• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

George Osborne's £10 burger

I agree with MarineWag and Sue88.

I am in a job where I can claim expenses. Whilst I have never had to put in a claim for food yet, I do put in a weekly claim for travel expenses. I can afford the petrol/diesel bill that comes with the travelling....but I can claim it back...so I do :shrug: I earn £10k....not exactly a high wage! Does that make me more 'entitled' to claim it than my colleagues who earn £30k, 40k, 50k+? I wouldn't say so.

As others have said, state benefit & employee benefits are two different things that cannot be compared.

Coming from the North East, where food is cheaper than London....I still would say that a £10 burger is hardly expensive! (Unless you are comparing it to McDs of course!)

Can a teacher claim dinner expenses if they have to do a parents evening? (genuine question)

Can a teacher claim dinner expenses if they have to do a parents evening? (genuine question)

Yes.

Local Authority teachers are entitled to either travel expenses (going home and back to the evening session) or subsistence (meals if staying) for after school attendance at things like Parents Evenings.

Its the same as my husband puts in petrol expenses because he has to travel to other sites most weeks all over the country and often has to stay in a travel lodge.
Should it be a case of those that earn £15k get it paid for them but those that earn £40k shouldn't because they can afford the expenses? nope because for one he does a dam sight more work then the ones on £15k and if a progect goes wrong its on his shoulders not theirs but that's another argument but basicly the expenses is work related and is outside of work hours so is in place to make up for the inconvenience of having to do something that takes up out of work hours (often hours that are not paid for).

Why on earth should someone be expected to pay for something out of their own pocket no matter what they earn that's using up time to benefit the company and often not even getting paid for it as most companies have a no overtime policy.

Fair enough, I didn't know that.

I suppose if every public sector worker gets the same deal, then I don't see the issue. I was under the assumption that dinner/travel allowances (unless going elsewhere) were a very niche thing and that most people only had the privilege of perhaps a canteen.

My Mum is a nurse and if she has to take a patient to another hospital far away then sometimes she has to make her own way back she will claim the travel back, why wouldnt she? She can also claim meal costs but usually doesnt because she usually has a salad with her but if she doesnt why shouldnt she get the costs back? She is fairly highly paid too because she is quite high up now, but I wouldnt say she is less entitled than a lower grade nurse to claim it back nor would I say she is more entitled that George Osborne. They are all just claiming for costs that the job created.

As for it being dear, you cant compare London costs to else where as it is different. I live seven miles away from where he was and I cant get fish and chips for a tenner, a kebab is around £8, so a burger at £7 is not expensive at all, but tbh even if it was expensive for a burger, it isnt expensive for a meal, I mean he could of gone and got steak and chips plus some wine and desert coming to what £50.

Haha, yeah. I dont buy them as I dont like them but hubby does and I was horrified when I went into the kebab shop the other day for him :haha:

Not sure where you get a cheaper burger from unless getting a Macdonalds or a Burger King or going to a kebab van! I usually pay £12.50 for a burger at my locals!

Maybe he could get a train up North and claim that back on expenses but at least the burger would be cheaper, maybe that would make people happier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->