• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

George Osborne's £10 burger

It irritates made when they say he's not a "man of the people" because he didn't buy a cheap burger. Are the people ALL buying cheap burgers? Are people like me, who would pay that for a takeaway, not part of that mythical group of "people?" I do get annoyed when just because I'm not scrimping and saving and watching every penny and not living on baked beans at the moment, that I'm not one of "the people"

I agree with Su. I'm not a fan of all the expenses MPs can claim, it does seem over the top. But if I work through dinner my company pay for a meal for me. Last time it was a burger and chips with an orange juice at Holiday inn express. That came to around £18. I can afford to pay that but why should I subsidise my company? I can't see why George Osborne shouldn't claim in the same situation.

I'd b more offended if for his working dinner he spent £100+ and claimed. There are defo more worse expenses out there and I really don't see it as that unreasonable, and tbh I'm no Tory nor a fan of Osborne

I would almost guarantee that he will claim it on expenses, of which he is fully entitled to do. So what if he earns a 'hefty salary' if he's entitled to claim for dinner whilst working outside business hours then that's exactly what he should do.

I claim every expense I spend through the company I work for, of which the conpany will claim tax on from the Gov money pot....and I spend a hell of a lot more than £10 when someone else is picking up the tab.

I also very much disagree that he should have chosen some shite to eat like McDs if thats something he did not want.

Honestly, I'd just laugh at anyone 'outraged' by this.

Of course he's technically entitled to it, I just can't wrap my head around why someone who earns so much and who's job was making what should be gut-wrenching cuts would want to claim a burger on expenses for working a little late - McDonalds or not :shrug: it just seems a little ironic and lame.

Then again, after a multitude of minimum wage jobs with no allowances, perhaps I'm just bitter he has the option :haha:

Do all Public Sector workers get lunch/dinner allowances (genuine question)?

Of course he's technically entitled to it, I just can't wrap my head around why someone who earns so much and who's job was making what should be gut-wrenching cuts would want to claim a burger on expenses for working a little late - McDonalds or not :shrug: it just seems a little ironic and lame.

Then again, after a multitude of minimum wage jobs with no allowances, perhaps I'm just bitter he has the option :haha:

Do all Public Sector workers get lunch/dinner allowances (genuine question)?
Not really lunch/dinner allowances but it works the same as it does in most companies. If you are having to pay for something you wouldn't normally, then you can claim it back on expenses. So, say you would normally take your lunch in, but you are working away from the office and have to buy it, then you would claim for that lunch. If you are working late or are working away from home, you would claim your evening meal on expenses. Similarly, if you are travelling somewhere you claim the cost of travelling or hotels or stuff. But no, most people don't get a lunch/dinner allowance for everyday meals.

It does work this way for MPs too- although there is a lot more stuff they can claim on expenses and many of those piss me off.

I'm travelling for work next week. Mileage will probably come to around £100, with a £70 hotel stay, and probably around £30 in food over the two days. Should I pay for that? And if my line manager who is a director goes on the same trip, should he pay, just because he is on a higher salary? I worked late last week and bought takeaway dinner at the restaurant downstairs from our office. It cost £11.60. Should I pay for that, just because I can afford it. I don't think the amount you can claim on expenses should depend on your salary. They are a genuine and well accepted part of the working world both in the private and the public sector.

Tbh, it wouldn't ever occur to me to not pay for my takeaway if I was working late :shrug: I'm actually very surprised that you can claim expenses on food away from a canteen setting. I completely understand extra travel costs/hotel costs/food costs at said hotel etc as that's putting you in an imposition but I assumed people just had to bring in packed food or buy their own dinners if requiring to work later than usual. Proof if anything, that I've never had a very grown up job haha.

Yes it's definitely the norm. My contracted hours are 8:30 till 5 and there are allowances within that.....e.g I can't claim dinner if I happen to work till half 5 but my expenses policy allow me to claim dinner after 7pm whether I'm travelling, in the office or even working from home. I don't ever claim when WFH but I always claim if I am out of my house after 7pm as the last thing I want to do is cook when I get home, and I also don't really want to spend £10 of my own cash on dinner.

You're messing.. a burger made the news?? :lol:
This is why I don't read newspapers anymore!

Come on though, £10 for dinner isn't much. My favourite burger is £8 and it's miniature. I'd love it if I could charge one to work!

Tbh, it wouldn't ever occur to me to not pay for my takeaway if I was working late :shrug: I'm actually very surprised that you can claim expenses on food away from a canteen setting. I completely understand extra travel costs/hotel costs/food costs at said hotel etc as that's putting you in an imposition but I assumed people just had to bring in packed food or buy their own dinners if requiring to work later than usual. Proof if anything, that I've never had a very grown up job haha.

More often than not, you don't set out on a day intending to work late:dohh:

i work as a volunteer and this has involved travelling, overnight hotle stays and of course meals ALL of which were claimed on expenses

we have a £15 meal allowance, i can afford to spend £15 on an evening meal, but there is an expenses account and it is provided. just because i can afford it does not mean i am willing to subsidise the co i volunteer for

I read they can claim anything under £200 in expenses without a receipt. Its more than just a burger, people are suffering now, food banks are getting over run and even running out of food. While the working class beat the poor for claiming when they have no choice to and he eats expensive meals from their taxs too. And gets a massive wage on top of that. Its turning a lot of people bitter.

I read they can claim anything under £200 in expenses without a receipt. Its more than just a burger, people are suffering now, food banks are getting over run and even running out of food. While the working class beat the poor for claiming when they have no choice to and he eats expensive meals from their taxs too. And gets a massive wage on top of that. Its turning a lot of people bitter.
The figure is £25 pounds they can claim without a receipt. It was changed from £250 over 5 years ago.

And you can't seriously be suggesting that MPs forgo food because people out there are starving? I would also wonder how many people turning to food banks are actually taxpayers?

A £10 burger is not an expensive meal, not in Central London.

I'm no fan of MPs but I really do think it is getting ridiculous when we start expecting them to subsidise every aspect of their working lives on the basis that there are people worse off than them.

I keep hearing that MPs should be treated like any other public sector worker. Any other public sector worker can claim a meal in the same way for the same reasons as he did.

How stupid, it probably was a meal not just a burger and they are making a big fuss.
Plus that was probably including delivery charge seen as most places charge £2-£3 if a order is under a certain amount so it was probably a drink, burger and fries for about £7 which unless its from a cheap greasy spoon place (although some of them make the best ones) thats pretty normal.

The figure is £25 pounds they can claim without a receipt. It was changed from £250 over 5 years ago.

And you can't seriously be suggesting that MPs forgo food because people out there are starving? I would also wonder how many people turning to food banks are actually taxpayers?

I'm no fan of MPs but I really do think it is getting ridiculous when we start expecting them to subsidise every aspect of their working lives on the basis that there are people worse off than them.

I keep hearing that MPs should be treated like any other public sector worker. Any other public sector worker can claim a meal in the same way for the same reasons as he did.

They can well afford it out of their own wage. I am fed up with people attacking people on benefits who barely can eat sometimes while he gets a pat on the back from the same people hes claiming off too. Its not even about a £10 burger, (which is really dear going by my area). There is lots of other stuff they claim they really shouldnt. You make it sound like he will starve if he dosnt claim for it.

They can well afford it out of their own wage. I am fed up with people attacking people on benefits who barely can eat sometimes while he gets a pat on the back from the same people hes claiming off too. Its not even about a £10 burger, (which is really dear going by my area). There is lots of other stuff they claim they really shouldnt. You make it sound like he will starve if he dosnt claim for it.

I have few qualms with people on benefits however the difference in that scenario is that people on benefits are getting help through a difficult time, George Osborne is working and earning his keep. Being an employee has lots of benefits, I've never needed to claim for a meal but I have claimed for travel expenses, even for my removals to be paid for when I moved into our new house, my husband gets his meals funded by the MOD when he's in the field, we get subsidied rent from the MOD and allowances when we move. These allowances are a way of enabling people to work when the workplace can put them in some sort of disadvantage, yes some people have higher income than others but George Osborne isn't doing anything that millions of other workers don't get, there isn't a cut off for "well you're on above £30,000 a year so all employee benefits are nul and void to you". He won't starve, but because his employer has expected him to work until 10pm to get the job done he has needed to order food in, if he had been at home he would have eaten the food in the cupboards at much less of a cost, thus he has been disadvantaged. These employee benefits keep the qualified people in their jobs or they will look else where for better employers, it's how it works.

I personally would prefer the politicians to be encouraged to work late to get the job done, they can't work 9-5 so these things are there to acknowledge that, you can dislike politicians or whoever all you like, but that isn't what this is about.

people on benefits are getting help through a difficult time

I could probably argue for a while about that in what you and I call help but I wont. I feel it will turn in to a who gets what benefits and scum bag row. So not worth it.

people on benefits are getting help through a difficult time

I could probably argue for a while about that in what you and I call help but I wont. I feel it will turn in to a who gets what benefits and scum bag row. So not worth it.

That was the only bit you decided to argue with? My point is, you can't compare state benefits with employee benefits they have a different purpose, they are different things and state benefits are totally irrelevant to this debate.

I really don't see how it matter's what he earns :wacko:

I don't care if he earns £10,000 or £100,000 a year......at the end of the day expenses are there so that the employee does not have to foot the bill for something deemed a business expense, meals included. It really isn't hard to understand, especially if you have been in a job where you have a clear expenses policy....and if you haven't then accept that this is very much the norm. :shrug:

I don't care if he earns £10,000 or £100,000 a year......at the end of the day expenses are there so that the employee does not have to foot the bill for something deemed a business expense, meals included. It really isn't hard to understand, especially if you have been in a job where you have a clear expenses policy....and if you haven't then accept that this is very much the norm. :shrug:

Exactly, the expenses I mention in my last post in my hubby's and my work are the same if you earn £15,000 a year or are the head of the chain, it's not about income. If your employer doesn't have a good policy, find a better one lol!

I agree with this.
Also, I understand its hard for people in areas where food is cheaper to grasp a £10 burger but thats really cheap for London.

xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->