Gestational Diabetes Group - Us vs. the Carbs

But did you enjoy it?!

Hell to the yea! It was like feeding bread to a starving man. :)

Luckily it didn't go higher than 166 ... I checked at 2 hours after and it was 129. So, still slightly higher than it was supposed to be, but at least it was on the down swing!

Hi all

I hope you don't mind me popping on to ask some questions. I had my GTT yesterday (UK) due to high BMI and have just found out I have 'impaired GD'. I don't really know the difference between that and regular GD but my fasting results were 5 and after a sugary drink and 2 hour wait my results were 8.9.

It was my GP who called so she was only able to give me some quick advice and I will have to see a consultant at the hospital. She seems to think that it can be managed by diet, any idea what I can and can’t eat?

Also am I likely to have a big baby? I didn’t get tested for GTT when I was pregnant with my DD because I refused the test due to my phobia of needles, she weighed 7lbs 12oz.

Sorry to butt in and I haven't had time to read the thread yet just feeling sad and like I've let my baby down :(

You need to keep an eye on the total carb count of what you're eating. Try to keep it 30-45g of carbs for breakfast, 45-60g for lunch and dinner and 15g for snacks. You will likely find those carb amounts too high and will need to cut down on them. Watch your fruit - a banana seems healthy but 1/2 of one is 15g. Also, 1c of milk has 12g. Most people have to abandon regular milk and switch to alternatives as I believe some of us have. Stock up on yogurt, vegetables and lean protein as it will comprise the majority of your meals from here on.

Good luck!

I think I'm reaching the point in pregnancy where I'm just breaking down. Physically I'm so uncomfortable, I'm not handling stress well and I just ate a chocolate covered granola bar out of sheer desperation for food(with a side of insulin).

On a good note I guess, I read that at 35 weeks your weight gain peaks. I was down 1/2lb yesterday so I'm thinking I should be ok. I will be incredibly overjoyed if I managed to keep a 6lb weight gain for my entire pregnancy.

Northern, 6 lbs is awesome! It has been very hard for me, I've been doing very small things like 1 piece of a Hershey bar or I very very small bite of ice cream that DH got on the day he ran 12 miles (yes, he is crazy).

Kayleigh, we have all struggled with feeling like we let our babies down, so we understand! My 1 hr post drink was 8.9 and my 2 hr was 9.0, so right around yours. I am diet controlled and fairly open, but watch fried foods, more than a small piece of bread, etc. the more protein you can eat with your carbs the better, but don't forget your carbs with your protein or it can cause problems too. I have found cheese sticks to be good sides to snacks.

Thank you. I'm sure once I get my head around it I'll be ok. It just a case of trying to work out what meals I can eat. Is it similar to a low GI diet? How about eggs? Are they good to eat in the form of scrambled and omelette?

Eggs are good however you have them!

I am in the UK and have been under a few different hospital trusts - your fasting level is OK - that needs to be under 6.

At an hour you aim to be under 7.8 and at 2 hours I was told back to 6 but in some places that level is a little higher.

Do you have an appointment for the hospital dietican?

Not all GD women have big babies, I was undiagnosed with DD1 until 36 weeks and she was only 6lb 7oz. DD2 was 7lb 7oz. My current pregnancy the baby is between 10th and 15th centile x

Yeah, mine was measuring to be huge at a 28w ultrasounds, but at 34 weeks she was back to measuring on target. She's gearing up to be around 7.5lbs

Haven't got an appointment with the dietician yet but I'm due to see my consultant on Monday so the GP said it will probably be dealt with through her.

Yup, eggs are great! Meat is great... I was told to eat protein with every meal, even snacks. You will need to read labels on everything. Northern gave you some good tips! For me, I had/have to keep my carbs to 1 or 2 servings per meal. So, between 15g and 30g for me per meal. Usually, I eat less than 15g carbs per meal.

You can have things with "fake" sugar in it ...not sure if the sugar substitutes are the same in the UK as they are in US but I eat Splenda when I really must put something sugary in my stuff.

I have diet controlled GD as well, so it is possible and not horrible. Once you get used to it, I almost think I could keep eating like this forever.

For me, breads are the worst! White flour is my enemy and although I seem to be able to tolerate it slightly more than I used to - I still mostly avoid it. I now use bread for sandwiches that has 5g net carb per serving. Remember, when you count carbs you subtract the amount of fiber in it from the total carbs. Those don't really count. The amount of protein you eat also helps to slow the absorption of the carbs to your blood stream. Although, there are some varying degrees of how well this works depending on the type of protein.

My meals usually consist of meat and veggies. You can have salad and condiments like mayo and salad dressing are usually "freebies". Yes you can follow a Low-GI diet - but it will still be trial and error.

Some things one person can eat; others cannot. I can eat certain amounts of rice and potatoes but some people can't eat that at all.

Cheese also has like no carbs in it... I eat a lot of nuts and cheese for snacks. Yogurt is ok for snacking as long as you can find one low in sugar and high in protein. I have to go to a special grocery store to get the stuff I eat.

When you have time check out the thread from the start - we have great stuff throughout the entire thing. :D

Thanks that's some great advice. All sound so confusing! Hoping the dietician will be able to help me with a meal plan. One thing that worries me is all this talk of numbers, please tell me you don't find out your numbers by pricking your finger? Will this be a necessity? I'm awful with needles and just will not be able to do it to myself :(

Yes, unfortunately :hugs:

I test 6 x a day too.

If it helps my lancets now don't look like needle at all, you don't even see that bit. It doesn't hurt really once you are shown how to avoid nerves and sensitive fingers. You can get different 'sensitivities' of lancets so it only draws as much blood as needed.

Honestly, that part of it will become second nature.

It is all quite confusing and overwhelming at first. Don't be too hard on yourself - the way I think of it is we are all trying to learn as much as possible about a frustrating, changeable condition that at any other time other than in pregnancy you would have months to deal with. It is hard and there is so much individual variation as to what we can and can't eat.

The main thing I tell myself on bad days is at least I got a gestational complication where I have a chance to manage it without drugs or with minimal medication. If it was pre eclampsia or something else there would be nothing I could do. I hope that makes sense x

LOL it isn't second nature to me.... I forget to check my sugar all the time. :) I have an app on my phone that I have to set to remind me to do it. Luckily I only have to do it 4x's a day. But my fingers are always sore and I find it hurts... everyone has different equipment though that is better or worse than others. For a long time I was getting bruises on my fingers from the pricking. I know its not helping reassure you, but also good to know all the bad things that can be associated with it as well even if your experience is much better. :)

I've found just one of my fingers bruises almost every time I use it, so I just don't use that one now. The amount of blood you need for testing is very small and the lancets I have for my OneTouch meter are so small that it stops bleeding in 30 seconds or less. The other key is to keep the depth as low as possible. They told me 4 or 5 but I use 3 and still get plenty. It is no worse than sticking yourself with a needle while sewing and is far less painful than a paper cut.

I have one time use lancets this time - not a pen style one.

They come in different colours depending on how deep they go. I'm on the lowest level.

I have to squeeze my fingers to get enough blood out but I don't have bruises or any pain particularly.

I am really good at bleeding though :rofl: sometimes I won't be looking at my finger and will squeeze it a bit to get a good drop of blood and I have sprayed myself in the face like something out of a horror film!

Thanks for being honest. I'm really not looking forward to testing my blood and I will speak to the consultant about this. I found myself having a rubbish night sleep due to stressing about the whole thing :( woke up and didn't have a clue what to have for breakfast so settled for scrambled egg with cheese and a slice of wholemeal bread :shrug: I can see myself getting sick of eggs and on a work day I won't have time to make eggs for breakfast! I usually eat breakfast biscuits on the go but I'm guessing they're out.

I honestly thought it would just be a case of cutting out the junk cos I'm only boderline and overweight. I thought by cutting out chocolate, pizza, white bread and all the other rubbish I ate it would solve the issue. This is going to be a stressful and miserable last 10 weeks :(

That is a perfect breakfast, you might find you need to go onto a REALLY seeded bread - are you in the UK. I have soya and linseed bread and it is nice :flower:

I found in pregnancy 1 and 2 with GD I could have natural yoghurt with a tinned pear half, just in juice. I can't tolerate that this time sadly.

Also with the first two pregnancies I could have a very small portion of reddybrek, I mean child sized! And be fine.

If the hospital ask you to do 1hr testing you will find a lot of it is to do with changing your eating patterns - so OK you might have to have a tiny breakfast but an hour later you can have another snack.

I am very bad and often have cups of tea as breakfast! Preschool run makes things tough.

It is a lot more than people think. I had a coworker who had it and she ate whatever she wanted and never got sick or had to go on insulin. My diabetes nurse told me that the worse you eat before you get diagnosed, the easier it is to correct with diet. If you were a fairly healthy eater before (I was half decent), it's harder to correct because you're already doing things right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->