 42 (43 shortly) and plan on having the tests this time. We didn't last time when I was 37. Baby was fine.

Honestly, I can't imagine we'd terminate unless I thought the baby was in pain (it's an ungodly nightmare in this country anyway, so we'd have to travel) but if we were expecting a child with medical needs, I'd like to be ready for that - read up and stuff - before they arrive. In some cases, some of these issues may warrant having a team on standby during labour. If you test, you'll know ahead of time.

I've plenty of friends with DS kids, and our Georgia was autistic. I don't mind extra needs, but I'd prefer to have as much time as possible to learn what I need to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->