Gestational diabetes.... Any insight?

Jojono2

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with GD yesterday and was wondering what peoples experiences were? Any info very much appreciated!!! Feel in limbo at the minute! Thanks in advance x

I was diagnosed with GD yesterday and was wondering what peoples experiences were? Any info very much appreciated!!! Feel in limbo at the minute! Thanks in advance x

Hiya hun!

I was diagnosed at 27+4, and have been testing my blood sugars since 29+2!

You should get an appointment with a diabetic clinic and dietician who will go through all that is expected and give you the stuff you need to self monitor your blood sugars. It's mainly all about portion control and watching your carbohydrate intake - not just cutting out sugar itself (though all this will be explained). It can be a bit daunting to begin with but you get the hang of it eventually:thumbup:

There's a good thread in the Gestational Complications area of the forum with lots of ladies who will offer helpand advice, some have diabetes before pregnancy, some have had multiple ppregnancies with GD and some like me are still learning the ropes but they are all very helpfull.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to help :)

Thank you, my obs said she didn't really know much about it?! I've got an appointment at the diabetic clinic on Tuesday so I will get more info then. I know they want me to have another scan and she said I defo will not go to full term, all just a lot to take in but thank you for help :-D

Thank you, my obs said she didn't really know much about it?! I've got an appointment at the diabetic clinic on Tuesday so I will get more info then. I know they want me to have another scan and she said I defo will not go to full term, all just a lot to take in but thank you for help :-D

Yeah you'll get another scan, maybe 2 depending on how far along you are, and how well you can manage your blood sugars- they will check babies growth to make sure that they are not getting too big.

I know here if you can control it with diet along then the max they let you go is 40+6, but if you need medication to help control your blood sugars (like I do!:dohh:) then they aim for induction between 38-39 weeks!

Try not to worry about it too much, its nothing you've done wrong. In some ladies it can't be helped, the placenta makes hormones that stop the insuline your body produces from working properly:dohh:

As I said they will explajn all that and things you can do to help at the clinic, but by all means drop me a message if you have any questions x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->